Re: [MedievalSawdust] Dramatic Joint Failure!

  • James Winkler
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 8, 2004
      >> Had a spectacular blowout this afternoon.
      <<

      Spectacular doesn't quite seem an appropriate enough word for it... ya' sure this thing ain't a 'siege weapon'??  Wow...  THAT had to be exciting....

      Come to think of it...  we might wanna' keep this thing a bit quiet...  having a 40 ft. "kill radius" might start making some think that the SCA is gonna' need 'woodworking marshals' next...

      "That thing been inspected?"
      "Yea...  the marshal said it needed more glue and duct tape around the hub..."

      If I make Lillies I'm gonna' keep my armor on around the paper pulpin'...

      Chas.

    • matchstc
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9, 2004
        Whats annoying about it is this is the ONLY piece of all the
        equipment that was made by a "professional" woodworker! My stuff
        ain't pretty but it usually works.

        The machine has been used to process many batches of material. It
        was in use aprox 8 hours a day for 10 days last Lilies.

        While the beater wheel was bisected I've drilled thru most of it,
        pinned it with steel pins and glued it all back together with a nice
        2 ton Epoxy. (The idiot who originally made it wanted to glue it with
        standard yellow carpenters glue, nevermind that he understood it
        would be submerged most of the time). We're also going o make sure
        the shield is on at all times, that the beater has water in it (slows
        the beater) and limit the RPM considerably (keep an eye on the
        teenage wheel guys.. and the idiotic old ones :)

        If you do make Lilies come by, Its always nice to put a face on an
        email.

        I'm already planning a replacement wheel for post Lilies. White Oak
        turned with the Great Wheel. I'll have to make a temporary Lathe
        (able to turn 9 inch round) and find me a burly wheel "boy". Read a
        neat comment on how a Great Wheel lathe was used to make early steam
        engine parts.

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"

      • kjworz@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 9, 2004
          If you can find a big hunk of seasoned Elm, that would obviously be better. White Oak is still pretty durn good. Better than glued up 'anything'. Problem is, you need a log that is huge to get a 9 inch billet that is heartwood, but not pith or complete growth rings.

          Can you shrink on some iron hoops?

          --
          -Chris Schwartz
          Silver Spring, MD

          > Whats annoying about it is this is the ONLY piece of all the
          > equipment that was made by a "professional" woodworker! My stuff
          > ain't pretty but it usually works.
          >
          > The machine has been used to process many batches of material. It
          > was in use aprox 8 hours a day for 10 days last Lilies.
          >
          > While the beater wheel was bisected I've drilled thru most of it,
          > pinned it with steel pins and glued it all back together with a nice
          > 2 ton Epoxy. (The idiot who originally made it wanted to glue it with
          > standard yellow carpenters glue, nevermind that he understood it
          > would be submerged most of the time). We're also going o make sure
          > the shield is on at all times, that the beater has water in it (slows
          > the beater) and limit the RPM considerably (keep an eye on the
          > teenage wheel guys.. and the idiotic old ones :)
          >
          > If you do make Lilies come by, Its always nice to put a face on an
          > email.
          >
          > I'm already planning a replacement wheel for post Lilies. White Oak
          > turned with the Great Wheel. I'll have to make a temporary Lathe
          > (able to turn 9 inch round) and find me a burly wheel "boy". Read a
          > neat comment on how a Great Wheel lathe was used to make early steam
          > engine parts.
          >

          > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
          > >
          > > Spectacular doesn't quite seem an appropriate enough word for it...
          > ya' sure this thing ain't a 'siege weapon'?? Wow... THAT had to be
          > exciting....
          > >
          > > Come to think of it... we might wanna' keep this thing a bit
          > quiet... having a 40 ft. "kill radius" might start making some think
          > that the SCA is gonna' need 'woodworking marshals' next...
          > >
          > > "That thing been inspected?"
          > > "Yea... the marshal said it needed more glue and duct tape around
          > the hub..."
          > >
          > > If I make Lillies I'm gonna' keep my armor on around the paper
          > pulpin'...
          > >
          > > Chas.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • matchstc
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 9, 2004
            Don't have any elm but I'm in the middle of oak country!

            Iron hoops would be hard to do with teh brass bars on

            I THINK its stable now. I'll just keep an eye on it (hoipefully not
            literally)

            cya
            mighel

            whats wrong with complete growth rings? So I want like a quarter
            section section?

          • C N Schwartz
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 11, 2004
              If you have a complete circle growth ring then when the wood shrinks it will
              check. It has to move somewhere, and the outside layers are shrinking and
              have farther to go than the inside layers so you get a big split. There are
              exceptions. I've heard and noticed branchwood is less likely to do this,
              but more likely to get other warpages. Not an issue with a short round hub.

> [...]

              steam
              > > engine parts.
              > >

              > > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
              > > >
              > > > Spectacular doesn't quite seem an appropriate enough word for
              it...
              > > ya' sure this thing ain't a 'siege weapon'?? Wow... THAT had to
              be
              > > exciting....
              > > >
              > > > Come to think of it... we might wanna' keep this thing a bit
              > > quiet... having a 40 ft. "kill radius" might start making some
              think
              > > that the SCA is gonna' need 'woodworking marshals' next...
              > > >
              > > > "That thing been inspected?"
              > > > "Yea... the marshal said it needed more glue and duct tape
              around
              > > the hub..."
              > > >
              > > > If I make Lillies I'm gonna' keep my armor on around the paper

              Yahoo! Groups Links