Re: [MedievalSawdust] buying wood

  • Arhur Slaughter /Finn Mac Art
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
      As stated bgefore  sticker the wood and leave it to adjust to your shop. I usualy try to let  it set in my shop(, which is in a basement , hence often rather damp even with the dehumidifier running.) for at least a week.  Pine is "lively" at best so get it used to your work area before cutting.
      Finn
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 19, 2004
        I made a huge Viking dough bowl/trough out of a split log of spalted
        poplar.....
        My step-dad had cut down the tree then asked me if I'd like to have
        one of the bigger truck sections for dough bowls, he'd even split it
        for me......well, he'd left it laying around awhile before offering
        it to me and by the time I got it, it was heavily streaked
        throughout with brush stokes of yellow and orange and pink and blue
        and purple and bluegray.......oh lordy, how I HATED carving out that
        color!!!! every pass of one of my wide Swedish fishtail gouges I
        prayed would not reveal plain creamy white poplar beneath...but I
        was lucky, the color was throughout the thickness of the log.

        My dough throff (sp) was a thing of true natural beauty.
        I soaked clear mineral oil into it and then sealed it with white
        beeswax and turpentine. I don't care if the mineral oil
        wasn't 'period' I didn't want to use ANYthing to distract from
        the colors....

        As for the color-painted poplar you found....I actually seek it out.
        I once took a 1 x 4 of it, all dark purple/brown to the cashier to
        pay for and she looked at it puzzled "I didn't know we sold Black
        Walnut......" (you Don't, it's Poplar) "No, it's black walnut,....I
        know what it looks like..." (true, but so do I and that's why I want
        this piece, because it looks like it, but doesn't 'cost' like
        it...this is heartwood...)
        She still insisted on calling someone from the back to tell her how
        to ring it up. The guy glanced at it ""1 x 4 Poplar!" she looked
        at him with her mouth open,...not believeing him...."It's heartwood
        poplar....sometimes it just looks this way"

        Enjoy it.
        Shara

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 20 9:24 AM
          Me, too! Interesting stuff, isn't it. I made a voxtorp-style norse box
          out of it. My lady immediately co-opted it for her "stuff."

          Will