Re: [medievalsawdust] Furniture

  • Fred Newtz
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 15, 2002
      First of all thanks for the reply. I am interested in the SCA, but I am not
      really into the role playing stuff. Now I am interested in the authentic
      period pieces as a history buff more than anything. I really have never
      done anything harder than putting a new door in a external wall so most of
      my experience is relating to construction. I inherited all of my
      grandfathers tools so I have quite a bit of stuff, but probably not the hand
      tools you are referring to, these are all electric. I also have a shop
      smith model 500 and a shop smith 11 inch bandsaw and a plainer. I can also
      get my hands on any tools that will be required for a project basically.

      I am wanting to do foot stools, chairs possibly, bowls (since I have a lathe
      obviously), and also interested in hand utensils. I found a website that
      offered a booklet on how to make bowls for only 1.95 and cannot find the
      website anymore and forgot to bookmark it. That is the first thing I wanted
      to try as I have been wanting to get my hands wet on the lathe for a while
      now.

      I am looking up books from Roy right now. Thanks for tip!

      Fred
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 15, 2002
        For books on turning bowls try the library...
        Look for books put out by woodworking magizines and
        books on using a lathe.

        Or just go to your local MEGA bookstore ( Barnes
        and Noble, Borders, whatever...) and sit down and
        look at a few books there

        Check here for some ideas on reproducing some
        chairs and stools, and a table
        http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/oakley.html

        Check here for other related stuff....
        http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/topics.htm

        Anyone else got ideas?

        Conal

        --- In medievalsawdust@y..., "Fred Newtz" <fbnewtz@h...> wrote:
        > First of all thanks for the reply. I am interested in the SCA, but
        I am not
        > really into the role playing stuff. Now I am interested in the
        authentic
        > period pieces as a history buff more than anything. I really have
        never
        > done anything harder than putting a new door in a external wall so
        most of
        > my experience is relating to construction. I inherited all of my
        > grandfathers tools so I have quite a bit of stuff, but probably not
        the hand
        > tools you are referring to, these are all electric. I also have a
        shop
        > smith model 500 and a shop smith 11 inch bandsaw and a plainer. I
        can also
        > get my hands on any tools that will be required for a project
        basically.

        > I am wanting to do foot stools, chairs possibly, bowls (since I have
        a lathe
        > obviously), and also interested in hand utensils. I found a website
        that
        > offered a booklet on how to make bowls for only 1.95 and cannot find
        the
        > website anymore and forgot to bookmark it. That is the first thing
        I wanted
        > to try as I have been wanting to get my hands wet on the lathe for a
        while
        > now.
        >
        > I am looking up books from Roy right now. Thanks for tip!
        >
        > Fred
      • Kevin Grimm
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 16, 2002
          I took a good course on bowl turning from green wood at Woodcraft. The cost
          of the class was $60.00 and taught just about everything from cutting the
          tree to finishing the bowl. Best $60.00 I ever spent