Re: [MedievalSawdust] Tool for round tenons?

  • gmcdavid@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 1 6:55 AM

      > Has anyone ever seen a tool you can chuck in you lathe to make round

      > tenons of a specific size? Kinda works like a pencil sharpener, but
      > you hold the wood and the cutter goes around. It was used by a guy who
      > made windsor chairs. Anyone know what it's called and/or who sells
      > something like that?

      Don't know about lathes, but Lee Valley sells "tenon cutters" for drills:

      http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=42299&category=1,180,42288,45539&ccurrency=1&SID=

      Woodcraft carries them as well, so you could see them in a store.

      I think the old "hollow augers", for use in a bit brace, would do the same thing.

      A cheaper alternative, for use by hand, is a dowel rounder:

      http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?dept_id=11880

      http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2734

      I have a couple of these which work OK.   An old "rounder plane" is essentially the same thing if you can find one.

      Glenn McDavid
      gmcdavid@...
      http://www.winternet.com/~gmcdavid

    • Don Bowen
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 1 7:26 AM
        At 7/1/2004, you wrote:
        Has anyone ever seen a tool you can chuck in you lathe to make round
        tenons of a specific size?  Kinda works like a pencil sharpener, but
        you hold the wood and the cutter goes around.  It was used by a guy who
        made windsor chairs.  Anyone know what it's called and/or who sells
        something like that?

        Check Lee Valley.  They have round tendon cutters in many sizes. The smaller (<1")can be chucked in a 1/4 drill.  Others sell the same tool but at slight higher prices.

        Don Bowen
        Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
        Valley Center, CA             http://www.braingarage.com
      • gmcdavid@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 1 7:53 AM

          FWIW. http://www.crafts32.fsnet.co.uk/products_rotary_planes.htm claims that their product can be used on a slow lathe.  However, I have not seen it, or any independent review.

        • rikwolff@aol.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 1 2:06 PM
            The one thing I have completed satisfactorily in my brand-new avocation: a triangle stool. General advice:

            1.) Don't skimp on the hardness or the diameter of the legs; no less than 2 inches, if you ask me. The depth of the round mortices for the horizontal pieces is the only source of lateral stability (fighting against sway and what I can only describe as corkscrewing: you attempt a swivel, and the poor joints bend to allow it; next thing you know, CRUNCH).

            2.) If you still have instability (like I did, because I didn't drill the mortices deep enough or whittle the tenons long enough), try this: you know the two little vertical rails between the legs (total six)? Instead of making them vertical, move the top holes together slightly and the bottom holes apart slightly, and situate those rails slightly towards an A frame, such as you'd see in a span of a radio tower. This is likely to pull the piece out of period, but it makes the stool rock-solid.

            Reijnier VerPlanck.
          • James Winkler
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 1 2:07 PM
              Of course..  one way to point dowels on a lathe is to buy a fairly expensive 'pattern follower'...  or copy set.  You could make consistant round tenons that way...  expensive... by consistant...  then again... ya' could learn to turn REALLY WELL...

              Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 9:17 AM
              Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Tool for round tenons?

              > The tool is called a stail engine or rounder plane

              Thanks for the tip.  I've seen rounder planes, but all were hand
              cranked.

              > Of course these solutions assume that the tenon is the same size as
              > the rail, producing straight grained round cross sections.

              Here in Ohio, we call that a dowel.  ;)

              Ulrich

            • maeryk
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 1 2:45 PM
                Harbor Freight sells them, as do the upscale woodworking supply catalogs.

                They suggest you use them for making "rustic log furniture".. theres
                actually a couple of variants.. most of the ones I have seen are designed
                for hand drills.

                You can also make your own.. its basically an easier version of a
                threadbox.. Underhill shows how to make one in one of the books, I believe.

                Maeryk

                > The stool thread has got me thinking about something I saw a while back
                > on TV....
                >
                > Has anyone ever seen a tool you can chuck in you lathe to make round
                > tenons of a specific size? Kinda works like a pencil sharpener, but
                > you hold the wood and the cutter goes around. It was used by a guy who
                > made windsor chairs. Anyone know what it's called and/or who sells
                > something like that?
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Ulrich

              • maeryk
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 1 2:51 PM
                  Not at all! In one of the shop tips in either Fine Woodworking, or Woodworkers Joural or the like a few months ago, they described how to make a good, cheap, follower.

                  The clamped a piece of wood to the bedrails of the lathe, to give a flat bearing surface. They clamped the template to that.
                  They basically made a sled out of a piece or two of 2x4 that rode on the flat bearing surface, and cut a point (the "follower") on the bottom, and bolted a cutter piece (the drawing made it look like a snapped off chisel head..) above it at the same depth.

                  Cheap, easy, and as far as I could see, relatively successful.

                  I havent tried it yet.. I havent even had hte guts to turn a bowl yet.. but my spindle work is getting REAL good. (and people are begging me to stop giving them free form candleholders)

                  Maeryk

                  Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 9:17 AM

                  > The tool is called a stail engine or rounder plane

                  Thanks for the tip.  I've seen rounder planes, but all were hand
                  cranked.

                  > Of course these solutions assume that the tenon is the same size as
                  > the rail, producing straight grained round cross sections.

                  Here in Ohio, we call that a dowel.  ;)

                  Ulrich

                • The Luegges
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 1 3:19 PM
                    Got any more???  Friends or books, the price is right.  Besides, most of my friends are weirding out lately. Must be the heat...

                    Oengus.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 1 6:22 PM
                      Hi,

                      I believe Rockler sells a set of rounding type planes that would create what you are looking for.  They are usually found on the same page as the gustav stickley furniture books.  I think they attach to a drill.

                      Steve

                      Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 9:17 AM

                      > The tool is called a stail engine or rounder plane

                      Thanks for the tip.  I've seen rounder planes, but all were hand
                      cranked.

                      > Of course these solutions assume that the tenon is the same size as
                      > the rail, producing straight grained round cross sections.

                      Here in Ohio, we call that a dowel.  ;)

                      Ulrich

                    • Haraldr Bassi
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 1 10:17 PM
                        eBay has been known to have something like that, for hand augers, not
                        lathes. You wouldn't want to be holding a piece of wood when it decides to
                        start spinning at 110rpm (slowest I know of for a lathe). Instead, clamp
                        the wood in your bench vise, grab your hollow auger and your brace, and
                        you are done in a few seconds.

                        Here is my search I use for eBay:
                        http://search.ebay.com/tenon-cutter-spoke-pointer_W0QQcombineZyQQfromZR14QQfromZR9QQsatitleZQ28Q22tenonQ20cutterQ22Q2cQ20spokeQ20pointerQ22Q29QQsocolumnlayoutZ3QQsosortpropertyZ1

                        This is a sample hit that might be what you are looking for, but it really
                        looks more like a threading auger than just a hollow tenon cutter.

                        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4123&item=6105058400&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

                        There is also no reason you can't practice until you can make consistent
                        tenons on the lathe using your standard lathe tools (scraper) and a
                        caliper.

                        For the people doing three legged stools, what was the state of the woods
                        they were using? Did you use the same wood for the seat as the legs as for
                        the braces?

                        Did you bake the braces before sizing and inserting them into the legs?

                        By dry heating the wood a bit, it will dry and shrink slightly, expanding
                        when you have it in the joint, locking the tenon in tighter.

                        Haraldr

                        --
                        Haraldr Bassi, Frosted Hills, East
                        haraldr at drakkar org
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 2 5:16 AM
                          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, rikwolff@a... wrote:

                          > 1.) Don't skimp on the hardness or the diameter of the legs;
                          > no less than 2 inches, if you ask me.

                          If you're using turner's joints (round tenons), you can't go much
                          less than 2 inches on the posts without producing a very weak joint.
                          The smaller the diameter of the post, the closer together the
                          mortises are and the less wood there is in between them to hold
                          things together.

                          An alternative is to use a square tenon on one rail and a round one
                          on the ajoining rail. The round one goes through the square one,
                          locking it in place. It lets you do through tenons (common in
                          period) and also leaves a stronger post.

                          > The depth of the round mortices for the horizontal pieces is
                          > the only source of lateral stability (fighting against sway
                          > and what I can only describe as corkscrewing: you attempt a
                          > swivel, and the poor joints bend to allow it; next thing
                          > you know, CRUNCH).

                          When using turner's joints for the top seat rails, I always make the
                          tenons long enough that they intersect, and miter them so the ends
                          joint together snug. You can stagger the lower rails so they don't
                          intersect, or they only partially intersect and lock each other in
                          place.

                          However you do your tenons, plan on there being some tension in the
                          horizontal rails. Even with a drill press, you probably won't bore
                          the mortises precisely on every post. This tension can help hold
                          everything together though; I've got stools with no glue or pegs,
                          they're rock solid on just the internal tension of the rails and
                          posts.

                          Regards,

                          Fin
                          (Tom R.)
                        • mahee of acre
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 2 6:33 AM
                            I have also seen one where your wood must be cut square, It goes in
                            a square socket that you while pushing the wood through a box with
                            blades in it. This lets you cut longer tennons if needed. But, it
                            does not go on a lathe.

                            your servant,
                            mahee