[Fwd: *WH* FWD Blacksmithing and the Mastermyr Chest of Tools.]

  • rmhowe
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2004
      Seems like a good time to repost this. New people and all.
      - Magnus

      Date: 8 Jun 2003 13:40:01 -0000
      From: meridies_metalsmiths@yahoogroups.com
      To: meridies_metalsmiths@yahoogroups.com
      Message: 1
      Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 17:45:30 -0500
      Subject: Fw: blacksmith videos

      Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 00:20:31 -0400
      Subject: SOmething to look at.

      BlankHej!
      A friend sent me the following link to a group that was set up
      near her
      at a mundane blacksmithing hammer in. They are called the Wolves of Wodan,
      they received an award for "most historic display" & put up a series of
      photos of another group of smiths from the Forge e-list that are doing a
      reproduction of the Mastermyr find. Check out the photos of "Age of Iron
      2003" http://groups.msn.com/WolvesofWodan/shoebox.msnw?Page=6
      Pax,
      Olaf of Trollhiemsfjord

      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Incidentally Kayne and Son in Candler NC sells some nice hammers,
      swage blocks, grinders, fly presses, and Pull Max machines.
      http://www.kayneandson.com/
      Were I a professional armorer I would love a Pull Max and
      an English Wheel to save blowing out my elbow.
      (Says he who has trouble driving a dozen 16 d nails now. disabled)
      They are a bit light on round forming stakes but boffo
      on hammers and swage blocks. A wonderful assortment.
      I've been to their shop. You should see the huge truck
      full of tools they take to hammer ins.
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      I was the guy who encouraged the reprint of the Mastermyr
      Find: a Viking Age Tool Chest from Gotland, where it likely
      overturned in a bog that became a meadow and it was turned
      up by a plow. Has blacksmithing, woodworking, jewelry, and
      cooking tools - a folding fish grill and a cauldron associated
      with it. $20 in America from
      Norm Larson Books,
      5426 E. Hwy 246, Lompoc, CA 93436.
      Fax 805-735-8367, Ph 800-743-4766
      Postage is $2 for first book
      plus $.50 for each additional book to a maximum of $5.00
      larbooks@...

      I looked for a Mastermyr book for two years before Norm
      did the reprint, shortly before the author died. After
      two more years I got the hardback original too in English.
      This is the biggest single survival of tools from medieval
      times. Most other books on medieval tools are rare and
      expensive. I paid $240 for Vikingetidens Redskaper by
      Jan Petersen (Viking Age Implements (tools) (from Norway))
      for example. By comparison Mastermyr is an incredible bargain.

      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      The English Medieval Chests book and the Ancient Locks
      and Keys Books are available from Thompson Conservation Laboratory
      and the Caber Press. Look on the pdf flyer for the English
      Medieval Chests reprint, which has measurements and details,
      and rubbings of original carvings on them. A dozen would
      make excellent Xmas gifts for everyone. They sell well too.
      I got rid of two dozen in a couple of days.
      He sells them at discount by the dozen if you care to profit.
      If you want to make a medieval chest and want a good
      idea of how they were put together than this is the
      book for you. It covers initially two centuries but
      the additional plates cover the next two or three.
      http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/caber.htm 1/03

      http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/CaberPress_web.pdf
      Thompson Conservation Lab.
      7549 N. Fenwick
      Portland, Oregon 97217
      USA
      503/735-3942 (ph/fax)
      http://home.teleport.com/~tcl 1/03
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Master Magnus Malleus, OL, Windmasters Hill, Regia.org, Manx, GDH
      Please do not put on the Rialto or any usenet newsgroup.
      Your local kingdom, canton, shire, or friends elist is fine.