Hand Carved Lace Bobbins

  • Rhys
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 24, 2004
      Greetings,

      I am new to the list and seeking information on hand carving of lace
      bobbins. I have a very simple lender set at the moment that are
      obviously hand made, not made on a lathe, and would like to know how
      to make them.

      I have almost no woodworking experience but would like to know what
      tools and materials to start out with. I can probably work the rest
      out from there...

      Please reply in private to 'the_black_rhys@...', I'd hate to
      clog up the list with my silly newbie questions...

      -rhys fforestwr
      Canton of Abertridwr, Barony of Aneala, Kingdom of Lochac
    • mahee of acre
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 24, 2004
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Rhys" <the_black_rhys@y...>
        wrote:
        > Greetings,
        >
        > I am new to the list and seeking information on hand carving of
        lace bobbins. I have a very simple lender set at the moment that are
        > obviously hand made, not made on a lathe, and would like to know
        how to make them.

        I have never seen any that were not turned. But any long shape in
        mathced pairs could work. I thnik you could make a very simple bow
        lathe and make some really nice pairs, and it would be easy to work
        on at events. I have made a couple and it is not that hard. I am not
        a really good woodworker and I did it, so I have confidence that you
        will have little difficulty. I used a very sharp screwdriver as my
        cutting tool...thankfully I own better now, but did not when I first
        created mine.

        your servant,
        mahee
      • gmcdavid@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 24, 2004
          > I thnik you could make a very simple bow
          > lathe and make some really nice pairs, and it would be
          > easy to work on at events.

          See

          http://www.historicgames.com/lathes/mylathe.html
          http://www.historicgames.com/lathes/bowlathes.html

          Glenn McDavid
          gmcdavid@...
          http://www.winternet.com/~gmcdavid
        • windsingersmoon
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 24, 2004
            Oh, that's Wonderful!!!!
            I was wanting to make some lace bobbins also !!!!
            (and I'm a carver, not a turner.......but this site has inspired me
            to try it!!!)
            THANKYOU!!!
            Shara