Re: [MedievalSawdust] Tool for round tenons?

  • Don Bowen
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 1, 2004
      At 7/1/2004, you wrote:
      Has anyone ever seen a tool you can chuck in you lathe to make round
      tenons of a specific size?  Kinda works like a pencil sharpener, but
      you hold the wood and the cutter goes around.  It was used by a guy who
      made windsor chairs.  Anyone know what it's called and/or who sells
      something like that?

      Check Lee Valley.  They have round tendon cutters in many sizes. The smaller (<1")can be chucked in a 1/4 drill.  Others sell the same tool but at slight higher prices.

      Don Bowen
      Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
      Valley Center, CA             http://www.braingarage.com
    • The Luegges
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 1, 2004
        Got any more???  Friends or books, the price is right.  Besides, most of my friends are weirding out lately. Must be the heat...

        Oengus.

        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 1, 2004
          Hi,

          I believe Rockler sells a set of rounding type planes that would create what you are looking for.  They are usually found on the same page as the gustav stickley furniture books.  I think they attach to a drill.

          Steve

          James Winkler <jrwinkler@...> wrote:
          Of course..  one way to point dowels on a lathe is to buy a fairly expensive 'pattern follower'...  or copy set.  You could make consistant round tenons that way...  expensive... by consistant...  then again... ya' could learn to turn REALLY WELL...

          Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 9:17 AM
          Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Tool for round tenons?

          > The tool is called a stail engine or rounder plane

          Thanks for the tip.  I've seen rounder planes, but all were hand
          cranked.

          > Of course these solutions assume that the tenon is the same size as
          > the rail, producing straight grained round cross sections.

          Here in Ohio, we call that a dowel.  ;)

          Ulrich

        • Haraldr Bassi
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 1, 2004
            eBay has been known to have something like that, for hand augers, not
            lathes. You wouldn't want to be holding a piece of wood when it decides to
            start spinning at 110rpm (slowest I know of for a lathe). Instead, clamp
            the wood in your bench vise, grab your hollow auger and your brace, and
            you are done in a few seconds.

            Here is my search I use for eBay:
            http://search.ebay.com/tenon-cutter-spoke-pointer_W0QQcombineZyQQfromZR14QQfromZR9QQsatitleZQ28Q22tenonQ20cutterQ22Q2cQ20spokeQ20pointerQ22Q29QQsocolumnlayoutZ3QQsosortpropertyZ1

            This is a sample hit that might be what you are looking for, but it really
            looks more like a threading auger than just a hollow tenon cutter.

            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4123&item=6105058400&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

            There is also no reason you can't practice until you can make consistent
            tenons on the lathe using your standard lathe tools (scraper) and a
            caliper.

            For the people doing three legged stools, what was the state of the woods
            they were using? Did you use the same wood for the seat as the legs as for
            the braces?

            Did you bake the braces before sizing and inserting them into the legs?

            By dry heating the wood a bit, it will dry and shrink slightly, expanding
            when you have it in the joint, locking the tenon in tighter.

            Haraldr

            --
            Haraldr Bassi, Frosted Hills, East
            haraldr at drakkar org
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 2, 2004
              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, rikwolff@a... wrote:

              > 1.) Don't skimp on the hardness or the diameter of the legs;
              > no less than 2 inches, if you ask me.

              If you're using turner's joints (round tenons), you can't go much
              less than 2 inches on the posts without producing a very weak joint.
              The smaller the diameter of the post, the closer together the
              mortises are and the less wood there is in between them to hold
              things together.

              An alternative is to use a square tenon on one rail and a round one
              on the ajoining rail. The round one goes through the square one,
              locking it in place. It lets you do through tenons (common in
              period) and also leaves a stronger post.

              > The depth of the round mortices for the horizontal pieces is
              > the only source of lateral stability (fighting against sway
              > and what I can only describe as corkscrewing: you attempt a
              > swivel, and the poor joints bend to allow it; next thing
              > you know, CRUNCH).

              When using turner's joints for the top seat rails, I always make the
              tenons long enough that they intersect, and miter them so the ends
              joint together snug. You can stagger the lower rails so they don't
              intersect, or they only partially intersect and lock each other in
              place.

              However you do your tenons, plan on there being some tension in the
              horizontal rails. Even with a drill press, you probably won't bore
              the mortises precisely on every post. This tension can help hold
              everything together though; I've got stools with no glue or pegs,
              they're rock solid on just the internal tension of the rails and
              posts.

              Regards,

              Fin
              (Tom R.)
            • mahee of acre
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 2, 2004
                I have also seen one where your wood must be cut square, It goes in
                a square socket that you while pushing the wood through a box with
                blades in it. This lets you cut longer tennons if needed. But, it
                does not go on a lathe.

                your servant,
                mahee