Re: [medievalsawdust] next discussion question

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
      > Remember, you're turning green. note how
      > it dries and ages???

      Ok how about this variation...

      You can get the 'right' wood, but
      only dry and the project wants green
      wood....
      Whatcha do then?

      =====

      http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
    • Dan Baker
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
        I was doing research for my last A&S project and found a viking ship burial
        with artifacts all made out of oak. On another ship burial, with almost
        identical items, they were all made out of beech. Now, there has to be a
        reason for that. My assumption was that the first artisan had access to a
        ready supply of oak, while the other had access to a ready supply of beech.
        Certainly in modern times we use specific woods for specific projects. But
        did they in period? My guess is not nearly as much. If I were a perion
        craftsman making a use item rather then a show item, my first concern for
        the material is that is met the weight or strength that I needed for that
        project.

        --
        YIS,

        Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer