Re: Dramatic Joint Failure!

  • matchstc
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 9, 2004
      Whats annoying about it is this is the ONLY piece of all the
      equipment that was made by a "professional" woodworker! My stuff
      ain't pretty but it usually works.

      The machine has been used to process many batches of material. It
      was in use aprox 8 hours a day for 10 days last Lilies.

      While the beater wheel was bisected I've drilled thru most of it,
      pinned it with steel pins and glued it all back together with a nice
      2 ton Epoxy. (The idiot who originally made it wanted to glue it with
      standard yellow carpenters glue, nevermind that he understood it
      would be submerged most of the time). We're also going o make sure
      the shield is on at all times, that the beater has water in it (slows
      the beater) and limit the RPM considerably (keep an eye on the
      teenage wheel guys.. and the idiotic old ones :)

      If you do make Lilies come by, Its always nice to put a face on an
      email.

      I'm already planning a replacement wheel for post Lilies. White Oak
      turned with the Great Wheel. I'll have to make a temporary Lathe
      (able to turn 9 inch round) and find me a burly wheel "boy". Read a
      neat comment on how a Great Wheel lathe was used to make early steam
      engine parts.

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
      <jrwinkler@m...> wrote:
      > >> Had a spectacular blowout this afternoon. <<
      >
      > Spectacular doesn't quite seem an appropriate enough word for it...
      ya' sure this thing ain't a 'siege weapon'?? Wow... THAT had to be
      exciting....

      > Come to think of it... we might wanna' keep this thing a bit
      quiet... having a 40 ft. "kill radius" might start making some think
      that the SCA is gonna' need 'woodworking marshals' next...

    • kjworz@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9, 2004
        If you can find a big hunk of seasoned Elm, that would obviously be better. White Oak is still pretty durn good. Better than glued up 'anything'. Problem is, you need a log that is huge to get a 9 inch billet that is heartwood, but not pith or complete growth rings.

        Can you shrink on some iron hoops?

        --
        -Chris Schwartz
        Silver Spring, MD

        > Whats annoying about it is this is the ONLY piece of all the
        > equipment that was made by a "professional" woodworker! My stuff
        > ain't pretty but it usually works.
        >
        > The machine has been used to process many batches of material. It
        > was in use aprox 8 hours a day for 10 days last Lilies.
        >
        > While the beater wheel was bisected I've drilled thru most of it,
        > pinned it with steel pins and glued it all back together with a nice
        > 2 ton Epoxy. (The idiot who originally made it wanted to glue it with
        > standard yellow carpenters glue, nevermind that he understood it
        > would be submerged most of the time). We're also going o make sure
        > the shield is on at all times, that the beater has water in it (slows
        > the beater) and limit the RPM considerably (keep an eye on the
        > teenage wheel guys.. and the idiotic old ones :)
        >
        > If you do make Lilies come by, Its always nice to put a face on an
        > email.
        >
        > I'm already planning a replacement wheel for post Lilies. White Oak
        > turned with the Great Wheel. I'll have to make a temporary Lathe
        > (able to turn 9 inch round) and find me a burly wheel "boy". Read a
        > neat comment on how a Great Wheel lathe was used to make early steam
        > engine parts.
        >

        > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
        > >
        > > Spectacular doesn't quite seem an appropriate enough word for it...
        > ya' sure this thing ain't a 'siege weapon'?? Wow... THAT had to be
        > exciting....
        > >
        > > Come to think of it... we might wanna' keep this thing a bit
        > quiet... having a 40 ft. "kill radius" might start making some think
        > that the SCA is gonna' need 'woodworking marshals' next...
        > >
        > > "That thing been inspected?"
        > > "Yea... the marshal said it needed more glue and duct tape around
        > the hub..."
        > >
        > > If I make Lillies I'm gonna' keep my armor on around the paper
        > pulpin'...
        > >
        > > Chas.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • matchstc
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 9, 2004
          Don't have any elm but I'm in the middle of oak country!

          Iron hoops would be hard to do with teh brass bars on

          I THINK its stable now. I'll just keep an eye on it (hoipefully not
          literally)

          cya
          mighel

          whats wrong with complete growth rings? So I want like a quarter
          section section?

        • C N Schwartz
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 11, 2004
            If you have a complete circle growth ring then when the wood shrinks it will
            check. It has to move somewhere, and the outside layers are shrinking and
            have farther to go than the inside layers so you get a big split. There are
            exceptions. I've heard and noticed branchwood is less likely to do this,
            but more likely to get other warpages. Not an issue with a short round hub.

> [...]

            steam
            > > engine parts.
            > >

            > > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
            > > >
            > > > Spectacular doesn't quite seem an appropriate enough word for
            it...
            > > ya' sure this thing ain't a 'siege weapon'?? Wow... THAT had to
            be
            > > exciting....
            > > >
            > > > Come to think of it... we might wanna' keep this thing a bit
            > > quiet... having a 40 ft. "kill radius" might start making some
            think
            > > that the SCA is gonna' need 'woodworking marshals' next...
            > > >
            > > > "That thing been inspected?"
            > > > "Yea... the marshal said it needed more glue and duct tape
            around
            > > the hub..."
            > > >
            > > > If I make Lillies I'm gonna' keep my armor on around the paper

            Yahoo! Groups Links