Re: [MedievalSawdust] buying wood

  • B.S.R.Lee
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004
      Here is my .02 worth:

      Wood warps because something changes - usually moisture - or because of
      gravity. Ripping wood to size can also make it warp by releasing internal
      tension, specially in kiln dried timber which is the most common shop
      bought stuff.

      If the wood is changing overnight, its likely to be moisture. The timber in
      a large Dept. store is in a dry, air-conditioned environment and has had
      some time to stabilise. When you expose it to the real world things change.

      To stop (or try to contol) this: - stack wood on scrap boards off the
      floor, place the cross boards (stickers) every few feet: place thin scrap
      boards between each piece of 'good' timber and its neighbour. Sheet goods
      such as ply need to be stacked vertically against a rack or on a horizontal
      rack made specially with supports every 18" or so. If you are placing solid
      wood in an off floor rack, it also needs support every few feet or gravity
      will take over from moisture to warp it.

      Most of the better 'how-to' woodworking books have at least a chapter on
      wood doing what its not supposed to do, and mags such as 'Fine Woodworking'
      also have an article every year of so on it too, so don't feel picked upon.

      regards
      Brusi

    • kjworz@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004
        Best idea? Don't buy from Lowes or Home Despot. Find a better supplier. The problem is nto always "dry store, damp basement". More often than not the pallets of wood at the Borg are sopping wet. The tree source are quite often low quality fast growing types from their tree farms. Lots of reaction wood.

        --
        -Chris Schwartz
        Silver Spring, MD

        > This may sound like a stupid question but.... best place to learn...
        >
        > O.k. I go to Lowes or Home Depot and I buy wood, yes cheap pine. It
        > is straight and looks pretty good...then I go home with it and the
        > next day it is warped. What am I doing wrong? How do you take care
        > of wood to make it stay looking good and straight?
        >
        > Thank you,
        > mahee
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Joseph Hayes
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004
          --- mahee of acre <mahee_of_acre@...> wrote:
          > O.k. I go to Lowes or Home Depot and I buy wood, yes cheap pine. It
          > is straight and looks pretty good...then I go home with it and the
          > next day it is warped. What am I doing wrong? How do you take care
          > of wood to make it stay looking good and straight?

          I buy from them all the time. You can minimize movement by picking
          through the lumber for some good choices.

          The most common movement is cupping. The best way I've heard to
          describe this is that the curved rings try to straighten out.

          When trying to reduce cupping, you'll want to look at the end grain.
          Stay away from wood with curved rings in the end-grain (which indicates
          it came from the outside of the trunk) and look for wood with rings
          perpendicular to the board's width (which indicates it came from the
          middle of the trunk).

          You're not going to find quartersawn lumber, but you don't have to
          settle for crap.

          I was at Lowe's a few months ago for some hardware and walked the pine
          aisle on a whim. I found a piece of birds-eye pine (I don't know how
          else to describe it), so I grabbed it. It'll probably wind up as
          panels in an Austrian-stlye chest.

          Ulrich

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004
            --- mahee of acre <mahee_of_acre@...> wrote:
            > This may sound like a stupid question but.... best
            > place to learn...
            >
            > O.k. I go to Lowes or Home Depot and I buy wood, yes
            > cheap pine. It
            > is straight and looks pretty good...then I go home
            > with it and the
            > next day it is warped. What am I doing wrong? How do
            > you take care
            > of wood to make it stay looking good and straight?
            >
            > Thank you,
            > mahee

            The humidity of your shop is different
            than that of the store.

            Where is your shop?

            Mine is in the basement, and I have a
            dehumidifier running constantly this
            time of year. I get about a gallon a day
            this time if year....

            ( old house, block wall foundation )

            =====
            Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
            Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004

              > I was at Lowe's a few months ago for some hardware
              > and walked the pine
              > aisle on a whim. I found a piece of birds-eye pine
              > (I don't know how
              > else to describe it), so I grabbed it. It'll
              > probably wind up as
              > panels in an Austrian-stlye chest.
              >
              > Ulrich

              I've got a chest made from a sheet of poplar
              plywood that had a bird's eye pattern. Never
              seen poplar like that before.... or after.....
              I gave a sheet that had some really nice purple
              to another guy to work with. He made it into a
              nice spiff table with purle heart trim...

              I just pulled a piece of poplar out of the stack
              at work ( and set it off to one side ) that
              had every color I've ever seen in poplar except
              the 'white' that your normally see. Black, purple,
              brown ( almost like walnut ) dark green. It even
              has some tiger striping to it....

              It's gonna be something interesting I think....

              =====
              Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
              Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • mahee of acre
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004
                > The humidity of your shop is different
                > than that of the store.
                >
                > Where is your shop?

                Mine is in my garage. I live a few miles from the ocean, so I always
                have high humidity. :-(

                A dehumidifier...have to look into that.

                ys,
                mahee
              • Dragano Abbruciati
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
                  I have the same problem here (live on the Gulf of Mexico).  I find that if I can buy my wood a little green, the boards tend not to warp as badly in my shed.

                  Dragano (who, if he had a basement, would have an indoor underground swimming pool)

                  mahee of acre <mahee_of_acre@...> wrote:
                  > The humidity of your shop is different
                  > than that of the store.
                  >
                  > Where is your shop?

                  Mine is in my garage. I live a few miles from the ocean, so I always
                  have high humidity. :-(

                  A dehumidifier...have to look into that.

                  ys,
                  mahee

                • Arhur Slaughter /Finn Mac Art
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
                    As stated bgefore  sticker the wood and leave it to adjust to your shop. I usualy try to let  it set in my shop(, which is in a basement , hence often rather damp even with the dehumidifier running.) for at least a week.  Pine is "lively" at best so get it used to your work area before cutting.
                    Finn

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 19, 2004
                      I made a huge Viking dough bowl/trough out of a split log of spalted
                      poplar.....
                      My step-dad had cut down the tree then asked me if I'd like to have
                      one of the bigger truck sections for dough bowls, he'd even split it
                      for me......well, he'd left it laying around awhile before offering
                      it to me and by the time I got it, it was heavily streaked
                      throughout with brush stokes of yellow and orange and pink and blue
                      and purple and bluegray.......oh lordy, how I HATED carving out that
                      color!!!! every pass of one of my wide Swedish fishtail gouges I
                      prayed would not reveal plain creamy white poplar beneath...but I
                      was lucky, the color was throughout the thickness of the log.

                      My dough throff (sp) was a thing of true natural beauty.
                      I soaked clear mineral oil into it and then sealed it with white
                      beeswax and turpentine. I don't care if the mineral oil
                      wasn't 'period' I didn't want to use ANYthing to distract from
                      the colors....

                      As for the color-painted poplar you found....I actually seek it out.
                      I once took a 1 x 4 of it, all dark purple/brown to the cashier to
                      pay for and she looked at it puzzled "I didn't know we sold Black
                      Walnut......" (you Don't, it's Poplar) "No, it's black walnut,....I
                      know what it looks like..." (true, but so do I and that's why I want
                      this piece, because it looks like it, but doesn't 'cost' like
                      it...this is heartwood...)
                      She still insisted on calling someone from the back to tell her how
                      to ring it up. The guy glanced at it ""1 x 4 Poplar!" she looked
                      at him with her mouth open,...not believeing him...."It's heartwood
                      poplar....sometimes it just looks this way"

                      Enjoy it.
                      Shara

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 20, 2004
                        Me, too! Interesting stuff, isn't it. I made a voxtorp-style norse box
                        out of it. My lady immediately co-opted it for her "stuff."

                        Will