Re: [MedievalSawdust] buying wood

  • kjworz@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004
      Best idea? Don't buy from Lowes or Home Despot. Find a better supplier. The problem is nto always "dry store, damp basement". More often than not the pallets of wood at the Borg are sopping wet. The tree source are quite often low quality fast growing types from their tree farms. Lots of reaction wood.

      --
      -Chris Schwartz
      Silver Spring, MD

      > This may sound like a stupid question but.... best place to learn...
      >
      > O.k. I go to Lowes or Home Depot and I buy wood, yes cheap pine. It
      > is straight and looks pretty good...then I go home with it and the
      > next day it is warped. What am I doing wrong? How do you take care
      > of wood to make it stay looking good and straight?
      >
      > Thank you,
      > mahee
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Joseph Hayes
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004
        --- mahee of acre <mahee_of_acre@...> wrote:
        > O.k. I go to Lowes or Home Depot and I buy wood, yes cheap pine. It
        > is straight and looks pretty good...then I go home with it and the
        > next day it is warped. What am I doing wrong? How do you take care
        > of wood to make it stay looking good and straight?

        I buy from them all the time. You can minimize movement by picking
        through the lumber for some good choices.

        The most common movement is cupping. The best way I've heard to
        describe this is that the curved rings try to straighten out.

        When trying to reduce cupping, you'll want to look at the end grain.
        Stay away from wood with curved rings in the end-grain (which indicates
        it came from the outside of the trunk) and look for wood with rings
        perpendicular to the board's width (which indicates it came from the
        middle of the trunk).

        You're not going to find quartersawn lumber, but you don't have to
        settle for crap.

        I was at Lowe's a few months ago for some hardware and walked the pine
        aisle on a whim. I found a piece of birds-eye pine (I don't know how
        else to describe it), so I grabbed it. It'll probably wind up as
        panels in an Austrian-stlye chest.

        Ulrich

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004
          --- mahee of acre <mahee_of_acre@...> wrote:
          > This may sound like a stupid question but.... best
          > place to learn...
          >
          > O.k. I go to Lowes or Home Depot and I buy wood, yes
          > cheap pine. It
          > is straight and looks pretty good...then I go home
          > with it and the
          > next day it is warped. What am I doing wrong? How do
          > you take care
          > of wood to make it stay looking good and straight?
          >
          > Thank you,
          > mahee

          The humidity of your shop is different
          than that of the store.

          Where is your shop?

          Mine is in the basement, and I have a
          dehumidifier running constantly this
          time of year. I get about a gallon a day
          this time if year....

          ( old house, block wall foundation )

          =====
          Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
          Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004

            > I was at Lowe's a few months ago for some hardware
            > and walked the pine
            > aisle on a whim. I found a piece of birds-eye pine
            > (I don't know how
            > else to describe it), so I grabbed it. It'll
            > probably wind up as
            > panels in an Austrian-stlye chest.
            >
            > Ulrich

            I've got a chest made from a sheet of poplar
            plywood that had a bird's eye pattern. Never
            seen poplar like that before.... or after.....
            I gave a sheet that had some really nice purple
            to another guy to work with. He made it into a
            nice spiff table with purle heart trim...

            I just pulled a piece of poplar out of the stack
            at work ( and set it off to one side ) that
            had every color I've ever seen in poplar except
            the 'white' that your normally see. Black, purple,
            brown ( almost like walnut ) dark green. It even
            has some tiger striping to it....

            It's gonna be something interesting I think....

            =====
            Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
            Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • mahee of acre
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004
              > The humidity of your shop is different
              > than that of the store.
              >
              > Where is your shop?

              Mine is in my garage. I live a few miles from the ocean, so I always
              have high humidity. :-(

              A dehumidifier...have to look into that.

              ys,
              mahee
            • Dragano Abbruciati
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
                I have the same problem here (live on the Gulf of Mexico).  I find that if I can buy my wood a little green, the boards tend not to warp as badly in my shed.

                Dragano (who, if he had a basement, would have an indoor underground swimming pool)

                mahee of acre <mahee_of_acre@...> wrote:
                > The humidity of your shop is different
                > than that of the store.
                >
                > Where is your shop?

                Mine is in my garage. I live a few miles from the ocean, so I always
                have high humidity. :-(

                A dehumidifier...have to look into that.

                ys,
                mahee

              • Arhur Slaughter /Finn Mac Art
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
                  As stated bgefore  sticker the wood and leave it to adjust to your shop. I usualy try to let  it set in my shop(, which is in a basement , hence often rather damp even with the dehumidifier running.) for at least a week.  Pine is "lively" at best so get it used to your work area before cutting.
                  Finn

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 19, 2004
                    I made a huge Viking dough bowl/trough out of a split log of spalted
                    poplar.....
                    My step-dad had cut down the tree then asked me if I'd like to have
                    one of the bigger truck sections for dough bowls, he'd even split it
                    for me......well, he'd left it laying around awhile before offering
                    it to me and by the time I got it, it was heavily streaked
                    throughout with brush stokes of yellow and orange and pink and blue
                    and purple and bluegray.......oh lordy, how I HATED carving out that
                    color!!!! every pass of one of my wide Swedish fishtail gouges I
                    prayed would not reveal plain creamy white poplar beneath...but I
                    was lucky, the color was throughout the thickness of the log.

                    My dough throff (sp) was a thing of true natural beauty.
                    I soaked clear mineral oil into it and then sealed it with white
                    beeswax and turpentine. I don't care if the mineral oil
                    wasn't 'period' I didn't want to use ANYthing to distract from
                    the colors....

                    As for the color-painted poplar you found....I actually seek it out.
                    I once took a 1 x 4 of it, all dark purple/brown to the cashier to
                    pay for and she looked at it puzzled "I didn't know we sold Black
                    Walnut......" (you Don't, it's Poplar) "No, it's black walnut,....I
                    know what it looks like..." (true, but so do I and that's why I want
                    this piece, because it looks like it, but doesn't 'cost' like
                    it...this is heartwood...)
                    She still insisted on calling someone from the back to tell her how
                    to ring it up. The guy glanced at it ""1 x 4 Poplar!" she looked
                    at him with her mouth open,...not believeing him...."It's heartwood
                    poplar....sometimes it just looks this way"

                    Enjoy it.
                    Shara

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 20, 2004
                      Me, too! Interesting stuff, isn't it. I made a voxtorp-style norse box
                      out of it. My lady immediately co-opted it for her "stuff."

                      Will