Re: [MedievalSawdust] buying wood

  • Joseph Hayes
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004
      --- mahee of acre <mahee_of_acre@...> wrote:
      > O.k. I go to Lowes or Home Depot and I buy wood, yes cheap pine. It
      > is straight and looks pretty good...then I go home with it and the
      > next day it is warped. What am I doing wrong? How do you take care
      > of wood to make it stay looking good and straight?

      I buy from them all the time. You can minimize movement by picking
      through the lumber for some good choices.

      The most common movement is cupping. The best way I've heard to
      describe this is that the curved rings try to straighten out.

      When trying to reduce cupping, you'll want to look at the end grain.
      Stay away from wood with curved rings in the end-grain (which indicates
      it came from the outside of the trunk) and look for wood with rings
      perpendicular to the board's width (which indicates it came from the
      middle of the trunk).

      You're not going to find quartersawn lumber, but you don't have to
      settle for crap.

      I was at Lowe's a few months ago for some hardware and walked the pine
      aisle on a whim. I found a piece of birds-eye pine (I don't know how
      else to describe it), so I grabbed it. It'll probably wind up as
      panels in an Austrian-stlye chest.

      Ulrich

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004
        --- mahee of acre <mahee_of_acre@...> wrote:
        > This may sound like a stupid question but.... best
        > place to learn...
        >
        > O.k. I go to Lowes or Home Depot and I buy wood, yes
        > cheap pine. It
        > is straight and looks pretty good...then I go home
        > with it and the
        > next day it is warped. What am I doing wrong? How do
        > you take care
        > of wood to make it stay looking good and straight?
        >
        > Thank you,
        > mahee

        The humidity of your shop is different
        than that of the store.

        Where is your shop?

        Mine is in the basement, and I have a
        dehumidifier running constantly this
        time of year. I get about a gallon a day
        this time if year....

        ( old house, block wall foundation )

        =====
        Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
        Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004

          > I was at Lowe's a few months ago for some hardware
          > and walked the pine
          > aisle on a whim. I found a piece of birds-eye pine
          > (I don't know how
          > else to describe it), so I grabbed it. It'll
          > probably wind up as
          > panels in an Austrian-stlye chest.
          >
          > Ulrich

          I've got a chest made from a sheet of poplar
          plywood that had a bird's eye pattern. Never
          seen poplar like that before.... or after.....
          I gave a sheet that had some really nice purple
          to another guy to work with. He made it into a
          nice spiff table with purle heart trim...

          I just pulled a piece of poplar out of the stack
          at work ( and set it off to one side ) that
          had every color I've ever seen in poplar except
          the 'white' that your normally see. Black, purple,
          brown ( almost like walnut ) dark green. It even
          has some tiger striping to it....

          It's gonna be something interesting I think....

          =====
          Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
          Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • mahee of acre
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004
            > The humidity of your shop is different
            > than that of the store.
            >
            > Where is your shop?

            Mine is in my garage. I live a few miles from the ocean, so I always
            have high humidity. :-(

            A dehumidifier...have to look into that.

            ys,
            mahee
          • Dragano Abbruciati
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
              I have the same problem here (live on the Gulf of Mexico).  I find that if I can buy my wood a little green, the boards tend not to warp as badly in my shed.

              Dragano (who, if he had a basement, would have an indoor underground swimming pool)

              mahee of acre <mahee_of_acre@...> wrote:
              > The humidity of your shop is different
              > than that of the store.
              >
              > Where is your shop?

              Mine is in my garage. I live a few miles from the ocean, so I always
              have high humidity. :-(

              A dehumidifier...have to look into that.

              ys,
              mahee

            • Arhur Slaughter /Finn Mac Art
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
                As stated bgefore  sticker the wood and leave it to adjust to your shop. I usualy try to let  it set in my shop(, which is in a basement , hence often rather damp even with the dehumidifier running.) for at least a week.  Pine is "lively" at best so get it used to your work area before cutting.
                Finn

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 19, 2004
                  I made a huge Viking dough bowl/trough out of a split log of spalted
                  poplar.....
                  My step-dad had cut down the tree then asked me if I'd like to have
                  one of the bigger truck sections for dough bowls, he'd even split it
                  for me......well, he'd left it laying around awhile before offering
                  it to me and by the time I got it, it was heavily streaked
                  throughout with brush stokes of yellow and orange and pink and blue
                  and purple and bluegray.......oh lordy, how I HATED carving out that
                  color!!!! every pass of one of my wide Swedish fishtail gouges I
                  prayed would not reveal plain creamy white poplar beneath...but I
                  was lucky, the color was throughout the thickness of the log.

                  My dough throff (sp) was a thing of true natural beauty.
                  I soaked clear mineral oil into it and then sealed it with white
                  beeswax and turpentine. I don't care if the mineral oil
                  wasn't 'period' I didn't want to use ANYthing to distract from
                  the colors....

                  As for the color-painted poplar you found....I actually seek it out.
                  I once took a 1 x 4 of it, all dark purple/brown to the cashier to
                  pay for and she looked at it puzzled "I didn't know we sold Black
                  Walnut......" (you Don't, it's Poplar) "No, it's black walnut,....I
                  know what it looks like..." (true, but so do I and that's why I want
                  this piece, because it looks like it, but doesn't 'cost' like
                  it...this is heartwood...)
                  She still insisted on calling someone from the back to tell her how
                  to ring it up. The guy glanced at it ""1 x 4 Poplar!" she looked
                  at him with her mouth open,...not believeing him...."It's heartwood
                  poplar....sometimes it just looks this way"

                  Enjoy it.
                  Shara

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 20, 2004
                    Me, too! Interesting stuff, isn't it. I made a voxtorp-style norse box
                    out of it. My lady immediately co-opted it for her "stuff."

                    Will