Furniture

  • fbnewtz
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 14, 2002
      I recently cut down three trees in my back yard and have tons of wood
      to use. I am interested in furniture or other time period projects.
      I have a shopsmith 5, so kitchen utensils, bowls etc are all welcome
      ideas. Thanks in advance.

      Fred
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 14, 2002
        Look into some of Roy Underhill's books
        for ideas on how to start with a tree...

        What kind of things have you done before?

        What kind of things would you like to try?

        What kinds of handtools do you have?

        Are you connected to the SCA? Interested?

        --- fbnewtz <fbnewtz@...> wrote:
        > I recently cut down three trees in my back yard and
        > have tons of wood
        > to use. I am interested in furniture or other time
        > period projects.
        > I have a shopsmith 5, so kitchen utensils, bowls etc
        > are all welcome
        > ideas. Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Fred

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • Fred Newtz
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 15, 2002
          First of all thanks for the reply. I am interested in the SCA, but I am not
          really into the role playing stuff. Now I am interested in the authentic
          period pieces as a history buff more than anything. I really have never
          done anything harder than putting a new door in a external wall so most of
          my experience is relating to construction. I inherited all of my
          grandfathers tools so I have quite a bit of stuff, but probably not the hand
          tools you are referring to, these are all electric. I also have a shop
          smith model 500 and a shop smith 11 inch bandsaw and a plainer. I can also
          get my hands on any tools that will be required for a project basically.

          I am wanting to do foot stools, chairs possibly, bowls (since I have a lathe
          obviously), and also interested in hand utensils. I found a website that
          offered a booklet on how to make bowls for only 1.95 and cannot find the
          website anymore and forgot to bookmark it. That is the first thing I wanted
          to try as I have been wanting to get my hands wet on the lathe for a while
          now.

          I am looking up books from Roy right now. Thanks for tip!

          Fred
          > for ideas on how to start with a tree...
          >
          > What kind of things have you done before?
          >
          > What kind of things would you like to try?
          >
          > What kinds of handtools do you have?
          >
          > Are you connected to the SCA? Interested?
          >

          > --- fbnewtz <fbnewtz@...> wrote:
          > > I recently cut down three trees in my back yard and
          > > have tons of wood
          > > to use. I am interested in furniture or other time
          > > period projects.
          > > I have a shopsmith 5, so kitchen utensils, bowls etc
          > > are all welcome
          > > ideas. Thanks in advance.
          > >
          > > Fred

        • baronconal
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 15, 2002
            For books on turning bowls try the library...
            Look for books put out by woodworking magizines and
            books on using a lathe.

            Or just go to your local MEGA bookstore ( Barnes
            and Noble, Borders, whatever...) and sit down and
            look at a few books there

            Check here for some ideas on reproducing some
            chairs and stools, and a table
            http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/oakley.html

            Check here for other related stuff....
            http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/topics.htm

            Anyone else got ideas?

            Conal

            --- In medievalsawdust@y..., "Fred Newtz" <fbnewtz@h...> wrote:
            > First of all thanks for the reply. I am interested in the SCA, but
            I am not
            > really into the role playing stuff. Now I am interested in the
            authentic
            > period pieces as a history buff more than anything. I really have
            never
            > done anything harder than putting a new door in a external wall so
            most of
            > my experience is relating to construction. I inherited all of my
            > grandfathers tools so I have quite a bit of stuff, but probably not
            the hand
            > tools you are referring to, these are all electric. I also have a
            shop
            > smith model 500 and a shop smith 11 inch bandsaw and a plainer. I
            can also
            > get my hands on any tools that will be required for a project
            basically.

            > I am wanting to do foot stools, chairs possibly, bowls (since I have
            a lathe
            > obviously), and also interested in hand utensils. I found a website
            that
            > offered a booklet on how to make bowls for only 1.95 and cannot find
            the
            > website anymore and forgot to bookmark it. That is the first thing
            I wanted
            > to try as I have been wanting to get my hands wet on the lathe for a
            while
            > now.
            >
            > I am looking up books from Roy right now. Thanks for tip!
            >
            > Fred
          • Kevin Grimm
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 16, 2002
              I took a good course on bowl turning from green wood at Woodcraft. The cost
              of the class was $60.00 and taught just about everything from cutting the
              tree to finishing the bowl. Best $60.00 I ever spent