Re: [MedievalSawdust] Tool for round tenons?

  • Don Bowen
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 1, 2004
      At 7/1/2004, you wrote:
      Has anyone ever seen a tool you can chuck in you lathe to make round
      tenons of a specific size?  Kinda works like a pencil sharpener, but
      you hold the wood and the cutter goes around.  It was used by a guy who
      made windsor chairs.  Anyone know what it's called and/or who sells
      something like that?

      Check Lee Valley.  They have round tendon cutters in many sizes. The smaller (<1")can be chucked in a 1/4 drill.  Others sell the same tool but at slight higher prices.

      Don Bowen
      Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
      Valley Center, CA             http://www.braingarage.com
    • maeryk
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 1, 2004
        Not at all! In one of the shop tips in either Fine Woodworking, or Woodworkers Joural or the like a few months ago, they described how to make a good, cheap, follower.

        The clamped a piece of wood to the bedrails of the lathe, to give a flat bearing surface. They clamped the template to that.
        They basically made a sled out of a piece or two of 2x4 that rode on the flat bearing surface, and cut a point (the "follower") on the bottom, and bolted a cutter piece (the drawing made it look like a snapped off chisel head..) above it at the same depth.

        Cheap, easy, and as far as I could see, relatively successful.

        I havent tried it yet.. I havent even had hte guts to turn a bowl yet.. but my spindle work is getting REAL good. (and people are begging me to stop giving them free form candleholders)

        Maeryk

        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 1, 2004
          Got any more???  Friends or books, the price is right.  Besides, most of my friends are weirding out lately. Must be the heat...

          Oengus.

          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 1, 2004
            Hi,

            I believe Rockler sells a set of rounding type planes that would create what you are looking for.  They are usually found on the same page as the gustav stickley furniture books.  I think they attach to a drill.

            Steve

            Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 9:17 AM

            > The tool is called a stail engine or rounder plane

            Thanks for the tip.  I've seen rounder planes, but all were hand
            cranked.

            > Of course these solutions assume that the tenon is the same size as
            > the rail, producing straight grained round cross sections.

            Here in Ohio, we call that a dowel.  ;)

            Ulrich

          • Haraldr Bassi
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 1, 2004
              eBay has been known to have something like that, for hand augers, not
              lathes. You wouldn't want to be holding a piece of wood when it decides to
              start spinning at 110rpm (slowest I know of for a lathe). Instead, clamp
              the wood in your bench vise, grab your hollow auger and your brace, and
              you are done in a few seconds.

              Here is my search I use for eBay:
              http://search.ebay.com/tenon-cutter-spoke-pointer_W0QQcombineZyQQfromZR14QQfromZR9QQsatitleZQ28Q22tenonQ20cutterQ22Q2cQ20spokeQ20pointerQ22Q29QQsocolumnlayoutZ3QQsosortpropertyZ1

              This is a sample hit that might be what you are looking for, but it really
              looks more like a threading auger than just a hollow tenon cutter.

              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4123&item=6105058400&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

              There is also no reason you can't practice until you can make consistent
              tenons on the lathe using your standard lathe tools (scraper) and a
              caliper.

              For the people doing three legged stools, what was the state of the woods
              they were using? Did you use the same wood for the seat as the legs as for
              the braces?

              Did you bake the braces before sizing and inserting them into the legs?

              By dry heating the wood a bit, it will dry and shrink slightly, expanding
              when you have it in the joint, locking the tenon in tighter.

              Haraldr

              --
              Haraldr Bassi, Frosted Hills, East
              haraldr at drakkar org
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 2, 2004
                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, rikwolff@a... wrote:

                > 1.) Don't skimp on the hardness or the diameter of the legs;
                > no less than 2 inches, if you ask me.

                If you're using turner's joints (round tenons), you can't go much
                less than 2 inches on the posts without producing a very weak joint.
                The smaller the diameter of the post, the closer together the
                mortises are and the less wood there is in between them to hold
                things together.

                An alternative is to use a square tenon on one rail and a round one
                on the ajoining rail. The round one goes through the square one,
                locking it in place. It lets you do through tenons (common in
                period) and also leaves a stronger post.

                > The depth of the round mortices for the horizontal pieces is
                > the only source of lateral stability (fighting against sway
                > and what I can only describe as corkscrewing: you attempt a
                > swivel, and the poor joints bend to allow it; next thing
                > you know, CRUNCH).

                When using turner's joints for the top seat rails, I always make the
                tenons long enough that they intersect, and miter them so the ends
                joint together snug. You can stagger the lower rails so they don't
                intersect, or they only partially intersect and lock each other in
                place.

                However you do your tenons, plan on there being some tension in the
                horizontal rails. Even with a drill press, you probably won't bore
                the mortises precisely on every post. This tension can help hold
                everything together though; I've got stools with no glue or pegs,
                they're rock solid on just the internal tension of the rails and
                posts.

                Regards,

                Fin
                (Tom R.)
              • mahee of acre
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 2, 2004
                  I have also seen one where your wood must be cut square, It goes in
                  a square socket that you while pushing the wood through a box with
                  blades in it. This lets you cut longer tennons if needed. But, it
                  does not go on a lathe.

                  your servant,
                  mahee