Dramatic Joint Failure!

  • matchstc
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 8 6:37 PM
      Had a spectacular blowout this afternoon.

      I'm getting ready for the Lilies War. I'm taking a 6 foot spoked
      Great Wheel driving last years Holland Beater (papermaking machine)

      To describe the beater, imagine a 9 inch wide, 9 inch diameter
      Purple heart cylinder, on a 1/2 inch steel shaft that spins at a
      coupla hundred RPM (oh and its studded with 3/8 brass bar) Its
      essentially a huge grinder for paper pulp.

      Used it last 1 month ago it did fine (with old 4 foot wheel)

      Tested the new Wheel today and while I knew the added diamter would
      increase speed I wasn;t too worried about it.

      WRONG!

      toward the end of my "test" I heard a mighty crash and a 15 lb chunk
      of purple heart seperated from the rrmainde of thw wheel and flew 40
      feet(thankfully away from me and everything else.

      Apparently the "gentleman" who turned it for me, glued it up of
      random little pieces with NO doweling or bracing.

      Glad it happened here and not at WAR

      I THINK I have it fixed well know for sure tomorrow after Epoxy
      dries over nite.

      seeya
      mighel

      madgoose.net
    • James Winkler
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 8 11:00 PM
        >> Had a spectacular blowout this afternoon.
        <<

        Spectacular doesn't quite seem an appropriate enough word for it... ya' sure this thing ain't a 'siege weapon'??  Wow...  THAT had to be exciting....

        Come to think of it...  we might wanna' keep this thing a bit quiet...  having a 40 ft. "kill radius" might start making some think that the SCA is gonna' need 'woodworking marshals' next...

        "That thing been inspected?"
        "Yea...  the marshal said it needed more glue and duct tape around the hub..."

        If I make Lillies I'm gonna' keep my armor on around the paper pulpin'...

        Chas.

      • matchstc
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 9 6:46 AM
          Whats annoying about it is this is the ONLY piece of all the
          equipment that was made by a "professional" woodworker! My stuff
          ain't pretty but it usually works.

          The machine has been used to process many batches of material. It
          was in use aprox 8 hours a day for 10 days last Lilies.

          While the beater wheel was bisected I've drilled thru most of it,
          pinned it with steel pins and glued it all back together with a nice
          2 ton Epoxy. (The idiot who originally made it wanted to glue it with
          standard yellow carpenters glue, nevermind that he understood it
          would be submerged most of the time). We're also going o make sure
          the shield is on at all times, that the beater has water in it (slows
          the beater) and limit the RPM considerably (keep an eye on the
          teenage wheel guys.. and the idiotic old ones :)

          If you do make Lilies come by, Its always nice to put a face on an
          email.

          I'm already planning a replacement wheel for post Lilies. White Oak
          turned with the Great Wheel. I'll have to make a temporary Lathe
          (able to turn 9 inch round) and find me a burly wheel "boy". Read a
          neat comment on how a Great Wheel lathe was used to make early steam
          engine parts.

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"

        • kjworz@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 9 6:53 AM
            If you can find a big hunk of seasoned Elm, that would obviously be better. White Oak is still pretty durn good. Better than glued up 'anything'. Problem is, you need a log that is huge to get a 9 inch billet that is heartwood, but not pith or complete growth rings.

            Can you shrink on some iron hoops?

            --
            -Chris Schwartz
            Silver Spring, MD

            > Whats annoying about it is this is the ONLY piece of all the
            > equipment that was made by a "professional" woodworker! My stuff
            > ain't pretty but it usually works.
            >
            > The machine has been used to process many batches of material. It
            > was in use aprox 8 hours a day for 10 days last Lilies.
            >
            > While the beater wheel was bisected I've drilled thru most of it,
            > pinned it with steel pins and glued it all back together with a nice
            > 2 ton Epoxy. (The idiot who originally made it wanted to glue it with
            > standard yellow carpenters glue, nevermind that he understood it
            > would be submerged most of the time). We're also going o make sure
            > the shield is on at all times, that the beater has water in it (slows
            > the beater) and limit the RPM considerably (keep an eye on the
            > teenage wheel guys.. and the idiotic old ones :)
            >
            > If you do make Lilies come by, Its always nice to put a face on an
            > email.
            >
            > I'm already planning a replacement wheel for post Lilies. White Oak
            > turned with the Great Wheel. I'll have to make a temporary Lathe
            > (able to turn 9 inch round) and find me a burly wheel "boy". Read a
            > neat comment on how a Great Wheel lathe was used to make early steam
            > engine parts.
            >

            > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
            > >
            > > Spectacular doesn't quite seem an appropriate enough word for it...
            > ya' sure this thing ain't a 'siege weapon'?? Wow... THAT had to be
            > exciting....
            > >
            > > Come to think of it... we might wanna' keep this thing a bit
            > quiet... having a 40 ft. "kill radius" might start making some think
            > that the SCA is gonna' need 'woodworking marshals' next...
            > >
            > > "That thing been inspected?"
            > > "Yea... the marshal said it needed more glue and duct tape around
            > the hub..."
            > >
            > > If I make Lillies I'm gonna' keep my armor on around the paper
            > pulpin'...
            > >
            > > Chas.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • matchstc
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 9 1:01 PM
              Don't have any elm but I'm in the middle of oak country!

              Iron hoops would be hard to do with teh brass bars on

              I THINK its stable now. I'll just keep an eye on it (hoipefully not
              literally)

              cya
              mighel

              whats wrong with complete growth rings? So I want like a quarter
              section section?

            • C N Schwartz
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 11 8:15 AM
                If you have a complete circle growth ring then when the wood shrinks it will
                check. It has to move somewhere, and the outside layers are shrinking and
                have farther to go than the inside layers so you get a big split. There are
                exceptions. I've heard and noticed branchwood is less likely to do this,
                but more likely to get other warpages. Not an issue with a short round hub.

> [...]

                steam
                > > engine parts.
                > >

                > > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
                > > >
                > > > Spectacular doesn't quite seem an appropriate enough word for
                it...
                > > ya' sure this thing ain't a 'siege weapon'?? Wow... THAT had to
                be
                > > exciting....
                > > >
                > > > Come to think of it... we might wanna' keep this thing a bit
                > > quiet... having a 40 ft. "kill radius" might start making some
                think
                > > that the SCA is gonna' need 'woodworking marshals' next...
                > > >
                > > > "That thing been inspected?"
                > > > "Yea... the marshal said it needed more glue and duct tape
                around
                > > the hub..."
                > > >
                > > > If I make Lillies I'm gonna' keep my armor on around the paper

                Yahoo! Groups Links