Re: garden woodwork projects

  • Patricia Emery
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 6 7:00 PM
      Until you're ready to begin planting, why not go ahead and check out
      the yahoo.com MedievalGardening group. Although they only had a few
      ideas about gardening architecture, they have been very helpful with
      other aspects of my garden!

      I am just starting to research Medieval Gardening tools. I'd like to
      make my own dibble, spade, rake and wheelbarrow - all of which can be
      done without a blacksmith... From illuminations, I've seen shovels
      where the handle is to one side of the spade part - not evenly placed
      in the middle. The whole thing is made from a solid piece of wood.
      Not sure as to the techniques used to create it. How were other long-
      handled tools made, I wonder?

      I had just recently ordered The Medieval Gardener written by Sylvia
      Landsberg so am still waiting for it to arrive. Glad to know it is a
      good one! Someone from the other list reccomended it as well, so I
      ordered it last week. They stated it shows several versions of
      arbors as well as turf seats. Many of these are made with wooden
      sides held together with stakes, much the same way the raised beds
      were made. I'm making my raised beds out of modern milled 2X8's
      (untreated, of course!), but I'm going to make the stakes myself from
      oak logs from the tree felled by Hurricane Isabel!

      Some other future medieval garden woodwork projects are the afore
      mentioned arbor and turf seat, fences, gates, trellises and other
      period plant supports. If I ever meet a cooper, I'd also like to try
      my hand at making my own buckets! That one will probably be a while
      off, yet...

      Jessimond

      >"...I have a dream of making a medieval garden in my back yard
      someday but so far it is just a dream....I would be interested to
      learn what if anything you have made or have researched. I would like
      to have some period digging tools..."