RE: [medievalsawdust] Re: beds

    Message 1 of 56 , May 11, 2004

      The Great Bed of Ware is part of a sub-class of furniture that some antique dealers call Beds of State, or State Beds.  There are any number of them on display in Great Britain and Ireland, and some few have even managed to make it to the US.

      I considered one for my camp as an A&S project.  A little research demonstrated that they weight between a quarter and a third of a ton once assembled.  My camp weighs enough already.  I just don’t want to work that hard setting up and breaking down camp.  And I can’t use it in my bedroom.  She Who Must Be Obeyed is unwilling to decorate in late Tudor.

      So that went by the wayside.

      Will

      Message 56 of 56 , Jun 1, 2004
        Ladies and gentlemen,
        I am looking for references on the inside of panel chests. Would you
        please look into your collective memory and see if you have any photos
        you could share or recall any references.

        I'm attempting to document the proper amount of effort that should be
        applied in cleaning up the interior. Did medieval artisans spend time
        and effort finishing the interior beyond making sure that there were no
        snags to rip fingers or contents?

        Will