Re: garden woodwork projects

  • Andrew Lowry
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 6, 2004
      On 6-Apr-04, at 3:48 AM, medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 15:12:51 -0000
      > From: "Patricia Emery" <jessimond@...>
      > Subject: garden woodwork projects
      >
      > However, I am curious to know
      > if anyone on this list is into medieval garden architecure - turf
      > benches, gates, raised beds or grape arbors?

      I have a dream of making a medieval garden in my back yard someday but
      so far it is just a dream.

      > What about making your
      > own period gardening tools - dibbles and spades perhaps?

      I would be interested to learn what if anything you have made or have
      researched. I would like to have some period digging tools.

      > I would like to try to grow grapevines on a period structure. Any
      > one here ever build a period-style covered arbor or pergola? I have
      > been researching such items and discovered most period art shows them
      > with arched tops, not flat ones. I have no experience with this type
      > of project and do not know where to begin with creating one for my
      > own medieval garden, especially on my limited "do-it-yourself"
      > budget!
      >
      > Any ideas, comments or documentation for flat-top arbors dating
      > before 1500? All are welcome!

      My reference book is The Medieval Gardener written by Sylvia Landsberg
      1995 British Museum Press ISBN 0-7141-2082-4. I purchased it after
      visiting Queen's Eleanor's garden in Winchester which is a recreated
      Royal Garden. If you don't have this book I suggest you get it.

      On page 49 she writes, 'Flat-topped pergolas which were constructed
      from timber or from tree trunks also formed a canopy over paths,'

      On page 138 there is a 15 th C picture of a flat topped small vine
      arbour using forked vertical poles. (Bibliotheque Nationale, PAris NAL
      1673, f.103v On the previous page she shows how to make a modern one
      with growing advice (Note it is for England with their mild climate).

      Best of luck

      Richard
    • Patricia Emery
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 6, 2004
        Until you're ready to begin planting, why not go ahead and check out
        the yahoo.com MedievalGardening group. Although they only had a few
        ideas about gardening architecture, they have been very helpful with
        other aspects of my garden!

        I am just starting to research Medieval Gardening tools. I'd like to
        make my own dibble, spade, rake and wheelbarrow - all of which can be
        done without a blacksmith... From illuminations, I've seen shovels
        where the handle is to one side of the spade part - not evenly placed
        in the middle. The whole thing is made from a solid piece of wood.
        Not sure as to the techniques used to create it. How were other long-
        handled tools made, I wonder?

        I had just recently ordered The Medieval Gardener written by Sylvia
        Landsberg so am still waiting for it to arrive. Glad to know it is a
        good one! Someone from the other list reccomended it as well, so I
        ordered it last week. They stated it shows several versions of
        arbors as well as turf seats. Many of these are made with wooden
        sides held together with stakes, much the same way the raised beds
        were made. I'm making my raised beds out of modern milled 2X8's
        (untreated, of course!), but I'm going to make the stakes myself from
        oak logs from the tree felled by Hurricane Isabel!

        Some other future medieval garden woodwork projects are the afore
        mentioned arbor and turf seat, fences, gates, trellises and other
        period plant supports. If I ever meet a cooper, I'd also like to try
        my hand at making my own buckets! That one will probably be a while
        off, yet...

        Jessimond

        >"...I have a dream of making a medieval garden in my back yard
        someday but so far it is just a dream....I would be interested to