RE: [medievalsawdust] Re: Introduction, and Glastonbury chair question

  • Dan Baker
    Message 1 of 11 , May 5 4:37 AM
      Its kind of cool to sit in. There are at least eight different arm designs
      from very simple to extremely complex. One of which is just a straight line
      with no "horn" at all.. I can send you some pictures of examples from
      illuminations and other sources if you like.

      --
      In service to the dream,

      Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
      Privateer to the Midrealm

      Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
      (Take time to dance in the rain)

      Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

      Message 2 of 11 , May 5 5:24 AM
        Better to put them in the Photos section.

        Will

        Its kind of cool to sit in. There are at least eight different arm
        designs
        from very simple to extremely complex. One of which is just a straight
        line
        with no "horn" at all.. I can send you some pictures of examples from
        illuminations and other sources if you like.

        --
        In service to the dream,

        Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
        Privateer to the Midrealm

        Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
        (Take time to dance in the rain)

        Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

        >From: "msgilliandurham" <msgilliandurham@...>
        >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Introduction, and Glastonbury chair
        question
        >Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 20:17:30 -0000
        >
        >My thanks for the replies to my question -- I did not realize
        >the "pointy bits" on the arms were a sort of armrest (or
        at
        least an
        >elbow rest). I was picturing someone sitting in such a chair and
        >trying to reach something on a table set to the side of the chair,
        >such as one would if one were doing hand work on something in the
        lap
        >(hand sewing, carving, "knitting" chain mail, etc.) It
        seemed
        to me
        >that the diagonal brace would be right where you'd be reaching to
        get
        >something off the table.
        >
        >As several people have pointed out, backless stools, benches, etc.,
        >were more common. Such a piece of furnitere would have more likely
        >been used in such a situation.
        >
        >My thanks again -- Gillian

      • Dan Baker
        Message 3 of 11 , May 7 7:37 PM
          No problem at all.

          Or if the link doesn't work in the photos section under Rhys' Stuff 9
          examples of different arms of chairs of the Glastonbury type, or precoursers
          to it.

          --

          &lt;msgilliandurham@...&gt;
          >&gt;Reply-To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
          >&gt;To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
          >&gt;Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Introduction, and Glastonbury
          chair
          >question
          >&gt;Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 20:17:30 -0000
          >&gt;
          >&gt;My thanks for the replies to my question -- I did not realize
          >&gt;the &quot;pointy bits&quot; on the arms were a sort of
          armrest (or
          >at
          >least an
          >&gt;elbow rest). I was picturing someone sitting in such a chair and
          >&gt;trying to reach something on a table set to the side of the
          chair,
          >&gt;such as one would if one were doing hand work on something in
          the
          >lap
          >&gt;(hand sewing, carving, &quot;knitting&quot; chain mail,
          etc.) It
          >seemed
          >to me
          >&gt;that the diagonal brace would be right where you'd be reaching
          >get
          >&gt;something off the table.
          >&gt;
          >&gt;As several people have pointed out, backless stools, benches,
          etc.,
          >&gt;were more common. Such a piece of furnitere would have more
          likely
          >&gt;been used in such a situation.
          >&gt;
          >&gt;My thanks again -- Gillian
          >&gt;

          it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
        • Alfricr
          Message 4 of 11 , May 30 8:49 AM
            Greetings Dan!

            I am Alfric Rolfson mka Ralph Mason in the Barony of Three Mountains An Tir (Portland Oregon USA). I have built several of the Glastonbury Style chairs and find that the crooks in the arms direct your arms to fold into your lap and are very comfortable to sit in, if one is limber enough one might even drape a leg over the crook.

            I hope this information is of help.

            Yours in service,

            Alfric
              From: "Alfricr" <alfric@...>