Re: [medievalsawdust] Introduction, and Glastonbury chair question

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30, 2004
      I've spent quite a bit of time in such chairs...

      Dragano is on the right track, period posture is different from modern
      posture. The basic thing about so-called "Glastonbury" chairs (of which
      the Glastonbury example is a relatively late and not particularly
      representative specimen, but that's Englishmen for you) is that they are
      not really armchairs, and you don't sit in them as you would an armchair.

      You can sit in them with your hands in your lap, or resting on your knees,
      with your elbows either inside the arms or resting on the projecting "horn"
      of the arm. You generally need to sit a little more erect than most people
      do nowadays.

      The Turin chair has even more oddly-shaped arms, but I've sold a couple of
      them and the customers reported the arms were quite comfortable.

      For a brief overview of chairs of this type, see my Web page on the subject:
      http://www.albionworks.net/ChairsPage/FoldingChairs.htm

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Albion Works
      Furniture and Accessories
      For the Medievalist!
      http://www.albionworks.net
      http://www.albionworks.com
    • Stefan von Kiel
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2004
        I've made a few Galstonbury chairs and "flatten" that pointy bit on the arm
        rest.

        Stefan von Kiel
        Dwarven Axe Armoury
        www.dwarvenaxe.com

        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2004
          My thanks for the replies to my question -- I did not realize
          the "pointy bits" on the arms were a sort of armrest (or at least an
          elbow rest). I was picturing someone sitting in such a chair and
          trying to reach something on a table set to the side of the chair,
          such as one would if one were doing hand work on something in the lap
          (hand sewing, carving, "knitting" chain mail, etc.) It seemed to me
          that the diagonal brace would be right where you'd be reaching to get
          something off the table.

          As several people have pointed out, backless stools, benches, etc.,
          were more common. Such a piece of furnitere would have more likely
          been used in such a situation.

          My thanks again -- Gillian
        • Dan Baker
          Message 4 of 11 , May 2, 2004
            I have just made several of them. Actually the elbows rest nicely in the
            curve of the arms. It's very comfortable. If you want to do a very
            simplified version a couple of years ago "World Market" had a folding chair
            based on the Glastonbury. Not parts to put together, cloth sling seat, but
            thats ok. I have seen a number of these chairs at events. You might look
            for one. Or I mght have a couple of pictures of the mechanism somewhere if
            your interested.

            --
            In service to the dream,

            Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
            Privateer to the Midrealm

            Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
            (Take time to dance in the rain)

            Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

            >From: "msgilliandurham" <msgilliandurham@...>
            >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Introduction, and Glastonbury chair question
            >Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:35:14 -0000
            >
            >Good morrow, gentles!
            >
            >My name is Gillian Durham, and I live in the north of England in the
            >beginning of the reign of Queen Elizabeth. I am a merchant who
            >creates many of the items she sells, including some wooden items.
            >
            >My question is this -- I am interested in adding a simplified version
            >of the Glastonbury chair to my wares. I have never sat in one, but
            >from the pictures I have seen, it seems as if people sitting in such
            >a chair would knock their elbows on the diagonal braces which support
            >the back.
            >
            >Can anyone who has used such a chair tell me if this is so?
            >
            >Thank you,
            >Gillian Durham

            it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
          • Dan Baker
            Message 5 of 11 , May 5, 2004
              Its kind of cool to sit in. There are at least eight different arm designs
              from very simple to extremely complex. One of which is just a straight line
              with no "horn" at all.. I can send you some pictures of examples from
              illuminations and other sources if you like.

              Message 6 of 11 , May 5, 2004
                Better to put them in the Photos section.

                Will

                Its kind of cool to sit in. There are at least eight different arm
                designs
                from very simple to extremely complex. One of which is just a straight
                line
                with no "horn" at all.. I can send you some pictures of examples from
                illuminations and other sources if you like.

                --
                In service to the dream,

                Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                Privateer to the Midrealm

                Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                (Take time to dance in the rain)

                Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

                >From: "msgilliandurham" <msgilliandurham@...>
                >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Introduction, and Glastonbury chair
                question
                >Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 20:17:30 -0000
                >
                >My thanks for the replies to my question -- I did not realize
                >the "pointy bits" on the arms were a sort of armrest (or
                at
                least an
                >elbow rest). I was picturing someone sitting in such a chair and
                >trying to reach something on a table set to the side of the chair,
                >such as one would if one were doing hand work on something in the
                lap
                >(hand sewing, carving, "knitting" chain mail, etc.) It
                seemed
                to me
                >that the diagonal brace would be right where you'd be reaching to
                get
                >something off the table.
                >
                >As several people have pointed out, backless stools, benches, etc.,
                >were more common. Such a piece of furnitere would have more likely
                >been used in such a situation.
                >
                >My thanks again -- Gillian

              • Dan Baker
                Message 7 of 11 , May 7, 2004
                  No problem at all.

                  Or if the link doesn't work in the photos section under Rhys' Stuff 9
                  examples of different arms of chairs of the Glastonbury type, or precoursers
                  to it.

                  --

                  &lt;msgilliandurham@...&gt;
                  >&gt;Reply-To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                  >&gt;To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                  >&gt;Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Introduction, and Glastonbury
                  chair
                  >question
                  >&gt;Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 20:17:30 -0000
                  >&gt;
                  >&gt;My thanks for the replies to my question -- I did not realize
                  >&gt;the &quot;pointy bits&quot; on the arms were a sort of
                  armrest (or
                  >at
                  >least an
                  >&gt;elbow rest). I was picturing someone sitting in such a chair and
                  >&gt;trying to reach something on a table set to the side of the
                  chair,
                  >&gt;such as one would if one were doing hand work on something in
                  the
                  >lap
                  >&gt;(hand sewing, carving, &quot;knitting&quot; chain mail,
                  etc.) It
                  >seemed
                  >to me
                  >&gt;that the diagonal brace would be right where you'd be reaching
                  >get
                  >&gt;something off the table.
                  >&gt;
                  >&gt;As several people have pointed out, backless stools, benches,
                  etc.,
                  >&gt;were more common. Such a piece of furnitere would have more
                  likely
                  >&gt;been used in such a situation.
                  >&gt;
                  >&gt;My thanks again -- Gillian
                  >&gt;

                  it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
                • Alfricr
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 30, 2004
                    Greetings Dan!

                    I am Alfric Rolfson mka Ralph Mason in the Barony of Three Mountains An Tir (Portland Oregon USA). I have built several of the Glastonbury Style chairs and find that the crooks in the arms direct your arms to fold into your lap and are very comfortable to sit in, if one is limber enough one might even drape a leg over the crook.

                    I hope this information is of help.

                    Yours in service,

                    Alfric
                      From: "Alfricr" <alfric@...>