Re: [MedievalSawdust] More Glastonbury questions.

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 3, 2004
      >Just looking at the plans I have, I was wondering about the joint
      >between he base and the back. Is this normally made to pivot freely?

      Yes

      > Can
      >the back and seat be made to fold flat on top of each other?

      Alfric came up with a clever way to do this. The original chairs were not
      made this way, however, and did not fold up (despite the near-universal
      description of these as "folding" chairs). They can't fold flat because
      the seat and back panels are coplanar with the dowels, and so the side
      rails get in the way.

      >Also the rods that join it all together. Do people recommend doing those
      >as inserted dowls, possibly turned down to a slightly smaller size, or
      >by carving the ends of the rails into round pins. The latter doesn't
      >look like it would be too much work.

      Either will work, but if you make the back-to-seat joint by extending the
      rails, you can't disassemble that joint.

      Forelock bolts are another option.

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Albion Works
      Furniture and Accessories
      For the Medievalist!
      http://www.albionworks.net
      http://www.albionworks.com
    • Tim Bray
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2004
        >There seems to be two ways of doing the back piece.

        Capten Rhys beat me to it, neatly summarizing my thoughts on this
        matter. See my Web page for examples:
        http://www.albionworks.net/ChairsPage/FoldingChairs.htm

        >Either it can be wider than the seat, in which case the arms can be
        >straight.

        Nearly all of the surviving examples are like this.

        >Or it can be narrower than the seat, in which case the arms need to be
        >angled inwards.

        Only the Thorne chair (the actual "Glastonbury chair") is like this.

        >Apart from wanting to imitate a particular example, is there any reason
        >to have preference for the slightly more complicated angled arms?

        There's no structural reason - it isn't any more stable than straight
        arms. There might be an esthetic reason; the chair looks a little better
        with a back that is no wider than it is tall. So if you make it with a
        wide seat, a narrower back looks better. OTOH, it might make the chair
        feel a bit "crowded," because the arms will be closer to your body.

        If you make the arms angled, you also have to angle the holes for the
        dowels, and the holes in the dowels for the pins... I'd say it is more than
        "slightly" more complicated. But I haven't actually tried it that way, so
        maybe it's easier than I think.

        Cheers,
        Colin

        Albion Works
        Furniture and Accessories
        For the Medievalist!
        http://www.albionworks.net
        http://www.albionworks.com
      • chris roberts
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 5, 2004
          I was just wondering where I could locate a set of
          plans for the Glastonbury chair? Where did you get
          your plans?

          Chris Roberts

          --- "Grooby, Peter" <abs1nth@...> wrote:
          > Hello all,
          > I was thinking I would start work on a prototype
          > Glastonbury chair this
          > weekend, and I had a couple of questions.
          > Just looking at the plans I have, I was wondering
          > about the joint
          > between he base and the back. Is this normally made
          > to pivot freely? Can
          > the back and seat be made to fold flat on top of
          > each other?
          >
          > Also the rods that join it all together. Do people
          > recommend doing those
          > as inserted dowls, possibly turned down to a
          > slightly smaller size, or
          > by carving the ends of the rails into round pins.
          > The latter doesn't
          > look like it would be too much work.
          >
          > Thoughts? Comments?
          >
          > Vitale
          >

          > --

          > This electronic message together with any
          > attachments is confidential. If
          > you receive it in error: (i) you must not use,
          > disclose, copy or retain
          > it; (ii) please contact the sender immediately by
          > reply email and then
          > delete the emails. Views expressed in this email may
          > not be those of the
          > Airways Corporation of New Zealand Limited

          http://messenger.yahoo.com/
        • mahee of acre
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 7, 2004
            >Just looking at the plans I have, I was wondering about the joint
            > >between he base and the back. Is this normally made to pivot
            freely?

            I recently saw one at an event that was purchase she said at a
            garden store, te katch about it is that the seat was cloth and the
            chair folded beautifully.