Lathes

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 11, 2002
      Hey Avery,

      I was wondering what you learned while
      making your lathe? What would you have done
      differently? What didn't work the way you
      thought it would? What was not as hard as
      you imagined it might be?

      I've been thinking that a bow lathe
      would be the perfect nieghbor to the new
      shaving horse. ( Not that I haven't
      considered building one for a while... )

      I've attached a rough sketch of an idea
      I've been thinking about....

      =====

      http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
    • Avery
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 14, 2002
        > I was wondering what you learned while
        >making your lathe? What would you have done
        >differently? What didn't work the way you
        >thought it would? What was not as hard as
        >you imagined it might be?

        The one big learning was that the feet and uprights need some sort of
        diagonal bracing. It tends to lean as time passes. Right now I'm noticing
        that the screws I'm using for centers tend to work loose. My pedals don't
        work as well as I'd like. Robbyan says that the way he did his was to use
        two pieces of wood with a leather hinge. Stand on one, step on the other.
        Keeps the damn thing from walking around. Oh, and some times I want my tool
        rest closer to the work than I can get it.

        In use I've found that scrapers kick butt on a reciprocating lathe.

        A gentle at Pennsic showed me a lathe that was much more period in
        construction. His was a solid table, maybe three inches thick, 16 inches by
        40 inches with a big slot cut in it for the poppets to sit in. I think it
        was built up out of multiple pieces. In the corners he had legs which had
        tapered round tennons on the ends which set in tapered round holes. They
        splayed out for added stability. His centers looked to be two pieces of
        round stock which he ground to a point. His adjustment method was to knock
        back the wedge, tap the end of the poppet, and hammer the wedge tight again.

        He was of the "they didn't use a tool rest" school, but pointed out that if
        you wanted one, you could set a wooden block on the table and you'd have
        one. And it would be more adjustable than mine.

        Avery
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 21, 2002
          > The one big learning was that the feet and uprights
          > need some sort of
          > diagonal bracing. It tends to lean as time passes.

          lean side to side or front to back?

          > Right now I'm noticing
          > that the screws I'm using for centers tend to work
          > loose. My pedals don't
          > work as well as I'd like. Robbyan says that the way
          > he did his was to use
          > two pieces of wood with a leather hinge. Stand on
          > one, step on the other.
          > Keeps the damn thing from walking around.

          I was thinking about that I'll sketch out
          my idea and pass it along...

          =====

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • Avery
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 22, 2002
            >lean side to side or front to back?

            Front to back. Part of it is that you are pushing into it with the gouge.

            Avery
          • Mark Flebotte
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 3, 2004
              Just a quick question, I've never used a wood lathe before and I'm curious what RPM range you need to run them in. The reason I'm asking is I'm looking to get a new metal lathe for my company and I was thinking of using it for turning wood also.

              Mark / Cerid
            • samz_dad
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 3, 2004
                Depends on what you are turning. Spindle turning usually starts
                (depending on length/width)at about 1000-1200rpm for a 16"X 2"
                piece. Starting a large bowl can be as low as 400rpm (seeing a 20lb
                chunk of Walnut fly off the mount because it was not centered at
                anything over 400rpm can be horrifying/dangerous/expensive).
                Finishing can go as high as 2000rpm. Hope this helps!

                Lord Robert

                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Flebotte" <maf@t...>
                wrote:
                > Just a quick question, I've never used a wood lathe before and I'm
                curious what RPM range you need to run them in. The reason I'm
                asking is I'm looking to get a new metal lathe for my company and I
                was thinking of using it for turning wood also.

                > Mark / Cerid
              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 3, 2004
                  Wood  turning is done at a lot higher speed than a turning metal.  If the lathe is setup to handle both speed ranges you will need a wood turning spur on the drive end.  Now the lathe owners can chime in with the speeds...___ and the proper name for the spur.

                  James Cunningham

                  Just a quick question, I've never used a wood lathe before and I'm curious what RPM range you need to run them in. The reason I'm asking is I'm looking to get a new metal lathe for my company and I was thinking of using it for turning wood also.

                  Mark / Cerid

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Mark Flebotte
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 5, 2004
                    Actually it does help. And I know what you mean by having something fly off being dangerous. A few years back I had a long chat with an employee (shop labourer) who was supposed to be facing a peice of bar stock on the old lathe. He had the RPM set at almost 1000 and this 4' long piece of 4.5" diameter sold bar stock was not set properly and was about 5 degrees off of level. I walked out into the shop and had visions of this thing flying across the shop and kill 3-4 people.

                    Mark / Cerid

                    wrote:
                    > Just a quick question, I've never used a wood lathe before and I'm
                    curious what RPM range you need to run them in. The reason I'm
                    asking is I'm looking to get a new metal lathe for my company and I
                    was thinking of using it for turning wood also.

                    > Mark / Cerid

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Mark Flebotte
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 5, 2004
                      Part of the reason I want to use a metal lathe is that I'm getting one already and secondly I like the idea of a chuck for mounting things.

                      Mark

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 5, 2004
                        Chuck!...  there are some nice 4 jaw chucks out there for wood lathes...  now, granted it doesn't get around the "I've already got one" issue... but... one thing to think about while using a metal lathe...

                        SAWDUST...

                        Ya' ain't just kickin' up chips here...  and you'll probably do the wise thing and... after cranking up the speed a bit to finish your turning and get a nice smooth cut...  crank it up a bit more and lay the sand paper to it to get the really nice finish...   and then... perhaps, while it still turning, decide to apply wax or friction polish...

                        ... while you're doing all of this, of course, you're drippin' (Drippin'??  Did I say 'Drippin!'?  I should say 'being thrown around  by the spinning wooden object in front of you...') gunk, and mixing with some pretty fine sawdust and all of that is getting in and on the various drives and gears on your metal lathe...

                        ...  sure ya' don't wanna' get a good wood lathe???

                        Sent: Monday, January 05, 2004 8:39 AM