RE: [medievalsawdust] Wheels on Chests

    Message 1 of 45 , Apr 21, 2004
      Even if
      > the Romans were still around and building roads like
      > mad there is little reason to put wheels on
      > furniture. A barrow at the very most if I need
      > something smallish rolled around.

      I'd bet ( if we're talking little wheels 5 inches or
      less in diameter ) they would have to be made from
      iron
      and even the best Roman road is not going to be smooth
      enough to make that better than carrying the chest.

      If you want to add more manpower, make a litter type
      thing to carry it. Two long poles four or five grunts
      to lug it around.

      =====
      Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
      Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

      http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash
    • Ron Jachim
      Message 45 of 45 , Apr 26, 2004
        Tillers International used to offer a weekend class in coopering They
        also had a class in making coopering tools, and many other cool
        sounding classes.

        http://www.wmich.edu/tillers/home/

        I haven't taken a class from them YET, but I have seen their demos at
        the Michigan State Fair and at local history shows. It seems like a
        first class organization. I did take a Shaker oval box making class
        from a guy that guest teaches there occasionally.

        Ron