RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Dramatic Joint Failure!

  • C N Schwartz
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2004
      If you have a complete circle growth ring then when the wood shrinks it will
      check. It has to move somewhere, and the outside layers are shrinking and
      have farther to go than the inside layers so you get a big split. There are
      exceptions. I've heard and noticed branchwood is less likely to do this,
      but more likely to get other warpages. Not an issue with a short round hub.