RE: [2] [medievalsawdust] Re: beds

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 7 , May 12, 2004
      >I don't think that those are "slats" like we think of them. With zero
      >clearance between them, I think that they are a "floor" for the bed
      >frame.

      I don't get it. The frame is clearly independent of those boards, and
      there appears to be a special strut whose function is to support the
      slats. I don't see how there's any real difference between slats with
      spaces between them, and slats that don't have spaces between them. (There
      has to be *some* space between them in any case, to accommodate the
      cross-grain movement.)

      It looks like the lower edge of the long rails corresponds exactly with the
      level of the underside of the slats. If so, then the slats rest only on
      those end-rails.

      This is one example of a "box-bed" (German "kastenbett" or
      chest-bed). These show up in the late MA and continued in use through the
      19th c. They can hold a pretty thick bag of straw, and often were built
      into an alcove so they held heat well.

      This thing still exists in a museum - somebody run over to Germany and
      check it out and get back to us, OK?

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Albion Works