Re: [medievalsawdust] Digest Number 431

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 21, 2004
      >Okay.. since it seems to be difficult to find
      >documentation on chests/boxes with wheels, what would
      >anyone suggest for a period way to store armour and
      >weapons, and be able to easily transport said storage
      >device to fighter practices and events?

      Why not just make the box with wheels anyway? (This is
      sort of where I was wanting to go earlier, but didn't
      get a chance to get there before the conversation
      drifted.)

      There are many, many things we have to deal with in
      the SCA (or whatever recreation group you might be
      with) they they didn't have to deal with in the middle
      ages. If I was the persona I pretend to be, I could
      walk out my door and be in a medieval city. 90% of the
      time I would be less than a mile or so from everything
      I owned.

      Instead I have to load everything that I want to have
      handy into the car and drive three hours to be at an
      event. Some allowances have to be made.

      My strategy has always been: make it as much like they
      would have made it as you can, making whatever
      allowances you need to. The little cart with the
      hidden wheels that someone posted a link to a bit ago
      is a perfect example of this.

      There are no bonus points to be had for comming up
      with an esoteric line of reasoning showing that
      samsonite luggage could be medieval.

      Avery
    • windsingersmoon
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 21, 2004
        I'm gonna try and dodge the flying arrow sent my way on this, but
        I've gotta add my two cents worth of non-wood for a change.

        Years ago, after years of being tired of having my lords' heavy
        armor piled in our event vehicle, smelly and wet with sweat and/or
        rain, on top of other stuff, to trip over (we slept in the van) I
        finally found a solution. He pitched a fit, at first, and flatly
        refused to consider the idea, but I insisted he try to. I found a
        wheeled burgandy color Rubbermaid 'barrel' at K-Mart. water tight,
        wheels, handle, and could held every piece of his armor but the
        sword and shield. and hold it up-right for traveling, could be
        removed from the van, and set outside, safe from rain/dew (and it
        sets up-right in our truck now) his sword through the handle on it,
        his shield propped agains the outside.

        But at first he only agreed to use it to store his armor in at home.
        In time, he agreed to use it to transport his armor, but wanted no-
        one to know. (the argument was "I don't want anyone to know my
        armor is in a 'Trash' can !!!!" I told him it Wasn't a 'trash
        can' until you put 'trash' in it....it was Only a 'container' but if
        you put armor in it, it became an 'armor barrel'

        Which, when you get right down to brass tacks, is all they
        are....modern barrels.

        My lord's armor fills it to the top. It's lightweight. In time,
        the sun changed the burgandy color to a pleasing brown. Being
        Rubbermaid, it's tough. The first time my lord took it to an
        event, someone caught him putting his armor back into it (next to
        our van) and the man had teased "Awww, mi-lord....don't throw it
        away...!.....you'll get better !!!"
        Hastar has no sense of humor. He glared at the man. (and I caught
        it later)
        But, the 'barrel' worked so well for transpotation and home storage,
        that he continued to use it. In time, at one hot event, he'd
        removed his armor on the field. when it came time to collect it to
        take it back to the van, the easiest way to get it back, was to put
        it back on. But it was hot, and he couldn't stand the idea of
        that, so he swallowed his pride and went back for the barrel,
        realizing he was about to face a lot of ridicule. when he got the
        barrel to the field, and started adding his armor to it, several
        guys came over to watch, not saying anything. finally one commented
        "Hey, that is Such a cool idea !!! so practical !!! Do you mind if
        I borrow it? I mean I'd like to get one of those to store mine in
        too, would you mind me borrowing your idea ???" The next thing
        H. knew several guys had come over to examine the plan, and started
        talking about 'armor barrels'
        He wheeled his armor easily back to the van, and never said another
        word about hiding his barrel again, and a number of folks in
        Meriedies now use them.

        Okay, it's plastic. You can always cover the thing with a burlap
        bag if you're offended by the sight of plastic, but it's
        lightweight,wheeled and handled, and water-proof, and makes for
        perfect storage at home and abroad. As a lover of all things wood,
        I'd be the first one to prefer to use 'wood' when-ever possible, but
        this time it's just not practicle.
        End of soapbox speech.
        Shara

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Avery Austringer

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 21, 2004

          > Why not just make the box with wheels anyway? (This
          > is
          > sort of where I was wanting to go earlier, but
          > didn't
          > get a chance to get there before the conversation
          > drifted.)

          Have you ever hear of the '10 foot rule'?

          If you can make it look medieval from ten
          feet away, go for it!

          Oh, and remember the C part of our name.

          Society for CREATIVE Anacromism.

          =====
          Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
          Seneschal, Barony of Fenix