RE: [medievalsawdust] Introduction, and Glastonbury chair question

  • Stefan von Kiel
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2004
      I've made a few Galstonbury chairs and "flatten" that pointy bit on the arm
      rest.

      Stefan von Kiel
      Dwarven Axe Armoury
      www.dwarvenaxe.com

      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2004
        My thanks for the replies to my question -- I did not realize
        the "pointy bits" on the arms were a sort of armrest (or at least an
        elbow rest). I was picturing someone sitting in such a chair and
        trying to reach something on a table set to the side of the chair,
        such as one would if one were doing hand work on something in the lap
        (hand sewing, carving, "knitting" chain mail, etc.) It seemed to me
        that the diagonal brace would be right where you'd be reaching to get
        something off the table.

        As several people have pointed out, backless stools, benches, etc.,
        were more common. Such a piece of furnitere would have more likely
        been used in such a situation.

        My thanks again -- Gillian
      • Dan Baker
        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2004
          I have just made several of them. Actually the elbows rest nicely in the
          curve of the arms. It's very comfortable. If you want to do a very
          simplified version a couple of years ago "World Market" had a folding chair
          based on the Glastonbury. Not parts to put together, cloth sling seat, but
          thats ok. I have seen a number of these chairs at events. You might look
          for one. Or I mght have a couple of pictures of the mechanism somewhere if
          your interested.

          --
          In service to the dream,

          Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
          Privateer to the Midrealm

          Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
          (Take time to dance in the rain)

          Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

          >From: "msgilliandurham" <msgilliandurham@...>
          >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Introduction, and Glastonbury chair question
          >Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:35:14 -0000
          >
          >Good morrow, gentles!
          >
          >My name is Gillian Durham, and I live in the north of England in the
          >beginning of the reign of Queen Elizabeth. I am a merchant who
          >creates many of the items she sells, including some wooden items.
          >
          >My question is this -- I am interested in adding a simplified version
          >of the Glastonbury chair to my wares. I have never sat in one, but
          >from the pictures I have seen, it seems as if people sitting in such
          >a chair would knock their elbows on the diagonal braces which support
          >the back.
          >
          >Can anyone who has used such a chair tell me if this is so?
          >
          >Thank you,
          >Gillian Durham

          it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
        • Dan Baker
          Message 4 of 11 , May 5, 2004
            Its kind of cool to sit in. There are at least eight different arm designs
            from very simple to extremely complex. One of which is just a straight line
            with no "horn" at all.. I can send you some pictures of examples from
            illuminations and other sources if you like.

            Message 5 of 11 , May 5, 2004
              Better to put them in the Photos section.

              Will

              Its kind of cool to sit in. There are at least eight different arm
              designs
              from very simple to extremely complex. One of which is just a straight
              line
              with no "horn" at all.. I can send you some pictures of examples from
              illuminations and other sources if you like.

              --
              In service to the dream,

              Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
              Privateer to the Midrealm

              Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
              (Take time to dance in the rain)

              Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

              >From: "msgilliandurham" <msgilliandurham@...>
              >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Introduction, and Glastonbury chair
              question
              >Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 20:17:30 -0000
              >
              >My thanks for the replies to my question -- I did not realize
              >the "pointy bits" on the arms were a sort of armrest (or
              at
              least an
              >elbow rest). I was picturing someone sitting in such a chair and
              >trying to reach something on a table set to the side of the chair,
              >such as one would if one were doing hand work on something in the
              lap
              >(hand sewing, carving, "knitting" chain mail, etc.) It
              seemed
              to me
              >that the diagonal brace would be right where you'd be reaching to
              get
              >something off the table.
              >
              >As several people have pointed out, backless stools, benches, etc.,
              >were more common. Such a piece of furnitere would have more likely
              >been used in such a situation.
              >
              >My thanks again -- Gillian

            • Dan Baker
              Message 6 of 11 , May 7, 2004
                No problem at all.

                Or if the link doesn't work in the photos section under Rhys' Stuff 9
                examples of different arms of chairs of the Glastonbury type, or precoursers
                to it.

                --

                &lt;msgilliandurham@...&gt;
                >&gt;Reply-To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                >&gt;To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                >&gt;Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Introduction, and Glastonbury
                chair
                >question
                >&gt;Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 20:17:30 -0000
                >&gt;
                >&gt;My thanks for the replies to my question -- I did not realize
                >&gt;the &quot;pointy bits&quot; on the arms were a sort of
                armrest (or
                >at
                >least an
                >&gt;elbow rest). I was picturing someone sitting in such a chair and
                >&gt;trying to reach something on a table set to the side of the
                chair,
                >&gt;such as one would if one were doing hand work on something in
                the
                >lap
                >&gt;(hand sewing, carving, &quot;knitting&quot; chain mail,
                etc.) It
                >seemed
                >to me
                >&gt;that the diagonal brace would be right where you'd be reaching
                >get
                >&gt;something off the table.
                >&gt;
                >&gt;As several people have pointed out, backless stools, benches,
                etc.,
                >&gt;were more common. Such a piece of furnitere would have more
                likely
                >&gt;been used in such a situation.
                >&gt;
                >&gt;My thanks again -- Gillian
                >&gt;

                it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
              • Alfricr
                Message 7 of 11 , May 30, 2004
                  Greetings Dan!

                  I am Alfric Rolfson mka Ralph Mason in the Barony of Three Mountains An Tir (Portland Oregon USA). I have built several of the Glastonbury Style chairs and find that the crooks in the arms direct your arms to fold into your lap and are very comfortable to sit in, if one is limber enough one might even drape a leg over the crook.

                  I hope this information is of help.

                  Yours in service,

                  Alfric
                    From: "Alfricr" <alfric@...>