Re: [medievalsawdust] next discussion question

  • Dan Baker
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
      I was doing research for my last A&S project and found a viking ship burial
      with artifacts all made out of oak. On another ship burial, with almost
      identical items, they were all made out of beech. Now, there has to be a
      reason for that. My assumption was that the first artisan had access to a
      ready supply of oak, while the other had access to a ready supply of beech.
      Certainly in modern times we use specific woods for specific projects. But
      did they in period? My guess is not nearly as much. If I were a perion
      craftsman making a use item rather then a show item, my first concern for
      the material is that is met the weight or strength that I needed for that
      project.

      --
      YIS,

      Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer