More Glastonbury questions.

  • Grooby, Peter
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2004
      Hello all,
      I was thinking I would start work on a prototype Glastonbury chair this
      weekend, and I had a couple of questions.
      Just looking at the plans I have, I was wondering about the joint
      between he base and the back. Is this normally made to pivot freely? Can
      the back and seat be made to fold flat on top of each other?

      Also the rods that join it all together. Do people recommend doing those
      as inserted dowls, possibly turned down to a slightly smaller size, or
      by carving the ends of the rails into round pins. The latter doesn't
      look like it would be too much work.

      Thoughts? Comments?

      Vitale

      This electronic message together with any attachments is confidential. If
      you receive it in error: (i) you must not use, disclose, copy or retain
      it; (ii) please contact the sender immediately by reply email and then
      delete the emails. Views expressed in this email may not be those of the
      Airways Corporation of New Zealand Limited
    • Grooby, Peter
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2004
        Another question.
        There seems to be two ways of doing the back piece.
        Either it can be wider than the seat, in which case the arms can be
        straight.
        Or it can be narrower than the seat, in which case the arms need to be
        angled inwards.
        Apart from wanting to imitate a particular example, is there any reason
        to have preference for the slightly more complicated angled arms?

        Vitale

        This electronic message together with any attachments is confidential. If
        you receive it in error: (i) you must not use, disclose, copy or retain
        it; (ii) please contact the sender immediately by reply email and then
        delete the emails. Views expressed in this email may not be those of the
        Airways Corporation of New Zealand Limited
      • Alfricr
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 3, 2004
          Greetings Vitale!

          There is a way to make the seat and back fold flat without having the rods be removable. That is by constructing a downward facing hook into the rear section of the lower seat rail on either side of the seat back. This hook then fastens over the lower rod from above at the rear of the seat, the front of the lower seat can then rotate around the front rod allowing the seat to fold flat (see attached web page).

          As for the problem of angleing the arms in towards the back; this is easly fixed by placing spacers at the top of the seat rear where the back of the arms intersect with the seat back allowing the through holes to be drilled at 90 deg. to the arm and allowing some sholder space as well.

          This is how I've constructed the chairs I have made and they work fine.

          Hope this is of some help.

          YIS Alfric Rolfson
          mka Ralph Mason

            From: "Grooby, Peter" <abs1nth@...>
            To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
            Subject: [MedievalSawdust] More Glastonbury questions.
            Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 12:24:13 +1200

            Hello all,
[...]

            Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up � now 3 months FREE!
          • Dan Baker
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3, 2004
              In the files I put examples of nine differeant arm styles.

              The Glastonbury Chair was rebuilt in the 1800s before any pictures or
              drawings were made of it. It is impossible at this point to tell if it was
              made originally with slanted arms, or that was a result of the restoration.
              It is possible the arms were slanted originaly to accomidate the person it
              was made for. He could have been very pear shaped, but that's just an idea.
              In every other chair of this type I could find, save one, the back was
              wider and the arms were straight. You can easily dertemine if the arms were
              straight by looking at the legs. If the outside leg is attached at the
              front edge the arms are slanted if the outside leg is attached at the back
              edge the arms are straight.

[...]

              Getting married? Find great tips, tools and the latest trends at MSN Life
              Events. http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=married
            • Tim Bray
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3, 2004
                >Just looking at the plans I have, I was wondering about the joint
                >between he base and the back. Is this normally made to pivot freely?

                Yes

                > Can
                >the back and seat be made to fold flat on top of each other?

                Alfric came up with a clever way to do this. The original chairs were not
                made this way, however, and did not fold up (despite the near-universal
                description of these as "folding" chairs). They can't fold flat because
                the seat and back panels are coplanar with the dowels, and so the side
                rails get in the way.

                >Also the rods that join it all together. Do people recommend doing those
                >as inserted dowls, possibly turned down to a slightly smaller size, or
                >by carving the ends of the rails into round pins. The latter doesn't
                >look like it would be too much work.

                Either will work, but if you make the back-to-seat joint by extending the
                rails, you can't disassemble that joint.

                Forelock bolts are another option.

                Cheers,
                Colin

                Albion Works
                Furniture and Accessories
                For the Medievalist!
                http://www.albionworks.net
                http://www.albionworks.com
              • Tim Bray
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 3, 2004
                  >There seems to be two ways of doing the back piece.

                  Capten Rhys beat me to it, neatly summarizing my thoughts on this
                  matter. See my Web page for examples:
                  http://www.albionworks.net/ChairsPage/FoldingChairs.htm

                  >Either it can be wider than the seat, in which case the arms can be
                  >straight.

                  Nearly all of the surviving examples are like this.

                  >Or it can be narrower than the seat, in which case the arms need to be
                  >angled inwards.

                  Only the Thorne chair (the actual "Glastonbury chair") is like this.

                  >Apart from wanting to imitate a particular example, is there any reason
                  >to have preference for the slightly more complicated angled arms?

                  There's no structural reason - it isn't any more stable than straight
                  arms. There might be an esthetic reason; the chair looks a little better
                  with a back that is no wider than it is tall. So if you make it with a
                  wide seat, a narrower back looks better. OTOH, it might make the chair
                  feel a bit "crowded," because the arms will be closer to your body.

                  If you make the arms angled, you also have to angle the holes for the
                  dowels, and the holes in the dowels for the pins... I'd say it is more than
                  "slightly" more complicated. But I haven't actually tried it that way, so
                  maybe it's easier than I think.

                  Cheers,
                  Colin

                  Albion Works
                  Furniture and Accessories
                  For the Medievalist!
                  http://www.albionworks.net
                  http://www.albionworks.com
                • chris roberts
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 5, 2004
                    I was just wondering where I could locate a set of
                    plans for the Glastonbury chair? Where did you get
                    your plans?

                    Chris Roberts

                    --- "Grooby, Peter" <abs1nth@...> wrote:
                    > Hello all,
                    > I was thinking I would start work on a prototype
                    > Glastonbury chair this
                    > weekend, and I had a couple of questions.
                    > Just looking at the plans I have, I was wondering
                    > about the joint
                    > between he base and the back. Is this normally made
                    > to pivot freely? Can
                    > the back and seat be made to fold flat on top of
                    > each other?
                    >
                    > Also the rods that join it all together. Do people
                    > recommend doing those
                    > as inserted dowls, possibly turned down to a
                    > slightly smaller size, or
                    > by carving the ends of the rails into round pins.
                    > The latter doesn't
                    > look like it would be too much work.
                    >
                    > Thoughts? Comments?
                    >
                    > Vitale
                    >

                    > --

                    > This electronic message together with any
                    > attachments is confidential. If
                    > you receive it in error: (i) you must not use,
                    > disclose, copy or retain
                    > it; (ii) please contact the sender immediately by
                    > reply email and then
                    > delete the emails. Views expressed in this email may
                    > not be those of the
                    > Airways Corporation of New Zealand Limited

                    http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                  • mahee of acre
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 7, 2004
                      >Just looking at the plans I have, I was wondering about the joint
                      > >between he base and the back. Is this normally made to pivot
                      freely?

                      I recently saw one at an event that was purchase she said at a
                      garden store, te katch about it is that the seat was cloth and the
                      chair folded beautifully.