Re: [MedievalSawdust] buying wood

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004

      > I was at Lowe's a few months ago for some hardware
      > and walked the pine
      > aisle on a whim. I found a piece of birds-eye pine
      > (I don't know how
      > else to describe it), so I grabbed it. It'll
      > probably wind up as
      > panels in an Austrian-stlye chest.
      >
      > Ulrich

      I've got a chest made from a sheet of poplar
      plywood that had a bird's eye pattern. Never
      seen poplar like that before.... or after.....
      I gave a sheet that had some really nice purple
      to another guy to work with. He made it into a
      nice spiff table with purle heart trim...

      I just pulled a piece of poplar out of the stack
      at work ( and set it off to one side ) that
      had every color I've ever seen in poplar except
      the 'white' that your normally see. Black, purple,
      brown ( almost like walnut ) dark green. It even
      has some tiger striping to it....

      It's gonna be something interesting I think....

      =====
      Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
      Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • mahee of acre
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004
        > The humidity of your shop is different
        > than that of the store.
        >
        > Where is your shop?

        Mine is in my garage. I live a few miles from the ocean, so I always
        have high humidity. :-(

        A dehumidifier...have to look into that.

        ys,
        mahee
      • Dragano Abbruciati
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
          I have the same problem here (live on the Gulf of Mexico).  I find that if I can buy my wood a little green, the boards tend not to warp as badly in my shed.

          Dragano (who, if he had a basement, would have an indoor underground swimming pool)

          mahee of acre <mahee_of_acre@...> wrote:
          > The humidity of your shop is different
          > than that of the store.
          >
          > Where is your shop?

          Mine is in my garage. I live a few miles from the ocean, so I always
          have high humidity. :-(

          A dehumidifier...have to look into that.

          ys,
          mahee

        • Arhur Slaughter /Finn Mac Art
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
            As stated bgefore  sticker the wood and leave it to adjust to your shop. I usualy try to let  it set in my shop(, which is in a basement , hence often rather damp even with the dehumidifier running.) for at least a week.  Pine is "lively" at best so get it used to your work area before cutting.
            Finn
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 19, 2004
              I made a huge Viking dough bowl/trough out of a split log of spalted
              poplar.....
              My step-dad had cut down the tree then asked me if I'd like to have
              one of the bigger truck sections for dough bowls, he'd even split it
              for me......well, he'd left it laying around awhile before offering
              it to me and by the time I got it, it was heavily streaked
              throughout with brush stokes of yellow and orange and pink and blue
              and purple and bluegray.......oh lordy, how I HATED carving out that
              color!!!! every pass of one of my wide Swedish fishtail gouges I
              prayed would not reveal plain creamy white poplar beneath...but I
              was lucky, the color was throughout the thickness of the log.

              My dough throff (sp) was a thing of true natural beauty.
              I soaked clear mineral oil into it and then sealed it with white
              beeswax and turpentine. I don't care if the mineral oil
              wasn't 'period' I didn't want to use ANYthing to distract from
              the colors....

              As for the color-painted poplar you found....I actually seek it out.
              I once took a 1 x 4 of it, all dark purple/brown to the cashier to
              pay for and she looked at it puzzled "I didn't know we sold Black
              Walnut......" (you Don't, it's Poplar) "No, it's black walnut,....I
              know what it looks like..." (true, but so do I and that's why I want
              this piece, because it looks like it, but doesn't 'cost' like
              it...this is heartwood...)
              She still insisted on calling someone from the back to tell her how
              to ring it up. The guy glanced at it ""1 x 4 Poplar!" she looked
              at him with her mouth open,...not believeing him...."It's heartwood
              poplar....sometimes it just looks this way"

              Enjoy it.
              Shara

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 20, 2004
                Me, too! Interesting stuff, isn't it. I made a voxtorp-style norse box
                out of it. My lady immediately co-opted it for her "stuff."

                Will