Re: [medievalsawdust] next discussion question

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7 4:45 PM
      > You're making a piece. In period they would have
      > used X, which is all
      > well and good if you happen to have ready access to
      > it, but in fact all
      > you have access to is the common domestics and the
      > occasional African or
      > Australian exotic that the guys at the local
      > hardwood shop sells. What
      > species do you use?
      >
      > Avery

      I'd do a little research and find out if I
      can get the 'right' wood at a price I can afford
      from some supplyer off the beaten path, if the
      item being made is important enough to 'deserve'
      one specific type of wood ( maybe a english yew
      longbow... that kinda narrows down the choices
      a bit.... )

      If I can't get it or can't afford it or
      justify the expense ( based on what it is ),
      then I'd research the properties of the 'right' wood
      and try to find something that matches as many
      characteristics as I can. Usually there is
      some other choice that has enough similar
      properites to make a suitable replacement.

      Example.
      European Oak vs. White Oak vs. Red Oak

      All have similar visual characteristics, but
      White oak has a finer grain while red oak can
      chip and splinter....But white oak is less
      common and therefore more expensive.

      =====

      http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 7 4:49 PM
        > Remember, you're turning green. note how
        > it dries and ages???

        Ok how about this variation...

        You can get the 'right' wood, but
        only dry and the project wants green
        wood....
        Whatcha do then?

        =====

        http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
      • Dan Baker
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 7 7:04 PM
          I was doing research for my last A&S project and found a viking ship burial
          with artifacts all made out of oak. On another ship burial, with almost
          identical items, they were all made out of beech. Now, there has to be a
          reason for that. My assumption was that the first artisan had access to a
          ready supply of oak, while the other had access to a ready supply of beech.
          Certainly in modern times we use specific woods for specific projects. But
          did they in period? My guess is not nearly as much. If I were a perion
          craftsman making a use item rather then a show item, my first concern for
          the material is that is met the weight or strength that I needed for that
          project.

          --
          YIS,

          Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer