Introduction, and Glastonbury chair question

  • msgilliandurham
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30, 2004
      Good morrow, gentles!

      My name is Gillian Durham, and I live in the north of England in the
      beginning of the reign of Queen Elizabeth. I am a merchant who
      creates many of the items she sells, including some wooden items.

      My question is this -- I am interested in adding a simplified version
      of the Glastonbury chair to my wares. I have never sat in one, but
      from the pictures I have seen, it seems as if people sitting in such
      a chair would knock their elbows on the diagonal braces which support
      the back.

      Can anyone who has used such a chair tell me if this is so?

      Thank you,
      Gillian Durham
    • Dragano Abbruciati
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 30, 2004
        I haven't actually been seated in such a chair either.  However, considering your question got me to thinking about "how" we sit in chairs.  In our mundane lives we tend to slouch, recline, and all but lay down in our chairs.  But, Is that the proper posture for a fine chair?  I doubt it.

        I was taught by my grandmother to "sit up" in a chair - back straight, both feet flat on the floor in front of me, hands folded in my lap with elbows no further back than my shoulders.  To her, arms on a straight chair were only to be used for rising and seating oneself in the chair.  The rules were even more strict for my sister.  In addition to all the other rules I had to follow, she also had to keep feet an knees together at all times and, because she had short legs, was never allowed to even touch the back of the chair.

        Perhaps the designer of the Galstonbury chair never even considered that elbows would be anywhere near those back supports.

        Dragano

        msgilliandurham <msgilliandurham@...> wrote:
        Good morrow, gentles!

        My name is Gillian Durham, and I live in the north of England in the
        beginning of the reign of Queen Elizabeth. I am a merchant who
        creates many of the items she sells, including some wooden items.

        My question is this -- I am interested in adding a simplified version
        of the Glastonbury chair to my wares. I have never sat in one, but
        from the pictures I have seen, it seems as if people sitting in such
        a chair would knock their elbows on the diagonal braces which support
        the back.

        Can anyone who has used such a chair tell me if this is so?

        Thank you,
        Gillian Durham

      • Tim Bray
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 30, 2004
          I've spent quite a bit of time in such chairs...

          Dragano is on the right track, period posture is different from modern
          posture. The basic thing about so-called "Glastonbury" chairs (of which
          the Glastonbury example is a relatively late and not particularly
          representative specimen, but that's Englishmen for you) is that they are
          not really armchairs, and you don't sit in them as you would an armchair.

          You can sit in them with your hands in your lap, or resting on your knees,
          with your elbows either inside the arms or resting on the projecting "horn"
          of the arm. You generally need to sit a little more erect than most people
          do nowadays.

          The Turin chair has even more oddly-shaped arms, but I've sold a couple of
          them and the customers reported the arms were quite comfortable.

          For a brief overview of chairs of this type, see my Web page on the subject:
          http://www.albionworks.net/ChairsPage/FoldingChairs.htm

          Cheers,
          Colin

          Albion Works
          Furniture and Accessories
          For the Medievalist!
          http://www.albionworks.net
          http://www.albionworks.com
        • Stefan von Kiel
          Message 4 of 11 , May 1, 2004
            I've made a few Galstonbury chairs and "flatten" that pointy bit on the arm
            rest.

            Stefan von Kiel
            Dwarven Axe Armoury
            www.dwarvenaxe.com

            Message 5 of 11 , May 2, 2004
              My thanks for the replies to my question -- I did not realize
              the "pointy bits" on the arms were a sort of armrest (or at least an
              elbow rest). I was picturing someone sitting in such a chair and
              trying to reach something on a table set to the side of the chair,
              such as one would if one were doing hand work on something in the lap
              (hand sewing, carving, "knitting" chain mail, etc.) It seemed to me
              that the diagonal brace would be right where you'd be reaching to get
              something off the table.

              As several people have pointed out, backless stools, benches, etc.,
              were more common. Such a piece of furnitere would have more likely
              been used in such a situation.

              My thanks again -- Gillian
            • Dan Baker
              Message 6 of 11 , May 2, 2004
                I have just made several of them. Actually the elbows rest nicely in the
                curve of the arms. It's very comfortable. If you want to do a very
                simplified version a couple of years ago "World Market" had a folding chair
                based on the Glastonbury. Not parts to put together, cloth sling seat, but
                thats ok. I have seen a number of these chairs at events. You might look
                for one. Or I mght have a couple of pictures of the mechanism somewhere if
                your interested.

                --
                In service to the dream,

                Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                Privateer to the Midrealm

                Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                (Take time to dance in the rain)

                Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

                >From: "msgilliandurham" <msgilliandurham@...>
                >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Introduction, and Glastonbury chair question
                >Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:35:14 -0000
                >
                >Good morrow, gentles!
                >
                >My name is Gillian Durham, and I live in the north of England in the
                >beginning of the reign of Queen Elizabeth. I am a merchant who
                >creates many of the items she sells, including some wooden items.
                >
                >My question is this -- I am interested in adding a simplified version
                >of the Glastonbury chair to my wares. I have never sat in one, but
                >from the pictures I have seen, it seems as if people sitting in such
                >a chair would knock their elbows on the diagonal braces which support
                >the back.
                >
                >Can anyone who has used such a chair tell me if this is so?
                >
                >Thank you,
                >Gillian Durham

                it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
              • Dan Baker
                Message 7 of 11 , May 5, 2004
                  Its kind of cool to sit in. There are at least eight different arm designs
                  from very simple to extremely complex. One of which is just a straight line
                  with no "horn" at all.. I can send you some pictures of examples from
                  illuminations and other sources if you like.

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 5, 2004
                    Better to put them in the Photos section.

                    Will

                    Its kind of cool to sit in. There are at least eight different arm
                    designs
                    from very simple to extremely complex. One of which is just a straight
                    line
                    with no "horn" at all.. I can send you some pictures of examples from
                    illuminations and other sources if you like.

                    --
                    In service to the dream,

                    Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                    Privateer to the Midrealm

                    Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                    (Take time to dance in the rain)

                    Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

                    >From: "msgilliandurham" <msgilliandurham@...>
                    >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Introduction, and Glastonbury chair
                    question
                    >Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 20:17:30 -0000
                    >
                    >My thanks for the replies to my question -- I did not realize
                    >the "pointy bits" on the arms were a sort of armrest (or
                    at
                    least an
                    >elbow rest). I was picturing someone sitting in such a chair and
                    >trying to reach something on a table set to the side of the chair,
                    >such as one would if one were doing hand work on something in the
                    lap
                    >(hand sewing, carving, "knitting" chain mail, etc.) It
                    seemed
                    to me
                    >that the diagonal brace would be right where you'd be reaching to
                    get
                    >something off the table.
                    >
                    >As several people have pointed out, backless stools, benches, etc.,
                    >were more common. Such a piece of furnitere would have more likely
                    >been used in such a situation.
                    >
                    >My thanks again -- Gillian

                  • Dan Baker
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 7, 2004
                      No problem at all.

                      Or if the link doesn't work in the photos section under Rhys' Stuff 9
                      examples of different arms of chairs of the Glastonbury type, or precoursers
                      to it.

                      --

                    • Alfricr
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 30, 2004
                        Greetings Dan!

                        I am Alfric Rolfson mka Ralph Mason in the Barony of Three Mountains An Tir (Portland Oregon USA). I have built several of the Glastonbury Style chairs and find that the crooks in the arms direct your arms to fold into your lap and are very comfortable to sit in, if one is limber enough one might even drape a leg over the crook.

                        I hope this information is of help.

                        Yours in service,

                        Alfric
                          From: "Alfricr" <alfric@...>