Re: [medievalsawdust] 14 th C chests

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6, 2004
      >I am interested in making a few wooden chests for my SCA encampment. I
      >am looking at the later part of the 14 th century. I was considering
      >using the plans in Diehl's book Medieval Furniture project 10 The
      >Paneled Coffer.

      That must be in the second book, which I don't have. But I haven't seen
      anything to indicate that frame-and panel chests were made before the 15th
      c. For the late 14th I would go with a clamped-front style instead, maybe
      with some carving or ironwork. The book Sir Stanford recommended is an
      excellent resource for these. Don't be put off by the 13th c attribution
      in the title, the same style was in continuous use from early 13th through
      late 16th c.

      >I have a stack of red oak sitting outside (it has been air drying for
      >two winters now) of various thicknesses 1 to 8 cm thick.

      The 1 cm (pretty thin!) should be dry, but the 8 cm might not be. You can
      probably design around this anyway. The clamped-front style is a
      remarkably robust design, despite the "cross-grain situation" in the front
      and back panels. Elongate the peg holes a little in the direction of
      possible shrinkage and you're okay.

      >Before I put
      >in the sweat of trimming it and planing it I want to have an idea what
      >pieces I need.

      A clamped-front chest is not an easy project, there are a lot of pieces
      (depending on how you want to do the ends) and some careful joinery
      (especially the lid batten pin-hinges), so you will want to draw the whole
      thing out to scale and work out the dimensions and joints for each piece
      before you touch any wood. You need thick stuff (about 3 to 4 cm) for the
      legs, medium thick (2 to 2.5 cm) for the front and back panels and the lid
      (and the battens), thin stuff (even as thin as 1 cm) for the end and bottom
      panels, and maybe some more thick stuff for the joined frames on the ends.

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Albion Works
      Furniture and Accessories
      For the Medievalist!
      http://www.albionworks.net
      http://www.albionworks.com
    • langdon_g
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 7, 2004
        > Greetings,
        >
        > I am interested in making a few wooden chests for my SCA encampment. I
        > am looking at the later part of the 14 th century. I was considering
        > using the plans in Diehl's book Medieval Furniture project 10 The
        > Paneled Coffer. But I have read some posts on this list that think
        > poorly of these books.

        snip
        > Richard

        The main problem that many people have with Dan's books are that he is
        not foremost a woodworker. His plans and construction methods are not
        always complete. I have built some pieces from his first book, but did
        not rely on his directions and I did consider that they were copies of
        furniture in a "medieval style" more than a period reproduction. The
        nice thing about the books is that he does give a single source /
        single piece explanation rather than trying to combine similar pieces
        to follow a medieval mind and create a period piece of furniture.

        Also I just loaded a better picture on my Photos folder (Langdon) that
        shows a hutch style chest under a style of 6-board chest.

        Langdon
      • Dan Baker
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 7, 2004
          I got a new one I am working on. A "rebated clamp front" chest. 15th-16th
          century (mostly 16th) And they seem to be unique to Wales, from what I can
          find of them so far. Big though, about 4 feet long, going to be our new
          garb boxes. I will have pictures and plans soon, I have found at least 4
          examples of it in Museums. Right now I am working from a picture.

          --
          In service to the dream,

          Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
          Privateer to the Midrealm

          Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
          (Take time to dance in the rain)

          Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

          >From: "James Winkler" <jrwinkler@...>
          >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: Re: [medievalsawdust] 14 th C chests
          >Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 16:05:56 -0500
          >
          >Well...there's always the 6-board chest on my website
          (www.medievalwood.org/charles<http://www.medievalwood.org/charles>)...
          the nice thing about this design (specifically for SCA camping) is that
          its rugged, and, if ya' put em' in your truck right you can still slide the
          pavillion poles underneath of them... the original chest was dated closer
          to the late 16th c... but the basic style was used long before that...

          >One piece of advise on chest for encampments... if hauling space is
          limited in any way... figure out what space you have in your wagon and then
          build the chests to fit the conveyance... its amazing how much more
          wonderful your life can become if you give an inch here... and add an inch
          there. In the original packing mode... I built the chests I use to stand
          over the rear wheel humps in the bed of my pickup... just over. Kept the
          height down and allowed me to square out the load...

          >I haven't built any of Diehl's things... more because I like to try to
          reproduce what I find in pictures... but that's just me... so I can't
          comment on his plans based on first hand experience...

          >On the other hand... chances are pretty good that if ya' look through
          the manuscripts and find a chest ya' like somebody on this list could
          probably help ya' work out plans to build it... (hey... start a trend!)

          >Chas.

          Service<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

        • sdhunter3
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 7, 2004
            Just added some pictures of chests I have made over the years.
            Actually, these are two chests and a casket.

            Another reference to look at is
            Ancient Coffers and Cupboards,
            Their History and Description, F.Roe, Methuen & Co., 1902

            Sir Stanford

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Lowry <alowry@w...>