intro

  • Chris Larsson (Hrelgar) <igelkottinus@ya
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2002
      Greetings to all!

      I just discovered this group and hope that I may be tolerated despite
      my limited experience in woodworking. I have been working with wood as
      one of my many hobbies for more than 10 years but haven't done
      anything beautiful or wonderful like the stuff I've seen from you
      guys. Mostly just simple practical stuff. I also have not yet been
      striving for anything close to reproduction quality, but just 10'
      rule. I hope to get time to do better though.

      I have a sampling of some of my recent stuff. You can take a look at
      it at the following:

      http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Nordenhal/AandS-pages/lathe.html

      http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Nordenhal/AandS-pages/bed/finished-beds.html

      http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Nordenhal/AandS-pages/patrol-box/my-box1.html

      Of course the latter is not period at all, but practical.

      I have some more stuff but I haven't had a chance to post the pictures
      yet.

      I hope to replace my bed with a better more period looking thing this
      spring.

      On the subject of biscuits... I read some history that said that they
      were invented by a European. The tools were pretty expensive and were
      not commonly used until the 80s when the patent expired. Then using
      biscuits became quite common because the tools became much cheaper.
      Here's a website that tells who invented them:

      http://www.huntfamily.com/metz/bj_history.htm

      I would like to build a shaving horse and I saw the picture posted on
      this site recently. Can someone post the approximate dimensions of the
      major pieces and the type of wood used? Thanks a lot.

      Chris
    • Tom Rettie
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2002
        >I would like to build a shaving horse and I saw the picture posted on
        >this site recently. Can someone post the approximate dimensions of the
        >major pieces and the type of wood used? Thanks a lot.

        Chris,

        Welcome. Nice lathe. ;-)

        I know of two good sources for shaving horses: Roy Underhill's "The
        Woodwright's Shop" and Scott Landis' "The Workbench Book." Both are in
        print and may be available through your local library or inter-library loan.

        I generally agree with Roy that a shaving horse should be tailored for the
        person who is going to use it (and what they're going to use it for). He
        says most of his are from red or white oak, but he's also seen his students
        make them from red cedar, maple, pine, and walnut.

        Landis' book has a bunch of interesting designs for shave and brakes,
        including English-style ones where the dumbhead is supported by two struts
        on the outside instead of one coming up in the middle.

        Mine's about 6 feet long, and high enough so my thighs are parallel to the
        ground when I sit on it. Where to put the dumbhead kinda depends on how
        long your arms are. Mine's made mostly from hemlock and fir, which is light
        (good for carrying around to demos), but light (not as stable as it might
        be).

        Hope that helps,

        Tom R.

        Tom Rettie tom@...
        http://www.his.com/~tom/index.html
      • Omer
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 28 5:28 AM
              Just joined your list as you can tell.  I am not in the SCA but a few years ahead of most.  I am a member of the COHT an 18th century group.  When I lived in Calf. I was in the SCA but when I moved back to Ga. found that people do not camp at events.  Because I love camping and the night life of an event I have not joined here.   I have found no groups / clubs in my time period that centers on the old ways of woodworking.  What little I know I have had to learn myself and from Mr. Underhills books.

              I have many tools and little time to use or lean to use them, this will be changing soon.  I have built a springpole lathe and have drawn up plans for building a portable wheel lathe.  For trade or sale I build tresel tables, tops, inkle looms and mauls or clubs (so easy to make on the spot and visitors will buy them left and right) .  Our group here is about to start, if the Gov. will get out of the way, to rebuild an 18th century fort that used to stand in this area.  A great fun project but a  little scary.

              Any one on this list in N. Ga.?

                YMHS
              Omer, AKA Tavern