Re: [medievalsawdust] Digest Number 404

  • Dragano Abbruciati
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 24, 2004
      So, you are saying that silver or gold could not possibly be casted into wood wihtout scorching the wood.  Correct?

      John Price <pricej@...> wrote:
      Although it is possible to cast pewter into wood, you can not do this with other metals such as silver or gold. (the wood will burn) I guess it is possible to cast the item in metal then cut the grove an put the inlay in, but that isn't much different than using flat wire.

      Based on what little I know of woodworking and metal working, if you want to inlay in any metal with a melting point above pewter, it would be much easier and faster to use flat wire that is "sharpened" or filed down a bit on one edge.

         Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 06:50:49 -0800 (PST)
         From: Dragano Abbruciati <dragano_abbruciati@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: questions

      Well, the experiment is on!  I think if this group puts its collective mind to the task and puts that information into the hands of a rank amature (namely me) and it works, we will have a good basis for the theory that it was done that way.  However, if it fails and we can determine why if failed, we may have bolstered the case for wire inlay.

      I have been keeping all the comments given on this project so far.  I will also make a detailed account of how the experiment was conducted and the results thereof.  I don't know if the resulting documentation will be considered authoritative at an A&S competition, but it might be worth mentioning in your next inlay project.  And besides....I think it'll be fun to see what our results are.

      For all of you cross-craftsmen (wood & metal workers), I need more information on heating and pouring metal.

      Dragano