Grandps old tools

  • mahee of acre
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2 6:52 AM
      I recently made several beds that have glue-up legs. I do not own a
      lot of tools, but I do have a belt sander. So I sanded and sanded to
      get the edge smooth after the glue dried. It took forever to sand
      the edges smooth. Then, after having done half of them I saw the one
      tool I got from my grandfather, a hand plan. The hand plane took a
      couple of minutes to do what it took me an hour to do with my belt
      sander and did a better job too.

      Sometimes the old tools are the best tool for the job.

      <just another lesson learned by the inexperienced>

      your servant,
      mahee
    • Haraldr Bassi
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2 11:24 AM
        For those whose family is too healthy to be able to inherit tools, watch
        the flea markets and yard sales. I have found some truly amazing tools
        over the years. I won't pay collectors prices and am always looking for
        servicable tools instead of 'lookers' that the damn collectors are
        screwing to their walls ruining forever.

        As you are just starting down the path of playing with old tools, a piece
        of advice... be careful using a plane after having used a sander, the sand
        paper leaves pieces of stone (carborundum and silica) in the wood that
        then dulls the edges of your tools needlessly. For smoothing and rounding
        over the sharp edges of furniture, don't forget the simple solution of an
        old broken piece of glass. Take a small piece that is comfortable in your
        hand and you can use the sharp edge as a scraper, leaving a very nice
        finish on the piece. And if you have a source of free broken windows, the
        tool is free :)

        Enjoy and keep experimenting with tools... I am quite relishing the times
        I can be in the shop and hear myself breath and the sound of wood slicing
        away instead of the harsh tools.

        Haraldr

        --
        Haraldr Bassi, Frosted Hills, East
        haraldr at drakkar org
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7 2:05 PM
          A plane is the wrong tool for fast material removal in many cases.
          Depending on the needs, a drawknife is perfect. An experienced user of a
          sharp drawknife with a shave bench can do things that an equally
          experienced someone with a vise and a belt sander could not achieve in
          the same time frame. And the real upside is you don't need a mask to be
          able to breath. Or to keep changing belts to get to something remotely
          resembling a finished surface.

          Obviously a hand tool can be found for everything that our medieval
          counterparts did, as they didn't use power tools. It can take a bit of
          experience to become accomplished with some hand tools, and sharpening is
          probably the most important skill to learn.

          An example of a task we needed to accomplish a couple years ago, we were
          using a tapered spoon bit to make the holes in a set of 3 legged trestle
          tables and needed to taper to the same shape the round wood stock we were
          using for legs. I found that even without a shave horse available, just a
          basic vise on my high bench I was able to taper the ends in a few minutes,
          to the exact radius needed with final tuning and smoothing being done with
          a spoke shave and plane. I also ended up with a double handful of long
          shavings instead of a bucket of dust with a cup of it in my lungs.

          If anyone wants to experience a drawknife, spokeshave and shave bench,
          come down to Budgardr camp at Pennsic and let us put the tools into your
          hands.

          Haraldr

          Bill McNutt said:
          > I will say, though, that if it takes more time to remove stock with a
          belt sander than with a hand plane, you need a coarser grit.

          --
          Haraldr Bassi, Frosted Hills, East
          yahoo at drakkar org