Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: buying wood

  • Dragano Abbruciati
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 17 7:17 AM
      I have the same problem here (live on the Gulf of Mexico).  I find that if I can buy my wood a little green, the boards tend not to warp as badly in my shed.

      Dragano (who, if he had a basement, would have an indoor underground swimming pool)

      mahee of acre <mahee_of_acre@...> wrote:
      > The humidity of your shop is different
      > than that of the store.
      >
      > Where is your shop?

      Mine is in my garage. I live a few miles from the ocean, so I always
      have high humidity. :-(

      A dehumidifier...have to look into that.

      ys,
      mahee

    • Arhur Slaughter /Finn Mac Art
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 17 11:11 AM
        As stated bgefore  sticker the wood and leave it to adjust to your shop. I usualy try to let  it set in my shop(, which is in a basement , hence often rather damp even with the dehumidifier running.) for at least a week.  Pine is "lively" at best so get it used to your work area before cutting.
        Finn
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 19 7:45 PM
          I made a huge Viking dough bowl/trough out of a split log of spalted
          poplar.....
          My step-dad had cut down the tree then asked me if I'd like to have
          one of the bigger truck sections for dough bowls, he'd even split it
          for me......well, he'd left it laying around awhile before offering
          it to me and by the time I got it, it was heavily streaked
          throughout with brush stokes of yellow and orange and pink and blue
          and purple and bluegray.......oh lordy, how I HATED carving out that
          color!!!! every pass of one of my wide Swedish fishtail gouges I
          prayed would not reveal plain creamy white poplar beneath...but I
          was lucky, the color was throughout the thickness of the log.

          My dough throff (sp) was a thing of true natural beauty.
          I soaked clear mineral oil into it and then sealed it with white
          beeswax and turpentine. I don't care if the mineral oil
          wasn't 'period' I didn't want to use ANYthing to distract from
          the colors....

          As for the color-painted poplar you found....I actually seek it out.
          I once took a 1 x 4 of it, all dark purple/brown to the cashier to
          pay for and she looked at it puzzled "I didn't know we sold Black
          Walnut......" (you Don't, it's Poplar) "No, it's black walnut,....I
          know what it looks like..." (true, but so do I and that's why I want
          this piece, because it looks like it, but doesn't 'cost' like
          it...this is heartwood...)
          She still insisted on calling someone from the back to tell her how
          to ring it up. The guy glanced at it ""1 x 4 Poplar!" she looked
          at him with her mouth open,...not believeing him...."It's heartwood
          poplar....sometimes it just looks this way"

          Enjoy it.
          Shara

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 20, 2004
            Me, too! Interesting stuff, isn't it. I made a voxtorp-style norse box
            out of it. My lady immediately co-opted it for her "stuff."

            Will