Chris Roberts

  • croberts85us
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2004
      As I mentioned in my lats post, I am new to the site. I work at a
      historic site in Manteo, NC Our site deals with englands first
      attempt at colonization. The year was 1585, two years prior to the
      Lost Colony of 1587 and 22 years before Jamestown. Sir Walter
      Raleigh Sent 7 ships to the New world with about 600 tradesmen and
      soldiers. No women came as part of the colony-bummer :(
      The ships all ran aground trying to come into the islands. Many of
      the foodstores and animals were thrown overboard. With this "minor "
      setback they decided to only leave behind 108 men to stay.

      These men Stayed on Roanoke Island for 10 months and went back to
      England With Sir Francis Drake.

      Some of the cool things about the colony.

      On the way here one of there small ships called a Pinnace broke loose
      from the Tiger. They built a replacement for this ship about 25-30
      tonne ship in 9 days. Granted they had a few hundred men building it
      but no plans no power tools and they had to set up a forge to do the
      ironwork.

      They built the fortification and houses in 3 weeks.

      Our site has a Bark of 50 tonnes called The Elizabeth II which I have
      had the pleasure to sail on numerous times- climbing the rig, I
      really enjoy rigging the ship. It is very rewarding to watch all the
      lines come together and then sail the ship.

      We have a settlement site that shows what life would have been like
      during the first few weeks after the colonist arrived. As I
      mentioned before I have been building a half timber-framed blacksmith
      shop. I am currently hewing logs which will become a
      woodworking "Lean to " similar to ones found in De re Metallica. We
      also have tents set up.

      We have a 8500 sq ft museum tracing the history of the outer banks
      from 1585- present/.

      We have a movie "docudrama" showing the natives perspective of the
      english comming to the area- far fetched but decent movie. And much
      much more

      As you can tell I really enjoy the place and I sound like an ad for
      it.

      As soon as I can I will post some of my work.

      Chris
    • chris roberts
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2004