RE: [medievalsawdust] Re: Introduction, and Glastonbury chair question

    Message 1 of 11 , May 5, 2004
      Better to put them in the Photos section.

      Will

      Message 2 of 11 , May 7, 2004
        No problem at all.

        Or if the link doesn't work in the photos section under Rhys' Stuff 9
        examples of different arms of chairs of the Glastonbury type, or precoursers
        to it.

        --

        &lt;msgilliandurham@...&gt;
        >&gt;Reply-To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        >&gt;To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        >&gt;Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Introduction, and Glastonbury
        chair
        >question
        >&gt;Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 20:17:30 -0000
        >&gt;
        >&gt;My thanks for the replies to my question -- I did not realize
        >&gt;the &quot;pointy bits&quot; on the arms were a sort of
        armrest (or
        >at
        >least an
        >&gt;elbow rest). I was picturing someone sitting in such a chair and
        >&gt;trying to reach something on a table set to the side of the
        chair,
        >&gt;such as one would if one were doing hand work on something in
        the
        >lap
        >&gt;(hand sewing, carving, &quot;knitting&quot; chain mail,
        etc.) It
        >seemed
        >to me
        >&gt;that the diagonal brace would be right where you'd be reaching
        >get
        >&gt;something off the table.
        >&gt;
        >&gt;As several people have pointed out, backless stools, benches,
        etc.,
        >&gt;were more common. Such a piece of furnitere would have more
        likely
        >&gt;been used in such a situation.
        >&gt;
        >&gt;My thanks again -- Gillian
        >&gt;

        it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
      • Alfricr
        Message 3 of 11 , May 30, 2004
          Greetings Dan!

          I am Alfric Rolfson mka Ralph Mason in the Barony of Three Mountains An Tir (Portland Oregon USA). I have built several of the Glastonbury Style chairs and find that the crooks in the arms direct your arms to fold into your lap and are very comfortable to sit in, if one is limber enough one might even drape a leg over the crook.

          I hope this information is of help.

          Yours in service,

          Alfric
            From: "Alfricr" <alfric@...>