various interesting sites and cites of the day.

  • rmhowe
    Message 1 of 1 , May 22, 2004
      The Victorian Albert Museum has an image database with
      around 10,000 images of crafts, jewelry, art and costumes at
      http://images.vam.ac.uk/ixbin/hixclient.exe?_IXSESSION_=&submit-button=search&search-form=main/index.html
      It's searchable.
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      "Anna's Crafts Links Page"
      http://www21.brinkster.com/annascrafts
      Moved to this location (the 4th?) a while ago.
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      > For those who are interested in lacemaking,
      > http://www.geocities.com/jallenecs/ is about making
      > mezza mandolina, a nearly forgotten variant of lacis.
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Jelling Dragon and Paul Binns have updated their websites.
      http://jelldragon.com/
      http://www.paul-binns-swords.co.uk/
      His links page is interesting:
      http://www.paul-binns-swords.co.uk/links.html
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      http://www.clevelandart.org
      I noticed they also had a video on their armor collection on
      sale I ordered. Not a whole lot else in their on line store,
      but the photo database for the medieval artefacts looks
      extensive. It's kind of like the U.K. Portable Antiquities
      Scheme with all the small dress accessories (but without
      measurements).
      http://www.finds.org.uk/
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      > York Archaeological Trust for Excavation and Research
      >
      > The Archaeology of York - Web Series
      >
      > http://www.yorkarchaeology.co.uk/ayw/index.htm
      >
      > York is one of Europe's premier historic cities, its archaeological remains
      > of Roman, Anglo-Saxon, Viking-Age and medieval date reflecting its national
      > and international role. Unusually, soil conditions favour the preservation
      > of organic remains. The 20 volume paper series, 'The Archaeology of York',
      > has, over the last 25 years, presented the archaeological discoveries and
      > their interpretation.
      >
      > The Web Series seeks to continue this tradition of academic excellence
      > through a new medium with the potential to reach a far wider audience than
      > would ever be possible through a paper academic publication. The following
      > reports are currently available; more will be added in the future.
      >
      > "Anglo-Scandinavian, Medieval and Post-Medieval Urban Occupation at 41-49
      > Walmgate, York, UK"
      > The Walmgate area has long been known as the industrial hub of medieval
      > York. This report covers excavations between August and October 2000 which
      > uncovered a complex sequence of buildings from Anglo-Scandinavian to modern
      > times and much evidence for metalworking and the daily life of residents.
      > "Beyond the Walls of York: the Road to Hull"
      > The former site of the D.C. Cook car showrooms in Lawrence Street was the
      > subject of an archaeological evaluation in 2001 and an excavation early in
      > 2003. Roman ditches were identified and a few sherds of Anglian pottery
      > (8th/9th century) were found. The site appears to have been occupied from
      > the 12th century onwards and medieval features included a large boundary
      > ditch, a barrel-lined well and an oven. Investigation of plant and
      > invertebrate remains gave a rare view of rural conditions on the eastern
      > edge of York.
      >
      > "Anglo-Scandinavian and Roman remains at 28-29 High Ousegate, York"
      > This excavation uncovered evidence of deposits of Roman to
      > Anglo-Scandinavian date. The Anglo-Scandinavian deposits included a number
      > of pits, dumped deposits, wattle fences and a stake- and post-built
      > structure, in addition to an exceptional collection of artefacts, well
      > preserved in the highly organic deposits. These artefacts provide evidence
      > for craft industries on the site including leather working, textile
      > production, antler working and horn working.

      The York Archaeology Publications Page - in case you haven't looked
      lately. http://www.yorkarchaeology.co.uk/pubs/pubs.php
      Figure about ten dollars a pound for postage.

      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      By the way, as regards shields - there is an excellent new book out on
      surviving medieval shields in German from http://www.karfunkel.de/
      that has detailed photographs and notes on the construction
      and decoration of all surviving medieval examples the author
      could find. It is so well illustrated that reading German really
      isn't that necessary.
      The author recreates some with as close as he could
      get to period materials and it looks like he did an excellent
      job. One is illustrated using bent plywood as a base, and the
      other is done using only period plank techniques and period methods.
      Full notes on sizes and construction of all the original shields are
      in the back along with a graph that places all of them in their
      appropriate time periods. The highly decorated shields from what
      is now Germany are in it, so is the shield of Henry V from England.
      These have very elaborate constructions and front and back views
      are provided along with the real or conjectural strap attachment
      methods. An earlier one is a cut down (bottom clipped) norman
      style kite shield.

      Jan Kohlmorgen:
      "Der Mittelalterliche Reiterschild" Historische Entwicklung
      von 975 - 1350 & Gb., 192 Seiten, über 200, meist farbige Abbildungen
      [Roughly translated as I really don't read much German it says
      the Medieval Knightly Shield - Historic (construction/study) from
      AD 975 to 1350, 192 pages with many color illustrations.]
      "Re-enactment, Experimentalarchäologie, Museumspädagogik und
      experimentelles Lernen brauchen know-how. Wer nach solchem Wissen aus
      Erfahrung und Probieren sucht, stößt früher oder später auf das Konzept
      der Reihe, in der dieser Band erschienen ist. Nach ausführlicher
      Einleitung in Entwicklung und Geschichte des mittelalterlichen
      europäischen Reiterschildes, inklusive zahlreicher Sonderformen, bietet
      der Experimentalarchäologe Jan Kohlmorgen mögliche Interpretationen von
      Nachbauten solcher Schilde von kampftauglich bis authentisch und läßt
      auch den Leser bzw. Nutzer bei der Auffindung von Lieferanten
      ausgefallener Materialien nicht alleine.
      Abbildung
      Best. Nr.: 616104
      EUR 24.0"

      I bought mine through amazon.de but one of the three books
      seems to have disappeared in transit.
      Holger Riesch: "Pfeil und Bogen zur Merowingerzeit"
      Arrows and Bows of the Merovingian Age [- pre-viking age].
      Roughly 5-700s AD. Since I haven't received mine yet, and
      Amazon.de hasn't responded although they charged me both
      for the book and the shipping of it I may have to buy it again.
      [Dammit.]
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      However, the _Berichte u"ber die Ausgrabungen in Haithabu_
      Berticht 33 book on the Viking Hedeby swords, bows and arrows called
      Das Archa"ologische Fundmaterial VI von (by editor) Kurt Schietzel
      is for sale currently by Amazon.de. This is 147 pages and includes
      many constructional drawings and photographic plates of a lot
      of swords, a constructional drawing of a scabbard, seven bows,
      and a number of arrows and arrowheads. There are (x-ray) radiograph
      plates of the sword hilt constructions.
      It's about as close as you are going to get on Viking archery.
      Along with the many metal arrowheads there are also the bulbous wooden
      arrowends they used to bounce on the water to hit floating waterfowl.
      One has a V cut into the front to better grab into the feathers.
      These would float and could be recovered.

      In addition the recreations of the metal tipped arrows are shown
      and there are pictures of them piercing a viking shield recreation
      much like Roman Pila (spears) (Pilum, singular) were designed to
      do. Pila were designed to punch through the shields and travel on
      into the user, not just bend and weigh down the shield making it
      useless as you often read. Made a really good handle to pull
      the opponent's shield out of the way too, perhaps bringing some
      guts out with it as my pitiless latin professor used to say.
      Captain Reid was one of George Patton's officers and beat his
      lessons into us if we didn't learn our conjugations and declensions
      correctly. I believe the man probably had a past life as a Spartan.
      Our instruction and athletics were quite similar only we weren't
      taught to steal food and sex as they were.

      There is a drawing of the Hedeby quiver [and an unhooded eastern
      European quiver].

      If you have trouble navigating the German Amazon pages simply
      open a second browser in Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk and go
      page by page. They are all made to the same computer page templates
      and you can see what information the pages are asking for
      on the English ones.
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      I realize that they are well past Regia's timeline but the costume
      books by Ulrich Lehnart and Gösta Ditmar-Trauth on Amazon.de really
      are good. They are very detailed. I have all of them. I believe
      Oxbowbooks.com/David Brown Book Co. carries some of them now.
      I ordered mine earlier from amazon.de. But the shipping is much
      less through David Brown over here - even if it is painfully slow.
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Oxford also has a book out now called A History of Board Games
      Other Than Chess by H.J.R. Murray. It covers most of the continents
      throughout history. It could use more illustrations of playing
      pieces but the rest is quite good. It has a very extensive bibliography.
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Master Magnus Malleus, OL, SCA, Regia.org, Manx, Great Dark Horde
      Not to be reposted to the Rialto or any other Usenet newsgroup please.
      Your Kingdom, Baronial, Canton, Shire or arts elist is just fine to
      forward to, as are your friends. I simply don't need the spam or
      arguments. This is a service.