Re: Introduction, and Glastonbury chair question

  • msgilliandurham
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2004
      My thanks for the replies to my question -- I did not realize
      the "pointy bits" on the arms were a sort of armrest (or at least an
      elbow rest). I was picturing someone sitting in such a chair and
      trying to reach something on a table set to the side of the chair,
      such as one would if one were doing hand work on something in the lap
      (hand sewing, carving, "knitting" chain mail, etc.) It seemed to me
      that the diagonal brace would be right where you'd be reaching to get
      something off the table.

      As several people have pointed out, backless stools, benches, etc.,
      were more common. Such a piece of furnitere would have more likely
      been used in such a situation.

      My thanks again -- Gillian
    • Dan Baker
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2004
        I have just made several of them. Actually the elbows rest nicely in the
        curve of the arms. It's very comfortable. If you want to do a very
        simplified version a couple of years ago "World Market" had a folding chair
        based on the Glastonbury. Not parts to put together, cloth sling seat, but
        thats ok. I have seen a number of these chairs at events. You might look
        for one. Or I mght have a couple of pictures of the mechanism somewhere if
        your interested.

        --
        In service to the dream,

        Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
        Privateer to the Midrealm

        Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
        (Take time to dance in the rain)

        Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

        >From: "msgilliandurham" <msgilliandurham@...>
        >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Introduction, and Glastonbury chair question
        >Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:35:14 -0000
        >
        >Good morrow, gentles!
        >
        >My name is Gillian Durham, and I live in the north of England in the
        >beginning of the reign of Queen Elizabeth. I am a merchant who
        >creates many of the items she sells, including some wooden items.
        >
        >My question is this -- I am interested in adding a simplified version
        >of the Glastonbury chair to my wares. I have never sat in one, but
        >from the pictures I have seen, it seems as if people sitting in such
        >a chair would knock their elbows on the diagonal braces which support
        >the back.
        >
        >Can anyone who has used such a chair tell me if this is so?
        >
        >Thank you,
        >Gillian Durham

        it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
      • Dan Baker
        Message 3 of 11 , May 5, 2004
          Its kind of cool to sit in. There are at least eight different arm designs
          from very simple to extremely complex. One of which is just a straight line
          with no "horn" at all.. I can send you some pictures of examples from
          illuminations and other sources if you like.

          Message 4 of 11 , May 5, 2004
            Better to put them in the Photos section.

            Will

            Its kind of cool to sit in. There are at least eight different arm
            designs
            from very simple to extremely complex. One of which is just a straight
            line
            with no "horn" at all.. I can send you some pictures of examples from
            illuminations and other sources if you like.

            --
            In service to the dream,

            Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
            Privateer to the Midrealm

            Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
            (Take time to dance in the rain)

            Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

            >From: "msgilliandurham" <msgilliandurham@...>
            >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Introduction, and Glastonbury chair
            question
            >Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 20:17:30 -0000
            >
            >My thanks for the replies to my question -- I did not realize
            >the "pointy bits" on the arms were a sort of armrest (or
            at
            least an
            >elbow rest). I was picturing someone sitting in such a chair and
            >trying to reach something on a table set to the side of the chair,
            >such as one would if one were doing hand work on something in the
            lap
            >(hand sewing, carving, "knitting" chain mail, etc.) It
            seemed
            to me
            >that the diagonal brace would be right where you'd be reaching to
            get
            >something off the table.
            >
            >As several people have pointed out, backless stools, benches, etc.,
            >were more common. Such a piece of furnitere would have more likely
            >been used in such a situation.
            >
            >My thanks again -- Gillian

          • Dan Baker
            Message 5 of 11 , May 7, 2004
              No problem at all.

              Or if the link doesn't work in the photos section under Rhys' Stuff 9
              examples of different arms of chairs of the Glastonbury type, or precoursers
              to it.

              --

              &lt;msgilliandurham@...&gt;
              >&gt;Reply-To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
              >&gt;To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
              >&gt;Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Introduction, and Glastonbury
              chair
              >question
              >&gt;Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 20:17:30 -0000
              >&gt;
              >&gt;My thanks for the replies to my question -- I did not realize
              >&gt;the &quot;pointy bits&quot; on the arms were a sort of
              armrest (or
              >at
              >least an
              >&gt;elbow rest). I was picturing someone sitting in such a chair and
              >&gt;trying to reach something on a table set to the side of the
              chair,
              >&gt;such as one would if one were doing hand work on something in
              the
              >lap
              >&gt;(hand sewing, carving, &quot;knitting&quot; chain mail,
              etc.) It
              >seemed
              >to me
              >&gt;that the diagonal brace would be right where you'd be reaching
              >get
              >&gt;something off the table.
              >&gt;
              >&gt;As several people have pointed out, backless stools, benches,
              etc.,
              >&gt;were more common. Such a piece of furnitere would have more
              likely
              >&gt;been used in such a situation.
              >&gt;
              >&gt;My thanks again -- Gillian
              >&gt;

              it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
            • Alfricr
              Message 6 of 11 , May 30, 2004
                Greetings Dan!

                I am Alfric Rolfson mka Ralph Mason in the Barony of Three Mountains An Tir (Portland Oregon USA). I have built several of the Glastonbury Style chairs and find that the crooks in the arms direct your arms to fold into your lap and are very comfortable to sit in, if one is limber enough one might even drape a leg over the crook.

                I hope this information is of help.

                Yours in service,

                Alfric
                  From: "Alfricr" <alfric@...>