Re: Furniture

  • baronconal
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 15, 2002
      For books on turning bowls try the library...
      Look for books put out by woodworking magizines and
      books on using a lathe.

      Or just go to your local MEGA bookstore ( Barnes
      and Noble, Borders, whatever...) and sit down and
      look at a few books there

      Check here for some ideas on reproducing some
      chairs and stools, and a table
      http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/oakley.html

      Check here for other related stuff....
      http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/topics.htm

      Anyone else got ideas?

      Conal

      --- In medievalsawdust@y..., "Fred Newtz" <fbnewtz@h...> wrote:
      > First of all thanks for the reply. I am interested in the SCA, but
      I am not
      > really into the role playing stuff. Now I am interested in the
      authentic
      > period pieces as a history buff more than anything. I really have
      never
      > done anything harder than putting a new door in a external wall so
      most of
      > my experience is relating to construction. I inherited all of my
      > grandfathers tools so I have quite a bit of stuff, but probably not
      the hand
      > tools you are referring to, these are all electric. I also have a
      shop
      > smith model 500 and a shop smith 11 inch bandsaw and a plainer. I
      can also
      > get my hands on any tools that will be required for a project
      basically.

      > I am wanting to do foot stools, chairs possibly, bowls (since I have
      a lathe
      > obviously), and also interested in hand utensils. I found a website
      that
      > offered a booklet on how to make bowls for only 1.95 and cannot find
      the
      > website anymore and forgot to bookmark it. That is the first thing
      I wanted
      > to try as I have been wanting to get my hands wet on the lathe for a
      while
      > now.
      >
      > I am looking up books from Roy right now. Thanks for tip!
      >
      > Fred
    • Kevin Grimm
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 16, 2002
        I took a good course on bowl turning from green wood at Woodcraft. The cost
        of the class was $60.00 and taught just about everything from cutting the
        tree to finishing the bowl. Best $60.00 I ever spent