garden woodwork projects

  • Patricia Emery
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2004
      I have noticed that, with a few exceptions, most of the projects
      discussed on this group are furniture, service ware (ie.
      bowls/spoons), tools and camping items. All perfectly understandable
      given that most of us are in the SCA! However, I am curious to know
      if anyone on this list is into medieval garden architecure - turf
      benches, gates, raised beds or grape arbors? What about making your
      own period gardening tools - dibbles and spades perhaps?

      I would like to try to grow grapevines on a period structure. Any
      one here ever build a period-style covered arbor or pergola? I have
      been researching such items and discovered most period art shows them
      with arched tops, not flat ones. I have no experience with this type
      of project and do not know where to begin with creating one for my
      own medieval garden, especially on my limited "do-it-yourself"
      budget!

      Any ideas, comments or documentation for flat-top arbors dating
      before 1500? All are welcome!

      Lastly, I would like to take a moment to thank Master Charles for
      sharing his wheelbarrow project - its definately on my "to-do" list
      for this summer! Mine may never carry armor, but I am quite certain
      I shall put it to good use just the same! ;-)

      Jessimond
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2004
        Patricia,
        I've been involved with a couple of timber-frame style buildings, but
        strictly as a mallet weilder and twybill swinger.

        But I do have a medieval gardening consultant on tap. I have forwarded
        your request to her. If she has the time, she will probably shoot you a
        few references.

        Will

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Patricia Emery
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2004
          Thanks Will! I posted the same query on the Medieval Gardenders
          group and someone there actually suggested PLASTIC - Ugh! I'd sooner
          use bamboo... not very English, but at least its "natural"... <grin>

          Jessimond

          > I've been involved with a couple of timber-frame style buildings,
          but
          > strictly as a mallet weilder and twybill swinger.
          >
          > But I do have a medieval gardening consultant on tap. I have
          forwarded
          > your request to her. If she has the time, she will probably shoot
          you a
          > few references.
          >
          > Will
        • Andrew Lowry
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 6, 2004
            On 6-Apr-04, at 3:48 AM, medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com wrote:

            > Message: 1
            > Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 15:12:51 -0000
            > From: "Patricia Emery" <jessimond@...>
            > Subject: garden woodwork projects
            >
            > However, I am curious to know
            > if anyone on this list is into medieval garden architecure - turf
            > benches, gates, raised beds or grape arbors?

            I have a dream of making a medieval garden in my back yard someday but
            so far it is just a dream.

            > What about making your
            > own period gardening tools - dibbles and spades perhaps?

            I would be interested to learn what if anything you have made or have
            researched. I would like to have some period digging tools.

            > I would like to try to grow grapevines on a period structure. Any
            > one here ever build a period-style covered arbor or pergola? I have
            > been researching such items and discovered most period art shows them
            > with arched tops, not flat ones. I have no experience with this type
            > of project and do not know where to begin with creating one for my
            > own medieval garden, especially on my limited "do-it-yourself"
            > budget!
            >
            > Any ideas, comments or documentation for flat-top arbors dating
            > before 1500? All are welcome!

            My reference book is The Medieval Gardener written by Sylvia Landsberg
            1995 British Museum Press ISBN 0-7141-2082-4. I purchased it after
            visiting Queen's Eleanor's garden in Winchester which is a recreated
            Royal Garden. If you don't have this book I suggest you get it.

            On page 49 she writes, 'Flat-topped pergolas which were constructed
            from timber or from tree trunks also formed a canopy over paths,'

            On page 138 there is a 15 th C picture of a flat topped small vine
            arbour using forked vertical poles. (Bibliotheque Nationale, PAris NAL
            1673, f.103v On the previous page she shows how to make a modern one
            with growing advice (Note it is for England with their mild climate).

            Best of luck

            Richard
          • Patricia Emery
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 6, 2004
              Until you're ready to begin planting, why not go ahead and check out
              the yahoo.com MedievalGardening group. Although they only had a few
              ideas about gardening architecture, they have been very helpful with
              other aspects of my garden!

              I am just starting to research Medieval Gardening tools. I'd like to
              make my own dibble, spade, rake and wheelbarrow - all of which can be
              done without a blacksmith... From illuminations, I've seen shovels
              where the handle is to one side of the spade part - not evenly placed
              in the middle. The whole thing is made from a solid piece of wood.
              Not sure as to the techniques used to create it. How were other long-
              handled tools made, I wonder?

              I had just recently ordered The Medieval Gardener written by Sylvia
              Landsberg so am still waiting for it to arrive. Glad to know it is a
              good one! Someone from the other list reccomended it as well, so I
              ordered it last week. They stated it shows several versions of
              arbors as well as turf seats. Many of these are made with wooden
              sides held together with stakes, much the same way the raised beds
              were made. I'm making my raised beds out of modern milled 2X8's
              (untreated, of course!), but I'm going to make the stakes myself from
              oak logs from the tree felled by Hurricane Isabel!

              Some other future medieval garden woodwork projects are the afore
              mentioned arbor and turf seat, fences, gates, trellises and other
              period plant supports. If I ever meet a cooper, I'd also like to try
              my hand at making my own buckets! That one will probably be a while
              off, yet...

              Jessimond

              >"...I have a dream of making a medieval garden in my back yard
              someday but so far it is just a dream....I would be interested to