wood question

  • vinlandar
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 7, 2002
      Well, um, I've only made three pieces in my life, and they are all
      three in that pic I uploaded. I used oak on the chairs because I
      thought one board with some legs wouldn't be too easy to screw up. I
      used pine on the chest because I didn't know how it would come out,
      and didn't want to waste really good wood on a project that bombed.
      As I gain more experience I'll probably get bolder and try some
      better woods.

      What the heck is Querqus rubrawhatchamacallit?

      -Charlie
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 7, 2002

        > What the heck is Querqus rubrawhatchamacallit?
        >

        > -Charlie

        English Oak...I didn't know that either....

        http://www.cloudberryfurniture.se/english/oak.html

        =====

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 7, 2002
          --- vinlandar <vinlandar@...> wrote:
          > What the heck is Querqus rubrawhatchamacallit?

          Querqus robur = English oak
          Querqus rubra = Red Oak
          Querqus alba = White Oak

          UvL

          http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
        • vinlandar
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 7, 2002
            ooOOOOohhhh.... Thanks, :-)

            -Charlie

          • lambdakennels1@juno.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 11, 2008
              Does birds-eye maple exist in Europe or is it strictly a North American phenomenon?  I know it is caused by a beetle biting the maple, and infecting it with a fungus that causes the birds-eye appearence.  What I don't know is the name of the beetle or fungus and if it exists in Europe, or did before 1600.  Does anyone know?  Thank you.

              Lady Stephanie Lilburn
              Stephanie Smith, Ph.D
              http://lambdafarm.mysite.com/
              Owned by a Poodle and an Australian Cattle Dog
              K5AMK

              Click here for low prices on a huge selection of popcorn poppers!

            • Oakes, George
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 12, 2008
                Oh gosh, I can't answer your question, in fact I didn't even know it was a beetle that cause the imperfection.

                But its such a beautiful wood!! If your considering making a period item from it, and are leaning away from the wood because it "May NOT have existed in Period" and of course its not for an Art/Sci Project, by all means use the wood. Its just so darn pretty.

                On the other hand if you are going for "Period" then most wood was painted anyway, as it was considered "Poor Quality" if the wood was left bare and unfinished, The nobles would spend lots of money to have the wood covered with bright colors. It wasnt until the 17th and 18th centurties that people began to admire the finish of natural wood grains and patterns.

                Gavin Kinkade
                Kingdom of Trimaris
                (George Oakes)
                W4GLO

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 12, 2008
                  Here's a good explanation of birds-eye maple or bird's eye maple or birdseye maple. They can't agree on how to spell it much less what causes it.

                  RdA
                  Tools alone do not a craftsman make.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                • scott gates
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 12, 2008
                    Sugar Maples are North American only. Pretty much on the east side of the US. Some in lower Canada.

                    Evil is, as Evil does

                    To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                    From: lambdakennels1@...
                    Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 01:00:15 +0000

                    Does birds-eye maple exist in Europe or is it strictly a North American phenomenon?  I know it is caused by a beetle biting the maple, and infecting it with a fungus that causes the birds-eye appearence.  What I don't know is the name of the beetle or fungus and if it exists in Europe, or did before 1600.  Does anyone know?  Thank you.

                    Lady Stephanie Lilburn
                    Stephanie Smith, Ph.D
                    http://lambdafarm. mysite.com/
                    Owned by a Poodle and an Australian Cattle Dog
                    K5AMK

                    Click here for low prices on a huge selection of popcorn poppers!

                    Instantly invite friends from Facebook and other social networks to join you on Windows Live™ Messenger. Invite friends now!
                  • i_odlin
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 12, 2008
                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Oakes, George" <goakes@...>
                      wrote:

                      > On the other hand if you are going for "Period" then most wood was
                      > painted anyway, as it was considered "Poor Quality" if the wood was
                      > left bare and unfinished

                      No matter how many times this tired trope gets repeated, it doesn't
                      become any more correct.

                      If you spend any time whatsoever looking though illuminated
                      manuscripts, you start to discover that most period furniture depicted
                      was either left unpainted or medieval craftsmen spent mind-boggling
                      amounts of time painting faux woodgrain on their wood furniture...

                      -Iain of Malagentia
                    • Oakes, George
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 12, 2008
                        Ouch that was harsh.

                        Maybe next time I will keep my opinion to myself.

                        Sorry to have offended.

                        if you are going for "Period" then most wood was
                        > painted anyway, as it
                        was considered "Poor Quality" if the wood was
                        > left bare and
                        unfinished

                        No matter how many times this tired trope gets repeated, it doesn't
                        become any more correct.

                        If you spend any time whatsoever looking though illuminated
                        manuscripts, you start to discover that most period furniture depicted
                        was either left unpainted or medieval craftsmen spent mind-boggling
                        amounts of time painting faux woodgrain on their wood furniture...

                        -Iain of Malagentia

                      • leaking pen
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 12, 2008
                          Seriously. I have seen pleny of sources of the, everything for nobles
                          was painted, commoner stuff was left unpainted. Do you have some
                          direct sources for your statement that that widely held conception is
                          false?

                          On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Oakes, George <goakes@...> wrote:
                          > Ouch that was harsh.
                          >
                          > Maybe next time I will keep my opinion to myself.
                          >
                          > Sorry to have offended.
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • Copernicus Skygazer
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 12, 2008
                            Well, I know of one 16th century chest, with gorgeous wood inlay and
                            carving at the Walters Museum in Baltimore that was clearly not painted at
                            all, and hardly for a commoner. So obviously both were done in period. And
                            it's always hard to tell from illuminations due to the little "artistic
                            licences" taken.

                            And you also have to be careful with "painted" pieces in museums. The
                            original may not have been painted, and painted in a latter age, or had
                            been painted and the paint worn off disappeared. (the one in the walters
                            was obviously not painted, and the finish was so well done, I'm jealous of
                            someone who has been dead for 4-5 centuries).

                            So, as both were done, you can choose which way to go with your work, and
                            possibly document either if you wish. At this particular age of humanity,
                            we once again tend to abhor hiding beautiful wood grain with paint, which
                            influences our work on "medieval" pieces. And while I have no evidence at
                            this time, it's quite possible such things went in and out of fashion
                            during the history of Europe as well.

                            YIS,
                            Phillipos the Skeptic, OL

                            On Thu, 12 Jun 2008, leaking pen wrote:

                            > Seriously. I have seen pleny of sources of the, everything for nobles
                            > was painted, commoner stuff was left unpainted. Do you have some
                            > direct sources for your statement that that widely held conception is
                            > false?
                            >
                            > On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Oakes, George <goakes@...> wrote:
                            >> Ouch that was harsh.
                            >>
                            >> Maybe next time I will keep my opinion to myself.
                            >>
                            >> Sorry to have offended.
                            >>

                            >> ________________________________

                          • Tracy Swanson
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 12, 2008
                              Actually, a Faux Bois, or false wood finish is quite quick and easy to apply - it just looks as though it took forever, because the layers of paint are only partially opaque, allowing the lower coats to show through. Having worked backstage, I have painted faux bois and faux stone on many occasions. Most of the sets on Lyric's presentation of The Unsinkable Molly Brown was done in faux bois, by me. I was only painting that finish for three days, including the platforms that were grained as well.

                              In Magical Service,
                              Malaki

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 12, 2008
                                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, scott gates <bitterpluto@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Sugar Maples are North American only. Pretty much on the east side
                                of the US. Some in lower Canada.

                                True, at least native. I know it's been planted in Europe though.

                                Also many types of Maple still will exhibit the figure called
                                "birds-eye", beyond Sugar: Bigleaf, Rock, Vine, etc.

                                My guess is yes, birds-eye was known, and probably treasured. From
                                what I have seen, in items that were never painted, there has always
                                been a demand for highly figured wood.

                                TTFN
                                Ralg
                                AnTir
                              • David Stous
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 12, 2008
                                  Ralg,
                                  Just as a point of information from someone who lives in the Maple Sugar capital of the planet (St. Albans, Franklin county, Vermont, USA).

                                  You mentioned the same wood twice.  Sugar Maple and Rock Maple are the same thing.

                                  YIS,
                                  Dafydd of Verulanium
                                  ====
                                  mka
                                  David Stous
                                  Chief Maille Smith
                                  Wolf's Den Armoury
                                  St. Albans, VT USA

                                  > Sugar Maples are North American only. Pretty much on the east side
                                  of the US. Some in lower Canada.

                                  True, at least native. I know it's been planted in Europe though.

                                  Also many types of Maple still will exhibit the figure called
                                  "birds-eye", beyond Sugar: Bigleaf, Rock, Vine, etc.

                                  My guess is yes, birds-eye was known, and probably treasured. From
                                  what I have seen, in items that were never painted, there has always
                                  been a demand for highly figured wood.

                                  TTFN
                                  Ralg
                                  AnTir

                                • AlbionWood
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 12, 2008
                                    If you look through 15th -16th c. illuminations (and paintings, and tapestries) you will indeed see a lot of unpainted furniture.  You can also find quite a lot of it in museums, including some very high-quality (and obviously upper-market) carved pieces.  But go to 13th c. French MSS and you will search in vain for a piece of unpainted wooden furniture!  (In fact it's hard to find a piece of 13th c. French _stone_ that wasn't painted.  They really like their polychrome in 13th c. France.)  Even in 14th c. Northern European paintings and MSS you rarely see any unpainted wooden furniture.  Go back to the 12th c. and earlier, and the art is usually not representational enough to really tell.

                                    So, it's not a "tired trope," in fact there is a great deal of evidence to support the idea that most upper-class furniture (and virtually all devotional sculpture) in the early and "high" Middle Ages (i.e. up to about the 15th c.) was painted.  In the late MA and Early Modern period, from about 1450, there is substantial evidence to show that a lot of furniture (and some devotional sculpture as well; esp. German) was unpainted, even in very upper-class settings.

                                    Can we please remember to include some temporal and cultural referents to identify the "period" we are talking about, whenever we make these kinds of statements?  Thanks.

                                    Cheers,
                                    Colin

                                    wrote:

                                    On the other hand if you are going for "Period" then most wood was
                                    painted anyway, as it was considered "Poor Quality" if the wood was
                                    left bare and unfinished

                                    No matter how many times this tired trope gets repeated, it doesn't
                                    become any more correct.

                                    If you spend any time whatsoever looking though illuminated
                                    manuscripts, you start to discover that most period furniture depicted
                                    was either left unpainted or medieval craftsmen spent mind-boggling
                                    amounts of time painting faux woodgrain on their wood furniture...

                                    -Iain of Malagentia

                                  • julian wilson
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 13, 2008
                                      --- On Fri, 13/6/08, AlbionWood <albionwood@...> wrote:
                                      QUOTE
                                      If you look through 15th -16th c. illuminations (and paintings, and tapestries) you will indeed see a lot of unpainted furniture. You can also find quite a lot of it in museums, including some very high-quality (and obviously upper-market) carved pieces. But go to 13th c. French MSS and you will search in vain for a piece of unpainted wooden furniture! SNIPPED FOR BREVITY
                                      Can we please remember to include some temporal and cultural referents to identify the "period" we are talking about, whenever we make these kinds of statements? UNQUOTE

                                      COMMENT
                                      Thank you, Colin, I couldn't have described the situation any better myself. The "Treaty of Calais Chest" comes to mind as an example of an artifact which has remained in Government archives ever since the signing of the Treaty, and is therefore unlikely to have been re-decorated at any time. It's very-thoroughly painted; and the paintwork is original to the time of the Treaty.
                                      There are pictures of the chest on line.
                                      I realise that "one swallow doesn't make a summer" - but I was aware [in making my own earlier statements on this subject elsewhere]  -  of the existance of at least some of the 13th and 14th century illustrations that you cite. And of the highly-organised supra-national Trading network that covered the whole of Western Europe during that period.
                                      "Fashion" was then - [and to a certain extent is now - ] a high-value, low-weight trade item,  - and I have always argued that those burghers, gentles, and Nobles with the money to spend would have "followed the fashions" whenever possible.

                                      Servus,
                                      Matthew Baker