14 th C chests

  • Andrew Lowry
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6, 2004
      Greetings,

      I am interested in making a few wooden chests for my SCA encampment. I
      am looking at the later part of the 14 th century. I was considering
      using the plans in Diehl's book Medieval Furniture project 10 The
      Paneled Coffer. But I have read some posts on this list that think
      poorly of these books.

      So any comments on these specific plans?

      Any suggestions for plans that I should look at or purchase/

      I have a stack of red oak sitting outside (it has been air drying for
      two winters now) of various thicknesses 1 to 8 cm thick. Before I put
      in the sweat of trimming it and planing it I want to have an idea what
      pieces I need.

      Regards,

      Richard
    • sdhunter3
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6, 2004
        I'll let others comment on Diehl's books.
        You might also look at these two books

        "Master Pieces, Making Furniture from Paintings," by Ball & Campbell,
        Hearst Books, 1983. There are several medieval pieces shown in this
        book (along with some other bizzar stuf).

        "Church Chests of the Twelfth and Thirteenth Centuries in England,"
        Johnson, Caber Press 2001, reprint of Arch. J. 64, no. 4, 1907.

        Other sources:
        www.greydragon.org/library/chests.html
        www.medievalwoodworking.com/articles/present/chests.html

        Regards,
        Sir Stanford

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Lowry <alowry@w...>
        wrote:
        > Greetings,
        >
        > I am interested in making a few wooden chests for my SCA
        encampment. I
        > am looking at the later part of the 14 th century. I was
        considering
        > using the plans in Diehl's book Medieval Furniture project 10 The
        > Paneled Coffer. But I have read some posts on this list that think
        > poorly of these books.
        >
        > So any comments on these specific plans?
        >
        > Any suggestions for plans that I should look at or purchase/
        >
        > I have a stack of red oak sitting outside (it has been air drying
        for
        > two winters now) of various thicknesses 1 to 8 cm thick. Before I
        put
        > in the sweat of trimming it and planing it I want to have an idea
        what
        > pieces I need.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Richard
      • James Winkler
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6, 2004
          Well...there's always the 6-board chest on my website (www.medievalwood.org/charles)...   the nice thing about this design (specifically for SCA camping) is that its rugged, and, if ya' put em' in your truck right you can still slide the pavillion poles underneath of them...   the original chest was dated closer to the late 16th c... but the basic style was used long before that...

          One piece of advise on chest for encampments...  if hauling space is limited in any way... figure out what space you have in your wagon and then build the chests to fit the conveyance...  its amazing how much more wonderful your life can become if you give an inch here...  and add an inch there.  In the original packing mode... I built the chests I use to stand over the rear wheel humps in the bed of my pickup...  just over.  Kept the height down and allowed me to square out the load...

          I haven't built any of Diehl's things...  more because I like to try to reproduce what I find in pictures...  but that's just me... so I can't comment on his plans based on first hand experience...

          On the other hand... chances are pretty good that if ya' look through the manuscripts and find a chest ya' like somebody on this list could probably help ya' work out plans to build it...  (hey... start a trend!)

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 6, 2004
              >I am interested in making a few wooden chests for my SCA encampment. I
              >am looking at the later part of the 14 th century. I was considering
              >using the plans in Diehl's book Medieval Furniture project 10 The
              >Paneled Coffer.

              That must be in the second book, which I don't have. But I haven't seen
              anything to indicate that frame-and panel chests were made before the 15th
              c. For the late 14th I would go with a clamped-front style instead, maybe
              with some carving or ironwork. The book Sir Stanford recommended is an
              excellent resource for these. Don't be put off by the 13th c attribution
              in the title, the same style was in continuous use from early 13th through
              late 16th c.

              >I have a stack of red oak sitting outside (it has been air drying for
              >two winters now) of various thicknesses 1 to 8 cm thick.

              The 1 cm (pretty thin!) should be dry, but the 8 cm might not be. You can
              probably design around this anyway. The clamped-front style is a
              remarkably robust design, despite the "cross-grain situation" in the front
              and back panels. Elongate the peg holes a little in the direction of
              possible shrinkage and you're okay.

              >Before I put
              >in the sweat of trimming it and planing it I want to have an idea what
              >pieces I need.

              A clamped-front chest is not an easy project, there are a lot of pieces
              (depending on how you want to do the ends) and some careful joinery
              (especially the lid batten pin-hinges), so you will want to draw the whole
              thing out to scale and work out the dimensions and joints for each piece
              before you touch any wood. You need thick stuff (about 3 to 4 cm) for the
              legs, medium thick (2 to 2.5 cm) for the front and back panels and the lid
              (and the battens), thin stuff (even as thin as 1 cm) for the end and bottom
              panels, and maybe some more thick stuff for the joined frames on the ends.

              Cheers,
              Colin

              Albion Works
              Furniture and Accessories
              For the Medievalist!
              http://www.albionworks.net
              http://www.albionworks.com
            • langdon_g
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 7, 2004
                > Greetings,
                >
                > I am interested in making a few wooden chests for my SCA encampment. I
                > am looking at the later part of the 14 th century. I was considering
                > using the plans in Diehl's book Medieval Furniture project 10 The
                > Paneled Coffer. But I have read some posts on this list that think
                > poorly of these books.

                snip
                > Richard

                The main problem that many people have with Dan's books are that he is
                not foremost a woodworker. His plans and construction methods are not
                always complete. I have built some pieces from his first book, but did
                not rely on his directions and I did consider that they were copies of
                furniture in a "medieval style" more than a period reproduction. The
                nice thing about the books is that he does give a single source /
                single piece explanation rather than trying to combine similar pieces
                to follow a medieval mind and create a period piece of furniture.

                Also I just loaded a better picture on my Photos folder (Langdon) that
                shows a hutch style chest under a style of 6-board chest.

                Langdon
              • Dan Baker
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 7, 2004
                  I got a new one I am working on. A "rebated clamp front" chest. 15th-16th
                  century (mostly 16th) And they seem to be unique to Wales, from what I can
                  find of them so far. Big though, about 4 feet long, going to be our new
                  garb boxes. I will have pictures and plans soon, I have found at least 4
                  examples of it in Museums. Right now I am working from a picture.

                  --
                  In service to the dream,

                  Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                  Privateer to the Midrealm

                  Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                  (Take time to dance in the rain)

                  Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

                  (www.medievalwood.org/charles<http://www.medievalwood.org/charles>)...
                  the nice thing about this design (specifically for SCA camping) is that
                  its rugged, and, if ya' put em' in your truck right you can still slide the
                  pavillion poles underneath of them... the original chest was dated closer
                  to the late 16th c... but the basic style was used long before that...

                  >One piece of advise on chest for encampments... if hauling space is
                  limited in any way... figure out what space you have in your wagon and then
                  build the chests to fit the conveyance... its amazing how much more
                  wonderful your life can become if you give an inch here... and add an inch
                  there. In the original packing mode... I built the chests I use to stand
                  over the rear wheel humps in the bed of my pickup... just over. Kept the
                  height down and allowed me to square out the load...

                  >I haven't built any of Diehl's things... more because I like to try to
                  reproduce what I find in pictures... but that's just me... so I can't
                  comment on his plans based on first hand experience...

                  >On the other hand... chances are pretty good that if ya' look through
                  the manuscripts and find a chest ya' like somebody on this list could
                  probably help ya' work out plans to build it... (hey... start a trend!)

                  >Chas.

                  Service<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                • sdhunter3
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 7, 2004
                    Just added some pictures of chests I have made over the years.
                    Actually, these are two chests and a casket.

                    Another reference to look at is
                    Ancient Coffers and Cupboards,
                    Their History and Description, F.Roe, Methuen & Co., 1902