buying wood

  • mahee of acre
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 15, 2004
      This may sound like a stupid question but.... best place to learn...

      O.k. I go to Lowes or Home Depot and I buy wood, yes cheap pine. It
      is straight and looks pretty good...then I go home with it and the
      next day it is warped. What am I doing wrong? How do you take care
      of wood to make it stay looking good and straight?

      Thank you,
      mahee
    • B.S.R.Lee
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004
        Here is my .02 worth:

        Wood warps because something changes - usually moisture - or because of
        gravity. Ripping wood to size can also make it warp by releasing internal
        tension, specially in kiln dried timber which is the most common shop
        bought stuff.

        If the wood is changing overnight, its likely to be moisture. The timber in
        a large Dept. store is in a dry, air-conditioned environment and has had
        some time to stabilise. When you expose it to the real world things change.

        To stop (or try to contol) this: - stack wood on scrap boards off the
        floor, place the cross boards (stickers) every few feet: place thin scrap
        boards between each piece of 'good' timber and its neighbour. Sheet goods
        such as ply need to be stacked vertically against a rack or on a horizontal
        rack made specially with supports every 18" or so. If you are placing solid
        wood in an off floor rack, it also needs support every few feet or gravity
        will take over from moisture to warp it.

        Most of the better 'how-to' woodworking books have at least a chapter on
        wood doing what its not supposed to do, and mags such as 'Fine Woodworking'
        also have an article every year of so on it too, so don't feel picked upon.

        regards
        Brusi

      • kjworz@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004
          Best idea? Don't buy from Lowes or Home Despot. Find a better supplier. The problem is nto always "dry store, damp basement". More often than not the pallets of wood at the Borg are sopping wet. The tree source are quite often low quality fast growing types from their tree farms. Lots of reaction wood.

          --
          -Chris Schwartz
          Silver Spring, MD

          > This may sound like a stupid question but.... best place to learn...
          >
          > O.k. I go to Lowes or Home Depot and I buy wood, yes cheap pine. It
          > is straight and looks pretty good...then I go home with it and the
          > next day it is warped. What am I doing wrong? How do you take care
          > of wood to make it stay looking good and straight?
          >
          > Thank you,
          > mahee
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Joseph Hayes
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004
            --- mahee of acre <mahee_of_acre@...> wrote:
            > O.k. I go to Lowes or Home Depot and I buy wood, yes cheap pine. It
            > is straight and looks pretty good...then I go home with it and the
            > next day it is warped. What am I doing wrong? How do you take care
            > of wood to make it stay looking good and straight?

            I buy from them all the time. You can minimize movement by picking
            through the lumber for some good choices.

            The most common movement is cupping. The best way I've heard to
            describe this is that the curved rings try to straighten out.

            When trying to reduce cupping, you'll want to look at the end grain.
            Stay away from wood with curved rings in the end-grain (which indicates
            it came from the outside of the trunk) and look for wood with rings
            perpendicular to the board's width (which indicates it came from the
            middle of the trunk).

            You're not going to find quartersawn lumber, but you don't have to
            settle for crap.

            I was at Lowe's a few months ago for some hardware and walked the pine
            aisle on a whim. I found a piece of birds-eye pine (I don't know how
            else to describe it), so I grabbed it. It'll probably wind up as
            panels in an Austrian-stlye chest.

            Ulrich

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004
              --- mahee of acre <mahee_of_acre@...> wrote:
              > This may sound like a stupid question but.... best
              > place to learn...
              >
              > O.k. I go to Lowes or Home Depot and I buy wood, yes
              > cheap pine. It
              > is straight and looks pretty good...then I go home
              > with it and the
              > next day it is warped. What am I doing wrong? How do
              > you take care
              > of wood to make it stay looking good and straight?
              >
              > Thank you,
              > mahee

              The humidity of your shop is different
              than that of the store.

              Where is your shop?

              Mine is in the basement, and I have a
              dehumidifier running constantly this
              time of year. I get about a gallon a day
              this time if year....

              ( old house, block wall foundation )

              =====
              Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
              Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004

                > I was at Lowe's a few months ago for some hardware
                > and walked the pine
                > aisle on a whim. I found a piece of birds-eye pine
                > (I don't know how
                > else to describe it), so I grabbed it. It'll
                > probably wind up as
                > panels in an Austrian-stlye chest.
                >
                > Ulrich

                I've got a chest made from a sheet of poplar
                plywood that had a bird's eye pattern. Never
                seen poplar like that before.... or after.....
                I gave a sheet that had some really nice purple
                to another guy to work with. He made it into a
                nice spiff table with purle heart trim...

                I just pulled a piece of poplar out of the stack
                at work ( and set it off to one side ) that
                had every color I've ever seen in poplar except
                the 'white' that your normally see. Black, purple,
                brown ( almost like walnut ) dark green. It even
                has some tiger striping to it....

                It's gonna be something interesting I think....

                =====
                Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004
                  > The humidity of your shop is different
                  > than that of the store.
                  >
                  > Where is your shop?

                  Mine is in my garage. I live a few miles from the ocean, so I always
                  have high humidity. :-(

                  A dehumidifier...have to look into that.

                  ys,
                  mahee
                • Dragano Abbruciati
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
                    I have the same problem here (live on the Gulf of Mexico).  I find that if I can buy my wood a little green, the boards tend not to warp as badly in my shed.

                    Dragano (who, if he had a basement, would have an indoor underground swimming pool)

                    mahee of acre <mahee_of_acre@...> wrote:
                    > The humidity of your shop is different
                    > than that of the store.
                    >
                    > Where is your shop?

                    Mine is in my garage. I live a few miles from the ocean, so I always
                    have high humidity. :-(

                    A dehumidifier...have to look into that.

                    ys,
                    mahee

                  • Arhur Slaughter /Finn Mac Art
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
                      As stated bgefore  sticker the wood and leave it to adjust to your shop. I usualy try to let  it set in my shop(, which is in a basement , hence often rather damp even with the dehumidifier running.) for at least a week.  Pine is "lively" at best so get it used to your work area before cutting.
                      Finn

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 19, 2004
                        I made a huge Viking dough bowl/trough out of a split log of spalted
                        poplar.....
                        My step-dad had cut down the tree then asked me if I'd like to have
                        one of the bigger truck sections for dough bowls, he'd even split it
                        for me......well, he'd left it laying around awhile before offering
                        it to me and by the time I got it, it was heavily streaked
                        throughout with brush stokes of yellow and orange and pink and blue
                        and purple and bluegray.......oh lordy, how I HATED carving out that
                        color!!!! every pass of one of my wide Swedish fishtail gouges I
                        prayed would not reveal plain creamy white poplar beneath...but I
                        was lucky, the color was throughout the thickness of the log.

                        My dough throff (sp) was a thing of true natural beauty.
                        I soaked clear mineral oil into it and then sealed it with white
                        beeswax and turpentine. I don't care if the mineral oil
                        wasn't 'period' I didn't want to use ANYthing to distract from
                        the colors....

                        As for the color-painted poplar you found....I actually seek it out.
                        I once took a 1 x 4 of it, all dark purple/brown to the cashier to
                        pay for and she looked at it puzzled "I didn't know we sold Black
                        Walnut......" (you Don't, it's Poplar) "No, it's black walnut,....I
                        know what it looks like..." (true, but so do I and that's why I want
                        this piece, because it looks like it, but doesn't 'cost' like
                        it...this is heartwood...)
                        She still insisted on calling someone from the back to tell her how
                        to ring it up. The guy glanced at it ""1 x 4 Poplar!" she looked
                        at him with her mouth open,...not believeing him...."It's heartwood
                        poplar....sometimes it just looks this way"

                        Enjoy it.
                        Shara

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 20, 2004
                          Me, too! Interesting stuff, isn't it. I made a voxtorp-style norse box
                          out of it. My lady immediately co-opted it for her "stuff."

                          Will