Re: [medievalsawdust] I think it'd be cheaper to make one myself...

  • Brian D. Murphy
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 11, 2002
      Nothing more than a gut feeling, really.  I suppose I'm probably being a bit too pessimistic.  I ran a small antique business for a while and had some experience with reproductions.  Some of them are pretty skillfully executed.  When something looks too good to be true, I often assume it's a fake until proven otherwise.

      My main problem with this chest was an apparent lack of provenance.  There is little information given about the ownership history and origin.  For a piece of this significance (and physical size), I would expect more of that type of information.  Of course, that might also explain why the current owner went to the expense of having it tested.  Dr. Seifert seems to be a genuine dendronchronologist, so I may be all wet in my doubts ;)

      Bran

      Bran wrote: >>I would personally have some serious questions about the authenticity of this piece.  The little table in the background of one of the pictures is kinda cute, though..  <<

      Just outta' curiosity, what makes ya' doubt the chest?