Finishing help

  • Ron Jachim
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 23, 2004
      I want to finish some camp woodwork that I made of white pine -- just
      basic stuff like a chest and a table. I'm thinking linseed oil for a
      nice period finish. That seems to be the choice of many here.

      How many coats should I use & how long should I let them dry between
      coats. Should I wax over the last coat of oil? What kind of wax
      should I use and how do I do it?

      Thanks,
      Ron
    • jim
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 23, 2004
        Hello,
        Linseed oil is real easy to use. Just follow the
        instructions on the can and you can't go wrong.
        I've found that the best way to apply is with a
        cotton rag (old t-shirt's the best), totally
        saturating
        the wood, let soak in, re-apply in like 5-10 mins,
        then
        wipe off excess in 20 mins. Being that it's an oul
        that
        soaks into the wood there is not really such a thing
        as
        a number of coats. more oil can be added later if
        needed
        if the wood looks like it's needed.
        *warning- linseed oil + cotton cloth = flash
        combustion
        soak used rags in a bucket of water*

        For wax, you need any type of furnature paste wax
        (Johnson's
        Paste wax being the most widely sold)
        rub on, let sit, rub off, repeat as needed

        Smithur

      • Arthur Slaughter
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 23, 2004
          One old formula is " A coat a day for a week, a coat a week for a month , and a coat a year for ever.
            Myself,self I use about four coats spread over a week or so.
          For durability I usualy use a carnauba based gym floor wax on things that will be hauled aaround to events. For period pieces I use beeswax disolved in turps.
          Finn

          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 23, 2004
            RE: linseed oil:

            >How many coats should I use & how long should I let them dry between
            >coats.

            At least two coats are usually necessary to get a good appearance, but Finn
            beat me to the old saying. Basically linseed oil can be re-applied almost
            indefinitely, though after four or five applications you probably aren't
            gaining much.

            I usually thin the first application about 50% with turpentine to get good
            penetration. Wait 24 hours and then apply a full-strength coat, leave it
            on for 15 to 30 minutes and then wipe off any excess. Let that cure for 24
            to 48 hours before applying more. Linseed oil actually takes about a week
            to fully cure, longer if it's cold or humid. You can speed it up with
            Japan drier.

            > Should I wax over the last coat of oil?

            Can if you want to. It will give a higher sheen and a nice feel. Doesn't
            add any protection, just appearance and feel.

            > What kind of wax
            >should I use and how do I do it?

            Furniture paste wax - Johnson's, etc. There are better waxes available for
            fine furniture, but they are overkill for camp furniture.

            Cheers,
            Colin

            Albion Works
            Furniture and Accessories
            For the Medievalist!
            http://www.albionworks.net
            http://www.albionworks.com
          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 23, 2004
              What I have heard is once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a
              month for a year, then once a year for life. Does anyone have the reference
              for this wives tail?

              James Cunningham

              Being that it's an oil
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 24, 2004
                I think i first heard the tale  from Grand Pop when I was too little to realy care.
                Finn

              • kjworz@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 24, 2004
                  Oil it every day. Apply liberally. If it dries in one section, add more. Keep it oily 'wet' for 15 minutes. Then wipe off excess.

                  Oil it every day for a week.

                  Every week for a month.

                  Every month for a year.

                  Every year until you are dead.

                  (that's the old saying at least)

                  I, personally, oil it every other day for 4 or 5 coats. 10 days-ish. I like to let the oil cure. And it seems to take forever to cure. Use Boiled Linseed Oil, not raw.

                  --
                  -Chris Schwartz
                  Silver Spring, MD

                • kjworz@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 24, 2004
                    DANG!

                    You beat me to the old saying.

                    You could also use Tony Seo's Olde Tymey finish. Turpentine, Beeswax, and Boiled Linseed oil.

                    http://jointer.oldetoolshop.com/formula.html

                    is the recipe. ^^^

                    --
                    -Chris Schwartz
                    Silver Spring, MD
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 24, 2004
                      No reference, ohter than the success for the method.

                      If it's true, is it an old wives tale?

                      --
                      -Chris Schwartz
                      Silver Spring, MD
                      > What I have heard is once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a
                      > month for a year, then once a year for life. Does anyone have the reference
                      > for this wives tail?
                      >
                      > James Cunningham
                      >
                      > Being that it's an oil
                      > > that
                      > > soaks into the wood there is not really such a thing
                      > > as
                      > > a number of coats. more oil can be added later if
                      > > needed
                      > > if the wood looks like it's needed.
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Dragano Abbruciati

                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 24, 2004
                          For camp furniture, I like a nice satin-finish 21-century polyurethane.
                          To cut maintenance. You'll have to come back and oil that periodically.

                          But if you are going with an oil finish for camp furniture I prefer
                          about forty-five coats. No kidding.

                          Once a day for a month. Once a month for a year. Then once a year for
                          life.

                          Will

                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 24, 2004
                            Hey, those old wives weren't all stupid.

                            Will

                            No reference, ohter than the success for the method.

                            If it's true, is it an old wives tale?

                            --
                            -Chris Schwartz
                            Silver Spring, MD
                            > What I have heard is once a day for a week, once a week for a month,
                            once a
                            > month for a year, then once a year for life. Does anyone have the
                            reference
                            > for this wives tail?
                            >
                            > James Cunningham
                            >
                            > Being that it's an oil
                            > > that
                            > > soaks into the wood there is not really such a thing
                            > > as
                            > > a number of coats. more oil can be added later if
                            > > needed
                            > > if the wood looks like it's needed.
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                          • ghalstead@adelphia.net
                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 24, 2004
                              Theophilus (11th/12th C) mentions using cinnabar to redden linseed oil, so the concept is there. Cinnabar is a mercury compound, so it's not something you want to use.

                              Ranulf

                              > From: Dragano Abbruciati <dragano_abbruciati@...>
                              > Date: 2004/03/24 Wed AM 09:42:46 EST
                              > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                              > Subject: Re: [medievalsawdust] Finishing help
                              >
                              > Is there any evidence of "tinting" or "dying" linseed oil before using it? I have an embriotic thought stirring about how to finish one of my projects.
                              >
                              > Dragano
                            • Joseph Hayes
                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 24, 2004
                                --- Dragano Abbruciati <dragano_abbruciati@...> wrote:
                                > Is there any evidence of "tinting" or "dying" linseed oil before
                                > using it? I have an embriotic thought stirring about how to finish
                                > one of my projects.

                                In either Cennini or Theophilus there's a reference to using ground
                                cinnabar and/or resin on architectural woodwork.

                                I'm not sure what he meant by resin, so I tried an experiment to melt
                                amber in linseed oil. It didn't melt before I reached the limit of how
                                high I was willing to heat the oil.

                                Ulrich

                                http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                              • Gary Halstead
                                Message 15 of 28 , Mar 24, 2004
                                  Theophilus is cinnabar. Cennini talks about resin-based varnishes (but
                                  only in the context of varnishing pictures - I think (on the road again,
                                  no library)).

                                  Period resin sources are various sorts of plant saps (both fossilized
                                  and un) such as pine and larch resin, copal, amber, and mastic.
                                  Incorporating the resin into the oil generally involves heating the oil
                                  to boiling. Needless to say, this is not terribly safe. Sam Allen's
                                  _Classic Finishing Techniques_ gives a good overview of the process
                                  (although he's mostly working from 17th and 18th century sources).

                                  Ranulf

                                  Joseph Hayes wrote:
                                  > --- Dragano Abbruciati <dragano_abbruciati@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  >>Is there any evidence of "tinting" or "dying" linseed oil before
                                  >>using it? I have an embriotic thought stirring about how to finish
                                  >>one of my projects.
                                  >

                                  > In either Cennini or Theophilus there's a reference to using ground
                                  > cinnabar and/or resin on architectural woodwork.
                                  >
                                  > I'm not sure what he meant by resin, so I tried an experiment to melt
                                  > amber in linseed oil. It didn't melt before I reached the limit of how
                                  > high I was willing to heat the oil.
                                  >
                                  > Ulrich
                                • Dragano Abbruciati
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Mar 25, 2004
                                    Thanks for the leads.

                                    Dragano

                                    Joseph Hayes wrote:
                                    > --- Dragano Abbruciati <dragano_abbruciati@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    >>Is there any evidence of "tinting" or "dying" linseed oil before
                                    >>using it?  I have an embriotic thought stirring about how to finish
                                    >>one of my projects.
                                    >

                                    > In either Cennini or Theophilus there's a reference to using ground
                                    > cinnabar and/or resin on architectural woodwork.
                                    >
                                    > I'm not sure what he meant by resin, so I tried an experiment to melt
                                    > amber in linseed oil.  It didn't melt before I reached the limit of how
                                    > high I was willing to heat the oil.
                                    >
                                    > Ulrich

                                  • Dragano Abbruciati
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Mar 25, 2004
                                      No. I don't suppose I would want to use his cinnabar.

                                      I was only looking for the idea to be period.  I have some ideas of my own for the mixture.  As long as all the ingredients are period and the concept is there, it should be a plausible period practice.

                                      Thanks.

                                      Dragano

                                      ghalstead@... wrote:
                                      Theophilus (11th/12th C) mentions using cinnabar to redden linseed oil, so the concept is there. Cinnabar is a mercury compound, so it's not something you want to use.

                                      Ranulf

                                      > From: Dragano Abbruciati <dragano_abbruciati@...>
                                      > Date: 2004/03/24 Wed AM 09:42:46 EST
                                      > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                                      > Subject: Re: [medievalsawdust] Finishing help
                                      >
                                      > Is there any evidence of "tinting" or "dying" linseed oil before using it?  I have an embriotic thought stirring about how to finish one of my projects.

                                      > Dragano

                                    • Dragano Abbruciati
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Mar 25, 2004
                                        Resin might have been just congealed tree sap.  It would mix more easily if it was powdered with motar an pestle before being added to the oil.  But, I don't know.  I'm still working on my ideas.

                                        Dragano

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Mar 25, 2004
                                          > Period resin sources are various sorts of plant saps (both fossilized
                                          > and un) such as pine and larch resin, copal, amber, and mastic.

                                          Yea, I figured as much, but I thought what the hell and raided my
                                          wife's amber bead chache.

                                          > Sam Allen's _Classic Finishing Techniques_ gives a good overview of
                                          > the process (although he's mostly working from 17th and 18th century
                                          > sources).

                                          On a whim, I entered +amber +resin +varnish +"16th century" into Yahoo
                                          and hit this site: http://www.jamescgroves.com/germanambervarnish.htm
                                          He's talking about oil painting, but it looks interesting. Maybe
                                          something known to one trade was known to another......

                                          Ulrich

                                          http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                                        • windsingersmoon
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Mar 26, 2004
                                            Johnson's used to make a paste floor wax that I'm hoarding the
                                            remainder of because I can't find it anymore)
                                            But you can make your own by running beeswax through a cheeze
                                            shreader and stirring drops of turpentine into it until it gets the
                                            right consistancy you want. Adding a few drops of olive-oil may
                                            also be done to change the consistancy a bit. (tore it in a sealed
                                            container...I prefer glass, but that's just me)

                                            Linseed oil will dry to it's own tough finish....given time.
                                            Go with the Boiled oil if you can....dries MONTHS faster than the
                                            raw. Keep in mind, the more coats, the tougher the finish.....but
                                            it Will Mold on you if you aren't careful to keep it dry while it's
                                            drying. (I coated an antique spinning wheel with it, and because
                                            of the smell, left that outside under cover.....but the dew seattled
                                            upon it.......yuck !!!! major mess.
                                            Shara

                                            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Jachim"
                                            <Ron_Jachim@H...> wrote:
                                            > I want to finish some camp woodwork that I made of white pine --
                                            just
                                            > basic stuff like a chest and a table. I'm thinking linseed oil
                                            for a
                                            > nice period finish. That seems to be the choice of many here.
                                            >
                                            > How many coats should I use & how long should I let them dry
                                            between
                                            > coats. Should I wax over the last coat of oil? What kind of wax
                                            > should I use and how do I do it?
                                            >
                                            > Thanks,
                                            > Ron
                                          • windsingersmoon
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Mar 26, 2004
                                              Thankyou Chris
                                              I've added that to my bookmarks.
                                              When are you coming over to Gypsy Fire ???
                                              Did you know that Tony is there ????
                                              hugz
                                              Shara

                                              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, kjworz@c... wrote:

                                              > DANG!
                                              >
                                              > You beat me to the old saying.
                                              >
                                              > You could also use Tony Seo's Olde Tymey finish. Turpentine,
                                              Beeswax, and Boiled Linseed oil.

                                              > http://jointer.oldetoolshop.com/formula.html
                                              >
                                              > is the recipe. ^^^
                                              >

                                              > --
                                              > -Chris Schwartz
                                              > Silver Spring, MD
                                            • windsingersmoon
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Mar 26, 2004
                                                I never thought on it, til you mentioned it, but being an oil that
                                                is golden and forms a tough film, you might try mixing oil paint
                                                into it for colors, I just don't know how much.
                                                Personally I think I may go experiment and add some finely sifted
                                                yellow ocre or red to some and see what happens....might be fun....
                                                Shara (thanks for another project idea....)

                                                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Dragano Abbruciati
                                                <dragano_abbruciati@y...> wrote:
                                                > Is there any evidence of "tinting" or "dying" linseed oil before
                                                using it? I have an embriotic thought stirring about how to finish
                                                one of my projects.

                                                > Dragano
                                                >
                                                > Arthur Slaughter <fion@c...> wrote:
                                                > One old formula is " A coat a day for a week, a coat a week for a
                                                month , and a coat a year for ever.
                                                > Myself,self I use about four coats spread over a week or so.
                                                > For durability I usualy use a carnauba based gym floor wax on
                                                things that will be hauled aaround to events. For period pieces I
                                                use beeswax disolved in turps.
                                                > Finn

                                                Service.

                                                > Do you Yahoo!?
                                              • windsingersmoon
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Mar 26, 2004
                                                  I think the reference was to pine resin....what you get when you
                                                  wound a pine tree.....I bought a whole box full in South GA a year
                                                  or two ago, down at the agricultural re-creation farm (I've suddenly
                                                  forgotten the name of) for about 4$....now, if I can only remember
                                                  where i hid it.....
                                                  shara

                                                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Hayes

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Mar 26, 2004
                                                    Ya know....it's a good thing my lord is aware that my previous 2
                                                    husbands died young.....(29 and 32).....because to have mine raid my
                                                    amber stash, even for sca-experiments, would have him added to my
                                                    earlier list.......and I'd make it look like an
                                                    accident......'choked on a chunk of amber'.....gee, wonder why the
                                                    man thought it might be edible........'

                                                    <von_landstuhl@y...> wrote:

                                                    > > Yea, I figured as much, but I thought what the hell and raided my
                                                    > wife's amber bead chache.

                                                  • Dragano Abbruciati
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Mar 29, 2004
                                                      I hadn't thought of oil paint.......?  That would certainly give me a wider color range.  Actually, I was going to check with Vangelista on oil soluable plant dyes.  Hmmmm...  So many projects - so little time.

                                                      Dragano

                                                      <dragano_abbruciati@y...> wrote:
                                                      > Is there any evidence of "tinting" or "dying" linseed oil before
                                                      using it?  I have an embriotic thought stirring about how to finish
                                                      one of my projects.

                                                      > Dragano
                                                      >
                                                      > Arthur Slaughter <fion@c...> wrote:
                                                      > One old formula is " A coat a day for a week, a coat a week for a
                                                      month , and a coat a year for ever.
                                                      >   Myself,self I use about four coats spread over a week or so.
                                                      > For durability I usualy use a carnauba based gym floor wax on
                                                      things that will be hauled aaround to events. For period pieces I
                                                      use beeswax disolved in turps.
                                                      > Finn

                                                      Service.

                                                    • kjworz@comcast.net
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Mar 29, 2004
                                                        remember... no Titanium White. That color got the Vinland Map in trouble.

                                                        http://www.isidore-of-seville.com/vinland/

                                                        --
                                                        -Chris Schwartz
                                                        Silver Spring, MD

                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Apr 7 7:25 PM
                                                            They still make the paste wax, I finally found it at our local Meijer with floor wax stuff.  Don't recall the price but I could send ya some if need be.

                                                            Oengus.