Re: Vises in japan?

  • Ron Jachim
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2004
      Rope is/was used by Japanese bowmakers to clamp the lamination of a
      yumi (bow) together. You wrap the rope in a spiral around the
      laminations with about an inch of spacing betwen the rope. When you
      go from on end to the other, you go back again, wrapping in the
      opposite direction making sure to cross the rope in the middle of the
      lamination. Tie it off when you get back to where you started. Then
      bamboo wedges are inserted on one side or the other to give the yumi
      its characteristic shape. The bow is then formed and the wedges
      driven in with a small hammer.

      I think David Gray of www.krackow.com sells a video of the process,
      but I don't see it on his web site. The video is by Jaap Koppedrayer
      and is called "All Tied up in Bow Making."

      Ok, I know this doesn't exactly answer the question posed, but I've
      seen this done and it is quite interesting.

      Ron

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Lord Alessandro dEste"