RE: [MedievalSawdust] More Glastonbury questions.

  • Dan Baker
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 3 3:01 AM
      Well, lets see if I can be of some service.

      The joint between the back and seat does pivot. I chose to make it a slip
      joint where the back and seat are put together permenantly and the back has
      a open ended hole so it just slids in. Another gentle on this list
      redesigned the chair to fold.
      http://home.comcast.net/~glastonbury/wsb/html/view.cgi-image.html--SiteID-1013436.html
      So you can do that as well if you prefer.

      As to the dowel pins. The original as far as I have been able to determine
      used pins that were turned down to a smaller size. I used 1 1/8" dowel and
      turned the ends that go into the rails to 3/4". I suppose you could shape
      the end of the rail, but it sems to me you would have to have a much larger
      piece of wood and would waste a lot of it. Dowels, I think are the cheaper
      way to go.

      --
      In service to the dream,

      Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
      Privateer to the Midrealm

      Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
      (Take time to dance in the rain)

      Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3 3:11 AM
        In the files I put examples of nine differeant arm styles.

        The Glastonbury Chair was rebuilt in the 1800s before any pictures or
        drawings were made of it. It is impossible at this point to tell if it was
        made originally with slanted arms, or that was a result of the restoration.
        It is possible the arms were slanted originaly to accomidate the person it
        was made for. He could have been very pear shaped, but that's just an idea.
        In every other chair of this type I could find, save one, the back was
        wider and the arms were straight. You can easily dertemine if the arms were
        straight by looking at the legs. If the outside leg is attached at the
        front edge the arms are slanted if the outside leg is attached at the back
        edge the arms are straight.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 3 8:58 AM
          >Just looking at the plans I have, I was wondering about the joint
          >between he base and the back. Is this normally made to pivot freely?

          Yes

          > Can
          >the back and seat be made to fold flat on top of each other?

          Alfric came up with a clever way to do this. The original chairs were not
          made this way, however, and did not fold up (despite the near-universal
          description of these as "folding" chairs). They can't fold flat because
          the seat and back panels are coplanar with the dowels, and so the side
          rails get in the way.

          >Also the rods that join it all together. Do people recommend doing those
          >as inserted dowls, possibly turned down to a slightly smaller size, or
          >by carving the ends of the rails into round pins. The latter doesn't
          >look like it would be too much work.

          Either will work, but if you make the back-to-seat joint by extending the
          rails, you can't disassemble that joint.

          Forelock bolts are another option.

          Cheers,
          Colin

          Albion Works
          Furniture and Accessories
          For the Medievalist!
          http://www.albionworks.net
          http://www.albionworks.com
        • Tim Bray
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3 9:08 AM
            >There seems to be two ways of doing the back piece.

            Capten Rhys beat me to it, neatly summarizing my thoughts on this
            matter. See my Web page for examples:
            http://www.albionworks.net/ChairsPage/FoldingChairs.htm

            >Either it can be wider than the seat, in which case the arms can be
            >straight.

            Nearly all of the surviving examples are like this.

            >Or it can be narrower than the seat, in which case the arms need to be
            >angled inwards.

            Only the Thorne chair (the actual "Glastonbury chair") is like this.

            >Apart from wanting to imitate a particular example, is there any reason
            >to have preference for the slightly more complicated angled arms?

            There's no structural reason - it isn't any more stable than straight
            arms. There might be an esthetic reason; the chair looks a little better
            with a back that is no wider than it is tall. So if you make it with a
            wide seat, a narrower back looks better. OTOH, it might make the chair
            feel a bit "crowded," because the arms will be closer to your body.

            If you make the arms angled, you also have to angle the holes for the
            dowels, and the holes in the dowels for the pins... I'd say it is more than
            "slightly" more complicated. But I haven't actually tried it that way, so
            maybe it's easier than I think.

            Cheers,
            Colin

            Albion Works
            Furniture and Accessories
            For the Medievalist!
            http://www.albionworks.net
            http://www.albionworks.com
          • chris roberts
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 5 6:08 AM
              I was just wondering where I could locate a set of
              plans for the Glastonbury chair? Where did you get
              your plans?

              Chris Roberts

              --- "Grooby, Peter" <abs1nth@...> wrote:
              > Hello all,
              > I was thinking I would start work on a prototype
              > Glastonbury chair this
              > weekend, and I had a couple of questions.
              > Just looking at the plans I have, I was wondering
              > about the joint
              > between he base and the back. Is this normally made
              > to pivot freely? Can
              > the back and seat be made to fold flat on top of
              > each other?
              >
              > Also the rods that join it all together. Do people
              > recommend doing those
              > as inserted dowls, possibly turned down to a
              > slightly smaller size, or
              > by carving the ends of the rails into round pins.
              > The latter doesn't
              > look like it would be too much work.
              >
              > Thoughts? Comments?
              >
              > Vitale
              >

              > --

              > This electronic message together with any
              > attachments is confidential. If
              > you receive it in error: (i) you must not use,
              > disclose, copy or retain
              > it; (ii) please contact the sender immediately by
              > reply email and then
              > delete the emails. Views expressed in this email may
              > not be those of the
              > Airways Corporation of New Zealand Limited

              http://messenger.yahoo.com/
            • mahee of acre
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 7 7:10 AM
                >Just looking at the plans I have, I was wondering about the joint
                > >between he base and the back. Is this normally made to pivot
                freely?

                I recently saw one at an event that was purchase she said at a
                garden store, te katch about it is that the seat was cloth and the
                chair folded beautifully.